Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript


[00:00:02]

IT IS 1:03 PM.

[Call to Order & Introductions ]

UH, YOU ARE CONVENING THIS MEETING OF THE CAN FOR THE DIRECTORS.

I AM COUNCIL MEMBER, JIMMY FLANNIGAN.

YOU ARE FOUR CHAIR IN MY FINAL MEETING AS YOUR BOARD CHAIR AT THE END OF 2020.

UM, WHY DON'T WE, DO WE HAVE ANY CITIZENS COMMUNICATION? NO.

ALRIGHT THEN, UH, RAUL, THANK YOU FOR SENDING THE GOOGLE DRIVE.

I THINK THAT'S THE GREAT INNOVATION AND HOW WE RUN OUR MEETINGS.

ANY COMMENTS

[Consider approval of Minutes for November 13th, 2020 CAN Board meeting. (Action Item) ]

ON THE MINUTES OR EMOTION ON THE MINUTES? RICH SIEGEL MAKES THE MOTION AND ANY SECOND NORA SECONDS, ANY COMMENTS? ALL RIGHT, THEN WITHOUT OBJECTION, THE MINUTES ARE APPROVED.

NORA,

[Community Council Update ]

YOU HAVE A COMMUNITY COUNCIL UPDATE FOR US.

BASICALLY, WE HAD OUR FIRST PLANNING SESSION, UM, LAST MONTH, UH, 30TH, NOVEMBER THE 30TH, AND WE ALSO ELECTED, UH, FIVE NEW MEMBERS TO THE COUNCIL.

AND WE'VE ALSO GOT, UH, TWO MORE COMING UP FOR OUR NEXT MEETING.

SO WE HAD OUR FIRST PLANNING SESSION AND WE INCLUDED THEM.

THEY WERE INTERESTED IN, IN PARTICIPATING IN ONE THEY'RE SO EAGER.

AND I THINK WE'RE ALL REALLY EXCITED ABOUT THE POSSIBILITIES FOR NEXT YEAR, BECAUSE WE, WE WANT CIVIC ENGAGEMENT IN THE WORST WAY, AND IT WAS REALLY HARD THIS YEAR, NOT TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT.

SO WE'RE GOING TO BE, UM, VERY ENGAGED AND OUR GOAL REALLY IS TO CONNECT WITH THE GOALS OF THE CAN.

AND WE'RE GOING TO BE INVITING YOU AS CANNED MEMBERS TO PARTICIPATE WITH US AS WE LOOK AT, UM, BASIC NEEDS, UH, WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH WHAT YOU, UH, THE CAN BOARD HAS IN MIND.

SO WE'LL FIGURE OUT WAYS TO LINK AND TO WORK TOGETHER.

AND YOU'LL SEE MORE OF THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEMBERS COMING ON WITH ME.

AND I JUST WANT TO THANK, UH, ROLL AND THE STAFF FOR THE INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF WORK THAT THEY HAVE DONE WITH US IN ORDER TO, UM, GET THIS FAR.

AND I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO 2021 AND OUR, UM, NEW CHAIR.

THIS IS MY LAST MEETING ALSO.

UM, I'M GOING TO STAY THERE AND I'M GOING TO BE THERE WITH NANCY GILLIAM, WHO IS OUR CHAIR FOR NEXT YEAR AND RACHEL HAMPTON.

WHO'S OUR VICE CHAIR AND I'LL BE PAST, AND I'M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT AND I'M WEARING GREEN.

SO I LOOK LIKE I DON'T PAV.

I WAS GOING TO SAY, NORA, THE WIZARD OF OZ IS SOMEBODY'S HEAD OVERSEEING THE WORLD AND I'M HERE FOR IT.

I'M HERE FOR IT.

COUNCIL MEMBER, AND NORA, YOU'RE BOTH JUST A LITTLE BIT TOO EXCITED ABOUT THE FACT THAT THIS IS YOUR, YOUR LAST, UM, UH, MEETING AS, AS BOARD CHAIRS, BUT THAT'S OKAY.

UM, NORA, I WANTED TO ASK THAT, ARE YOU WILLING TO SHARE THE NAMES OF THE NEW FOLKS THAT YOU'VE ADDED TO THAT COMMUNITY COUNCIL HAS ADDED AND WE'LL HAVE THEM IMMEDIATELY IN FRONT OF ME? I DID THINK ABOUT THAT.

SO CHEAP.

LET ME PUT THEM IN THE CHAT FOR EVERYBODY.

AND AGAIN, I HAVE TWO MORE COMING ON AND I NEED TO ASK YOU TO HELP ME GET A BIO FOR ANIME.

OKAY, GREAT.

ALL RIGHT, THANKS.

I'LL PUT IT IN THE CHAT.

MY APOLOGIES.

EXCELLENT.

THANK YOU.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS ABOUT COMMUNITY COUNCIL? ALL RIGHT.

THANK YOU.

NORA ROLE.

WE HAVE AN EXECUTIVE

[Executive Director’s Report ]

DIRECTOR'S REPORT.

YEAH, I GOT A FEW SLIDES.

IT'S PRETTY SHORT TOO.

CAUSE WE HAVE SOME, UH, OUR NORMAL DECEMBER BUSINESS, WHICH IS WORK PLAN AND BUDGET AND ALL THAT STUFF.

UM, BUT JUST GOING TO GO OVER THE STAKEHOLDER SURVEY A LITTLE BIT.

UM, BUT, UH, I WILL NOTE THAT ONE OF THE NEW COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEMBERS, HER NAME IS KELLY CROOK AND, UH, I THINK Y'ALL MAY RECOGNIZE THAT NAME AND, AND I'M SO EXCITED TO HAVE DR.

COOK ON MY COMMUNITY COUNCIL.

UH, SHE'S VERY DETAIL ORIENTED.

THAT'S ALL I'LL SAY RIGHT AS OUR ALL SUPERINTENDENT.

UM, OR, UH, SO, UH, BUT ANYWAY, SO I DON'T KNOW HOW NORRIS SCORED THAT, BUT NORA HAS THOSE, UH, WIZARD OF OZ POWERS, I GUESS.

UM, BUT, UM, UM, SO YEAH, SO I THINK, YOU KNOW, WE'VE, UH, WE'RE ON OUR WAY WITH COMMUNITY COUNCIL, RIGHT.

TO KIND OF MAPPING OUT, UM, WHAT NEXT YEAR LOOKS LIKE.

AND IT'S, UM, IT'S KIND OF INTERESTING.

UM, WE WERE JUST TALKING WITH NORA, RIGHT.

YOU KNOW, CAUSE WE BOTH ATTENDED HEALTH EQUITY POLICY COUNCIL, YOU KNOW, AT CENTRAL HEALTH KIND OF MANAGES AND WE WERE AT COMMUNITY SCHOOLS YESTERDAY AND WE'RE ALL OLLY ISSUES THAT ARE TALKED ABOUT ARE PRETTY SIMILAR AND IT JUST KIND OF MAKES YOU WONDER WHAT MEETING AM I IN? AND, UM, AND AGAIN, YOU KNOW, IT JUST, IT REALLY KIND OF HIGHLIGHTS THE NEED FOR US TO MAKE SURE, AGAIN, WE'RE TALKING TO EACH OTHER TO MAKE SURE WE'RE NOT DUPLICATING EFFORTS OR THAT WE'RE NOT DOING SOME, YOU KNOW, OUR WORK IN A VACUUM BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, IF, IF WE'VE IDENTIFIED A CHALLENGE OR ISSUE,

[00:05:01]

CHANCES ARE OTHERS HAVE TOO.

SO, UM, AND AGAIN, THE, UH, THE ABILITY TO HAVE AN IMPACT ON THESE, UM, CAUSE BIG ISSUES OR, YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW, MAGNA IS MAGNIFIED IF WE CAN DO IT TOGETHER RIGHT.

AND NOT IN OUR OWN LITTLE SILO WITH OUR OWN LITTLE GROUP.

AND SO, UM, SO I LOOK FORWARD TO JUST KIND OF MAPPING SOME OF THAT OUT AND SOME OF THAT'S REFLECTED IN OUR WORK PLAN.

SO WE'LL GET TO THAT IN A LITTLE BIT.

UH, BUT I DID HAVE A FEW SLIDES TO SHARE IF, UH, I CAN BE, IF NORA, IF YOU CAN WAVE YOUR WINE AND GIVE ME THE POWERS OR UNTIL LENA CAN GIVE ME SOME TIME, THERE WE GO.

UH, SO REALLY AGAIN, I'M JUST GOING TO MAINLY GO OVER THE STAKEHOLDER SURVEY AND UM, AND NOW I KIND OF PLUG THAT IN AND I'M GOING TO ASK JULIANA TO PUT THE LINK TO THAT AGAIN, AND YOU STILL WANT TO DO THAT.

YOU CAN STILL FILL IT OUT.

SO WE'LL SHARE THE LINK TO THAT.

UM, BUT, UM, BUT IT'S BEEN, YOU KNOW, A HECK OF A YEAR JUST LIKE WITH EVERYONE ELSE, YOU KNOW, WE'VE ALL KIND OF PIVOTED, YOU KNOW, AND HAD TO DO STUFF THAT WE DIDN'T NORMALLY DO.

AND, UM, WELL, WE DIDN'T PLAN ON DOING, I SHOULD SAY, AND STILL TRY TO TRY TO DO WHAT YOU SET OUT TO DO, BUT ALSO, UH, TRY TO RESPOND RIGHT TO WHAT WE SEE HAPPENING ON THE GROUND, UM, IN THE COMMUNITY.

AND, UM, SO I WANTED TO SHARE JUST A LITTLE BIT, YOU KNOW, CAUSE I WAS INTERESTED IN WHAT PEOPLE WERE THINKING.

I THINK THERE'S OBVIOUSLY SOME SURVEY FATIGUE OUT THERE BECAUSE THERE'S NO SHORTAGE OF, OF SURVEYS THAT, UM, THAT WE'VE ALL HAD TO FILL OUT.

AND, UM, AND, UH, AND OURS IS PRETTY, PRETTY STRAIGHT AND TO THE POINT AND UM, BUT, UH, WE DID HAVE, WE HAVE ABOUT 80 RESPONSES SO FAR AND YOU KNOW, AGAIN, IF YOU STILL WANT TO RESPOND, YOU CAN, UH, WE'LL KIND OF TURN THIS LOOKOUT.

IT CLOSES OUT AND SUBMIT THE RESULTS TO, UH, UM, NEXT WEEK, RIGHT.

TO OUR, TO OUR PARTNERS AND REQUEST THIS INFORMATION.

AND UM, AND AGAIN, WE WANT TO HAVE A MIX, RIGHT? WE DON'T WANT IT JUST TO BE THE BOARD OR JUST NON AFFILIATED PEOPLE THAT CAN, AND WE HAVE A PRETTY GOOD MIX HERE IN TERMS OF, UM, BOARD, COMMUNITY COUNCIL, WORK, GROUP MEMBERS, DIALOGUE, SUMMIT PARTICIPANTS, ET CETERA.

WE USUALLY GET UP IN A HUNDRED, 125 RESPONSES.

SO WE'RE KIND OF LOW ON THAT, UH, THIS TIME AROUND.

UM, BUT WE DO HAVE A, USUALLY WE'RE IN THE, AROUND 70 TO 75%, USUALLY AROUND, UM, OUR RESPONSES ARE SUPPORT FOR OUR WORK AND, YOU KNOW, WE'RE AT 72.6% A YEAR ON, UH, OUR ABILITY TO EFFECTIVELY, UH, INCREASE COMMUNITY AWARENESS ABOUT ISSUES.

UM, AND SO, UH, AND AGAIN, WE TRY TO BREAK IT UP BY, YOU KNOW, FOLKS WHO HAVE NO AFFILIATION, WHICH PROBABLY JUST MEANS THAT THEY GET THE NEWSLETTER OR, YOU KNOW, THE PODCAST OR READ OUR EQUITY BLOGS OR SOMETHING.

UM, SO THERE'S NO AFFILIATION COMPARED TO THESE OTHER CATEGORIES, RIGHT? SO THOSE ARE, WE HAVE THE PARTICIPANTS AND WORK GROUP MEMBERS AND COMMUNITY COUNCIL AND BOARD AND, AND ALL OF THESE ACTUALLY WE GOT A LOW SCORE FROM OUR COMMUNITY COUNCILS.

SO I THINK, UH, YOU KNOW, THAT IS KIND OF INDICATIVE OF SOME OF THE TRANSITION WORK WE'VE BEEN DOING WITH COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF TRYING TO MAP OUT, UM, AND MORE, UM, BE MORE INTENTIONAL RIGHT ABOUT, UH, HOW WE DIRECT THE WORK OF THE COUNCIL SO THAT IT DOESN'T TAKE A LONG TIME TO IDENTIFY THE PRIORITY AREAS.

SO IT DEFINITELY IS SOMETHING INTERESTING THAT I THINK WE'RE ALREADY WORKING ON JUST IN TERMS OF MAPPING OUT, UM, WHAT OUR COMMUNITY COUNCILS ARE DOING.

AND JUST A QUICK, A QUICK UPDATE ON THAT IS WE'RE BASICALLY CREATING A POLICY COMMITTEE AND A COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COMMITTEE, OR, UM, BECAUSE IT'S, IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, RIGHT? I'D USUALLY WE FOCUS ON THE POLICY.

AND THEN WHEN WE FINISHED TALKING ABOUT AN ISSUE OR INVESTIGATING AN ISSUE, A LOT OF TIMES WE NEVER GET TO THE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT OR THE AWARENESS AROUND THE ISSUES.

SO I THINK, UH, IN CREATING THESE TWO COMMITTEES ON THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL, I THINK THAT'S GOING TO HELP WITH, UH, FOLKS WHO WANT TO BE OUT THERE, UH, SHARING INFORMATION AND ENGAGING COMMUNITY AND THOSE WHO WANT TO ACTUALLY BE FOCUSED ON POLICY.

SO I DO THINK THAT'S GOING TO HELP WITH OUR ABILITY TO ENGAGE COMMUNITY COUNCIL, BUT ALSO ATTRACT PEOPLE TO COMMUNITY COUNCIL.

SO AGAIN, WE'RE AT ABOUT 70% AS WELL FOR DEVELOPING RESOURCES AND, UM, AND OUR BOARD IS, YOU KNOW, THE HIGHEST THERE, THANK YOU BOARD FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF OUR WORK AND, UH, AND OUR RESOURCES.

UM, AND THEN WHEN

[00:10:01]

IT COMES TO THE ENGAGEMENT PART, OF COURSE, THAT'S A LOT HARDER TO DO.

AND IT DEPENDS ON, YOU KNOW, WHAT KIND OF ISSUES WE PICK AND WHETHER PEOPLE HAVE A CONNECTION TO THOSE ISSUES, YOU KNOW, SINCE THE CAN BOARD IS SO DIVERSE.

UH, BUT YOU DO SEE AGAIN, THERE WERE PRETTY HIGH EXCEPT FOR, YOU KNOW, COMMUNITY, COMMUNITY COUNCIL AGAIN, AND NO AFFILIATION WITH, TO GET OUR FOLKS WHO GET MORE INFORMATION FROM US, BUT THEY DON'T NECESSARILY PARTICIPATE IN OUR ACTIVITIES.

AND, UH, SO THAT'S ABOUT 60%, WHICH IS ABOUT WHAT IT WAS LAST YEAR, BUT USUALLY WE'RE MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT.

AND, YOU KNOW, 65 TO 70 USUALLY.

AND THEN, UM, THIS IS MORE CREATING OPPORTUNITIES TO PARTNER ACROSS SECTOR.

AND, UM, WE'RE AT ABOUT, YOU KNOW, LITTLE UNDER 60% THERE TOO.

SO PRETTY SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS ONE.

AND, UM, AND I THINK WE'LL, UM, I THINK THIS YEAR, YOU KNOW, WE'RE KIND OF SHIFTING A LITTLE FROM, YOU KNOW, THE, THE, THE SAME LEVEL OF EMPHASIS ON, UM, SINCE WE LAST LAUNCHED THE RACE EQUITY COLLECTIVE, WE'LL BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THAT, BUT NOT, WE WON'T BE LEANED DOWN AS HEAVILY RIGHT.

TO FACILITATE CONVENINGS THERE.

UH, SO THAT'LL FREE UP SOME ATTENTION, SOME TIME AND ATTENTION FOR THE, FOR OUR WORK PLAN, WHICH WE'LL TALK ABOUT IN A BIT, UH, AND THAT SAME THING WITH COMMUNITY SCHOOLS, IT'S SORT OF MORPHING INTO ITS NEXT STAGE OF DEVELOPMENT.

SO AGAIN, THERE MIGHT BE MORE CAPACITY FOR US TO WORK ON SOME OF THE ISSUES THAT WE'VE IDENTIFIED OVER THE, THE MINI RETREATS, UH, OR STRATEGIC DISCUSSIONS WE'VE HAD OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS, COUPLE OF MONTHS.

SO THAT'S IT.

UM, ANY QUESTIONS BEFORE WE, I KIND OF GO ON TO A COUPLE OF QUICK ANNOUNCEMENTS, UM, SO ONE ANNOUNCEMENT, UM, AND AGAIN, WE CAN, WE CAN TURN BACK TO THIS.

OKAY.

SORRY.

I CAN'T SEE, I CAN'T SEE THE PANEL.

THAT'S OKAY.

SORRY.

THIS IS NORA.

UM, REBEL.

I THINK SOME OF MY RESPONSES OR MORE TIED, I THINK YOU'RE DOING INCREDIBLE WORK AND I DON'T THINK THERE WAS ANY WAY THAT I COULD ADD THIS TO IT, BUT I BASICALLY, WE CANNOT HAVE NOT DONE ENOUGH TO INFORM THE COMMUNITY OF ABOUT THE WORK WE'RE DOING.

AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WORK THAT YOU HAVE DONE THE QUALITY AND THE, THE TREMENDOUS BREADTH OF WHAT IS DONE IN THE COMMUNITY.

BUT I THINK IT'S, IT MAY, I, I WANT TO FOCUS ON, OR REALLY MENTIONED THAT IT'S GETTING THE WORK OUT INTO THE COMMUNITY.

THAT IS MY BIGGEST CHALLENGE AND MY BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT, NOT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T MAKE EVERY EFFORT, BUT I THINK THE REST OF US MAYBE HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO SUPPORT THAT AND HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.

SO ONE OF THE THINGS THAT COMMUNITY COUNCIL WILL BE DOING IS, IS CREATING THE COMMUNICATIONS MARKETING COMMITTEE TO CREATE A MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS PLAN.

AND MAYBE WE CAN DO THAT IN, IN PARTNERSHIP WITH THE REST OF THE BOARD HERE, BECAUSE IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WORK THAT YOU'VE DONE, PLEASE, EVERYBODY UNDERSTAND THAT IT'S JUST A MATTER OF BEING ABLE TO ORGANIZE OURSELVES AND TO MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO GET THIS INFORMATION OUT INTO THE COMMUNITY, THAT WE TAKE THAT AS A VERY HIGH PRIORITY.

I JUST WANTED TO COMMENT ON THAT.

SURE.

AND I, AND I THINK THAT THAT'S A, YOU KNOW, OBVIOUSLY A COMMUNITY COUNCIL TAKES IT TO WORK SERIOUSLY.

RIGHT.

SO I THINK THAT'S PART OF WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE IS, YOU KNOW, WE ALL FEEL LIKE WE COULD DO MORE OR SHOULD DO MORE.

RIGHT.

AND SO I THINK SOME OF THAT FACTORS IN, AND THESE ARE NOT EASY ISSUES TO WORK ON, BUT, UM, I THINK WITH, UM, LIKE AS USING SOCIAL MEDIA A LITTLE MORE EFFECTIVELY, THAT'S GOING TO HELP, BUT ALSO AGAIN, JUST HAVING A SET GROUP OF, OF OUR COMMUNITY COUNCIL, THAT'S THINKING ABOUT THE ENGAGEMENT, RIGHT.

AND I THINK THAT'S GOING TO HELP A LOT TOO, BECAUSE WHEN YOU HAVE POLICY DISCUSSIONS IS JUST SO, I MEAN, IT'S SO HARD TO THINK ABOUT ENGAGING AROUND THE POLICY WHEN YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO UNDERSTAND AN ISSUE AND YOU'RE NOT READY TO GO AND TALK ABOUT IT UNTIL YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE.

RIGHT.

SO I THINK THAT'S PART OF THE WORK WE DO IS, IS, IS, UM, THAT LEVEL OF COMFORT OF BEING OUT THERE TALKING ABOUT WHAT ARE VERY COMPLEX ISSUES AND ME AND MY STAFF CAN DO IT RIGHT.

CAUSE WE SORT OF READ EVERYTHING AND, AND TRY TO STAY UP TO DATE.

AND WE GO TO THE COLLABORATIVE MEETINGS, BUT OUR COMMUNITY COUNCIL DOESN'T, YOU KNOW, IT DOESN'T HAVE THAT.

THEY HAVE THE MONTHLY MEETINGS AND MAYBE A COMMITTEE MEETING.

SO AGAIN, THAT'S WHERE I THINK, YOU KNOW, AS, AS WE, UH, CREATE A BETTER STRUCTURE, RIGHT.

FOR US TO DIVVY UP THE WORK, THEN THAT MAKES IT EASIER.

AND, UM, AND PEOPLE CAN, CAN SELF IDENTIFY RIGHT.

WHERE THEY FEEL COMFORTABLE.

RIGHT.

AND WHAT KIND OF WORK THEY FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING.

BUT THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT NORA

[00:15:01]

IT'S, UH, UM, THIS IS THE CHALLENGE RIGHT WITH, WITH KEN IS, IS, UH, IS MOVING TO ACTION, RIGHT? THE, THE ACTION PART.

AND I THINK WE'VE MADE SOME GREAT STRIDES, YOU KNOW, OVER THE LAST FIVE YEARS.

AND, UM, AND AGAIN, NOW WE'RE NOT, NOW WE NEED TO GO MAKE SURE PEOPLE KNOW THAT WE'VE KIND OF SHIFTED RIGHT FROM, UM, YOU KNOW, JUST KIND OF PRESENTING DATA OR SHARING DATA TO ALSO TRY AND ENGAGE MORE EFFECTIVELY AROUND THE DATA.

WELL, TO THAT POINT, TOO, TO WHAT NORA WAS SAYING, UM, I APPRECIATE YOU PRESENTING OVER IN PFLUGERVILLE AND GETTING INFORMATION OUT THERE FOR THAT, BECAUSE TO BE FRANK WITH YOU, NOR IS RIGHT, THE INFORMATION'S THERE IT'S RIGHT.

THE MECHANISM, THE RESULT, WHICH YOU HAVE HERE IS ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL.

AND IT'S JUST PEOPLE BEING COGNIZANT OF AND BEING LIKE, OH DUDE, WAIT A MINUTE.

THEY LOOK AT THIS, THIS IS AN ISSUE I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT FOR A WHILE NOW.

OKAY.

HOW DO I GET INVOLVED? HOW DO THEY FIND FURTHER INFORMATION? WHY DON'T YOU PARTNER WITH ALL THAT STUFF? AND I THINK SO, I REALLY DO THINK IT'S INCUMBENT ON US TO, FOR BURLAP TERM, TO BE YOUR DISCIPLES AND GOING OUT THERE AND CARRYING THE WORK WITH US AND, YOU KNOW, IN WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND, YOU KNOW, PUT US ON OUR SOCIAL MEDIA, TALK TO OTHER FOLKS ABOUT THAT.

BRING OUT THE INFORMATION THAT THERAPIST YOU'RE DOING.

GOOD WORK, GOOD JOB.

WELL, I APPRECIATE THAT.

AND THANKS FOR THE INVITATION TO GO OUT AND PRESENT TO, UH, TO PFLUGERVILLE AND, UM, UM, IT, UH, YOU KNOW, AND, AND LUCKILY AGAIN, WE HAVE PEOPLE THAT HAVE RESPONDED VERY WELL TO THE WEEKEND ATX, UH, SITE THAT HAS WHERE THE COVID RELATED DATA.

CAUSE, UM, I THINK PEOPLE ARE VERY INTERESTED IN ANY, ANYTHING THAT CAN HELP, UM, HELP GET A HANDLE ON WHAT'S HAPPENING AND HOW TO FOCUS OUR EFFORTS.

SO, UM, SO I PRESENTED TO ARROW AND AUSTIN AREA RESEARCH ORGANIZATION AND PFLUGERVILLE THAT ON TUESDAY.

AND, UM, AND AGAIN, THERE WAS A LOT OF INTEREST IN THAT THE WEEKEND ATX PIECE, NOT THAT THE DASHBOARD ISN'T ISN'T IMPORTANT, BUT IT'S MORE OF A BASELINE RIGHT.

ABOUT WHERE WE WERE WHEN, WHEN COVID HIT.

AND SO THOSE ARE SOME OF THE MORE, UM, COVID RELATED KIND OF INFORMATION.

UM, AGAIN, PEOPLE ARE REALLY KIND OF HUNGRY FOR, SO WE NEED TO GET THE INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE THAT AVAILABLE A COUPLE OF QUICK ANNOUNCEMENTS.

UM, WE USUALLY IN JANUARY, SORRY, IT'S PRETTY BIG THERE.

UH, WE USUALLY DO OUR TOGETHER.

WE CAN CELEBRATION, WHICH IS OUR BEGINNING OF YEAR CELEBRATION AND WE DON'T HAVE A BOARD MEETING, BUT WE HAVE THE CELEBRATION.

AND THEN, UM, AND IN MARCH WE USUALLY DON'T HAVE A BOARD MEETING EITHER.

SO WE'RE GOING TO DELAY OUR, OUR TOGETHER.

WE CAN CELEBRATION TILL MARCH.

UH, SINCE THAT AT MONTHLY, TYPICALLY DON'T HAVE A, UH, CELEBRATION OR, UM, A MEETING AND HAVE THEM.

AND REALLY IT'S BECAUSE OF SPRING BREAKS.

I USUALLY WEAR EITHER AT THE FRONT END OR THE TAIL END OF SPRING BREAK.

AND THAT'S WHY WE, WE TEND TO NOT MEET IN MARCH BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, THERE'S A LOT OF CONFLICT WITH THAT.

AND, UM, SO WE'RE GOING TO GO AHEAD AND DO IT MAYBE THE FIRST FRIDAY OF THE MONTH AND THEN, UH, MAKE IT BE A CELEBRATION.

UM, AND SO THAT'LL BE OUR BOARD MEETING FOR MARCH IS, UM, WILL BE OUR CANNED CELEBRATION.

AND THAT'S WHERE WE DO OUR BUTLER AWARDS.

AND WE GOT, WE GOT STARTED A LITTLE LATE ON SOLICITING NOMINATIONS FOR BUTLER AWARDS, WHICH ARE STILL OPEN.

UM, AND MAYBE WE CAN SHARE THAT LINK IN THE CHAT TOO.

UM, SO IF YOU WANT TO NOMINATE FOR THE BUTLER AWARDS, WHICH IS KIND OF COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP AND, YOU KNOW, COMMUNITY COLLABORATIONS IS WHAT WE TRY TO, UH, HIGHLIGHT THEN, UH, THESE, UH, FEEL FREE TO NOMINATE.

AND, UM, SO THAT WOULD LOOK, WE LOOK FORWARD TO THAT IN MARCH.

UM, AND IN JANUARY WE WON'T HAVE A BOARD MEETING.

UM, WHEN WE GET TO TALKING ABOUT THE WORK PLAN, YOU KNOW, THERE'S A LOT OF, UH, A FEW ASSESSMENTS WE'RE TRYING TO DO AND INFORMATION THAT WE WANT TO SHARE, UH, WITH THE BOARD, YOU KNOW, HOPEFULLY, UH, STARTING IN FEBRUARY.

UM, SO WE'LL KIND OF TAKE JANUARY TO LAUNCH, UH, THESE NEW, UM, NEW EFFORTS THAT WE HAVE AROUND, UM, THE NEW WORK PLAN, WHICH WE'RE GOING TO TALK ABOUT.

UM, UM, BUT IT'LL ALLOW US TO REALLY KIND OF HIT THE GROUND RUNNING IN JANUARY PLUS, YOU KNOW, DECEMBER AND JANUARY ARE GOING TO BE PRETTY INTENSE IN TERMS OF SORT OF THE HEALTH AND THE HEALTH RESPONSE AROUND COVID.

SO, UM, SO IT KIND OF HELPS ON A, ON A NUMBER OF FRONTS, RIGHT.

JUST TO KIND OF GET THE YEAR STARTED AND NOT PULL PEOPLE AWAY FROM, YOU KNOW, WHAT PROBABLY IS GOING TO REQUIRE A LOT OF ATTENTION FROM OUR PARTNERS.

AND THEN, UM, AND PROBABLY I'LL STOP THERE.

I THINK, UM, ONE OF THE THINGS WE'RE TRYING TO, UM, TO FINISH, UH, IS OUR RACE EQUITY ASSET MAPPER, WHAT I'M CALLING RACE EQUITY ACTION FRAMEWORK.

UM, AND I WAS HOPING TO PRESENT SOME OF IT TODAY, BUT

[00:20:01]

IT'S NOT, I TOLD THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE IT'S NOT REALLY READY FOR PRIME TIME YET, BUT, UH, I THINK IF WE CAN, UM, TAKE THE REST OF THE DECEMBER AND JANUARY TO REALLY BEEF THAT UP, UM, WE'LL HAVE SOMETHING TO SHARE IN FEBRUARY.

UM, AND AGAIN, IT'S, IT'S INTENDED TO SHOW SORT OF WHERE DOES THE WORK WE OUGHT TO BE DOING AROUND RACE EQUITY, UM, AND WHAT OF THAT WORK IS AND ISN'T HAPPENING, RIGHT.

AND, UM, AND ACTUALLY LISTING OUT THE GROUPS, RIGHT, THAT ARE ACTIVE IN THESE DIFFERENT SPACES.

UM, AND, UH, HOPEFULLY AGAIN, THAT THAT'LL SHINE A LIGHT ON THE KINDS OF ISSUES EITHER WE WANT TO WORK ON OR OTHER COMMUNITY MEMBERS WANT TO WORK ON.

UM, SO WE'LL SHARE THAT OUT PROBABLY IN FEBRUARY.

I THINK WE'LL HAVE IN JANUARY, UM, A COMMUNITY SESSION, RIGHT.

TO GIVE FEEDBACK ON THE, ON THE TOOL.

SO WE'LL DEFINITELY GET THAT INFORMATION OUT TO THE BOARD IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN THAT FEEDBACK SESSION.

WE'VE, UH, WE'VE HAD A COUPLE OF THOSE SESSIONS ALREADY WITH ONE VOICE, UH, SOCIAL EQUITY COMMITTEE AND WITH, UH, THE EQUITY ACTION TEAM AT THE CITY.

SO WE'VE GOTTEN SOME VERY GOOD FEEDBACK ALREADY.

UM, BUT WE WANT TO DO SOMETHING THAT'S BROADER, MORE, YOU KNOW, OPEN IT UP TO THE PUBLIC MORE TO GIVE US FEEDBACK ON THAT TOOL.

AND WE'LL DEFINITELY EXTEND THE INVITATION TO THE BOARD, TO, IN JANUARY TO PARTICIPATE IN THAT, BUT WE WON'T HAVE A FORMAL KIND OF BOARD MEETING UNTIL FEBRUARY.

UM, AND I'LL LEAVE IT AT THAT AND SEE IF THERE'S ANY QUESTIONS BEFORE WE KIND OF MIGRATE MORE TOWARDS, UH, SORT OF THE BUSINESS OF, UH, ADOPTING BUDGETS AND WORK PLANS FOR, FOR 2021.

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS FOR RO ON, ON WHAT'S PRESENTED SO FAR? ALL RIGHT.

[Discussion and Possible Action: CAN 2021 Budget; 2021 Language Access Fund Budget; and CAN 2021 Work Plan ]

SHALL WE MOVE ON TO OUR, UH, BUDGET CONVERSATION? YEAH.

THIS YEAR WE HAVE ACTUALLY, UH, TWO BUDGETS, YOU KNOW, TWO TO PRESENT.

ONE IS FOR OUR, YOU KNOW, UH, ORGANIZATION THAT CAN BUDGET.

AND YOU MAY RECALL WE, THREE MONTHS AGO, THEN WE, UH, THE BOARD APPROVED THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A CENTRAL TEXAS LANGUAGE ACCESS FUND AS A TOOL FOR, UM, ACQUIRING RESOURCES FOR THE LANGUAGE ACCESS WORK.

UM, AND HOPEFULLY BUILDING UPON, YOU KNOW, SOME OF THE PLANNING WORK AND SOME OF THE, UH, SOME OF THE, UH, ENGAGEMENT WORK WE'RE STARTING TO DO WITH LANGUAGE ACCESS.

AND, UM, SO WE WANT TO PRESENT, YOU KNOW, IN THE POLICY WE ADOPTED, IT SAYS WHEN WE PRESENT THE CAN BUDGET, WE'LL ALSO PRESENT A BUDGET FOR THE LANGUAGE ACCESS FUND.

UM, SO THAT, AGAIN, THE BOARD KNOWS IF FUNDS ARE RAISED.

SO THAT'S A BIG GIFT, RIGHT? IF ANY FUNDS ARE RAISED, THESE ARE THE ACTIVITIES, AND THIS IS SORT OF WHERE THE MONEY WOULD GO IN TERMS OF THAT WORK.

AND SO LET ME SHOW YOU FIRST THAT ONE, CAUSE THAT ONE'S A LOT EASIER.

UM, IT'S ONLY FOUR OR FIVE DIFFERENT LINE ITEMS ON THAT ONE.

LET ME GO TO MY PDFS.

YEP.

YEAH.

I HAVE SEVERAL OF MY PDFS OPEN AND THERE'S THE LANGUAGE ACCESS FUND.

SO, SO THIS IS A PROPOSED BUDGET FOR THE LANGUAGE ACCESS FUND.

AND AGAIN, THE, UM, OUR POLICY THAT WE ADOPTED, YOU KNOW, SAID THAT WE WOULD, UM, ADOPT THIS, UH, ALONG WITH OUR CANNED BUDGET.

AND, UM, SO AGAIN, ASSUMING WE RAISE ANY FUNDING, SO THIS IS THE KIND OF WORK WE'LL FUND.

AND IF THERE ARE ANY DEVIATIONS IN TERMS OF EXPENDITURES, THEN WE'LL COME BACK RIGHT.

AND MAKE AMENDMENTS JUST LIKE WE WOULD MAKE AMENDMENTS TO THE CAN BUDGET THE OVERALL CAMP BUDGET.

SO AGAIN, YOU'LL SEE WITH OUR LANGUAGE ACCESS WORK, A LOT OF IT IS GOING TO BE TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETATION.

SO THEY USE THE TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENTS AND MATERIALS SAY AT 20,000.

AND A LOT OF THIS IS AROUND OUR WEBSITE THAT WE'RE GOING TO BE TRANSLATING INTO, UM, SEVERAL DIFFERENT LANGUAGES AND ALSO SOME IN COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MATERIALS WHERE WE'LL BE TRANSLATING THOSE INTO DIFFERENT LANGUAGES AS WELL, UH, WEBSITE MANAGEMENT, OF COURSE, IF WE'RE GONNA CONTINUE TO ADD THOSE LANGUAGE TABS ON OUR WEBSITE, THOUGH, WE CAN ATX, THEN WE'RE GOING TO NEED OUR WEB MASTER TO, TO MANAGE THAT FOR US.

UM, SO THE BULK OF THE BUDGET AND, YOU KNOW, HALF THE BUDGET IS THE STAFF SUPPORT FOR COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS.

AND THIS IS TO, UM, WE HAVE SOME ADVISORY TEAMS, YOU KNOW, THAT WE PROPOSE TO, TO BUILD AND MANAGE AND THE COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT WORK THAT WE WANT TO DO.

UM, SO THAT'S WHERE, AGAIN, THIS IS, UM, IT'S STAFF SUPPORT OR SUPPORT FROM COMMUNITY PARTNERS, RIGHT? SO WE CAN IDENTIFY A PARTNER TO WORK WITH THE CHINESE SPEAKING COMMUNITY, RIGHT.

OR WITH THE ARABIC SPEAKING COMMUNITY.

THEN INSTEAD OF US TRYING TO DO IT THROUGH STAFFING, WE MIGHT DO IT THROUGH SOME KIND OF COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIP BRAND WITH NONPROFITS WHO ALREADY HAVE RELATIONSHIPS.

AND THE, UM, AND THE COMMUNITY ADVISORY TEAMS

[00:25:01]

IS ONE OF THE, ONE OF THE ENGAGEMENT TOOLS.

AND THE IDEA BEHIND THESE TEAMS IS THAT IF WE HAVE CONTENT IN SPANISH IN VIETNAMESE OR IN CHINESE OR AN ARABIC, IS THAT WE HAVE A TEAM OF FIVE PEOPLE OR SO, RIGHT.

THAT, THAT ACTUALLY REVIEW THE CONTENT AND GIVE US FEEDBACK ON THE CONTENT, UM, TO MAKE SURE, AGAIN, IT'S FOLKS WHO ARE NATIVE SPEAKERS, RIGHT, WHO ARE GIVING US FEEDBACK ON OUR MATERIALS.

AND I THINK THOSE ARE THE ONES ESTABLISHED, CAN BE HELPFUL TO OUR OTHER CAMP PARTNERS, RIGHT.

AS RESOURCES.

BUT WE DO WANT TO PAY THEM A STIPEND FOR, FOR THAT, UH, THE KNOWLEDGE, RIGHT.

THAT THEY'LL BE BRINGING TO THE, UM, TO THE WORK.

AND THEN THE LAST LINE IS FOR INTERPRETATION, RIGHT? SO FOR, IF WE'RE ENGAGING, UM, FOLKS WHO SPEAK OTHER LANGUAGES, YOU KNOW, WE'RE GONNA WANT TO PAY THE INTERPRETERS.

AND, AND USUALLY, YOU KNOW, WE'RE TRYING TO, UH, UM, YOU HAVE TO HIRE A TEAM OF INTERPRETERS, RIGHT? YOU DON'T JUST HIRE ONE.

YOU HAVE TO, IF YOU, YOUR MEETING IS MORE THAN AN HOUR LONG, YOU NEED TO HAVE TWO INTERPRETERS.

AND, UM, AND SO THERE YOU GO, THAT'S THE BUDGET OVERALL IS 110,000, UH, FOR THE WORK, IF WE'RE ABLE TO RAISE MONEY.

AND, UM, SO THAT'S THE, THAT'S THE BIG FEAR, RIGHT.

IS, UH, IS, UM, IS THAT WE'RE NOT GOING TO SPEND THAT MONEY OR START DOING THE WORK RIGHT UNTIL WE ACTUALLY RAISE SOME FUNDS, SOME FUNDING FOR THAT PURPOSE.

UM, AND SO, UM, I'LL STOP THERE, RIGHT.

JUST TO SEE IF THERE'S ANY, ANY QUESTIONS, UH, THAT THAT BUDGET SHOULD BE IN THAT SHARED FOLDER AS WELL.

IF YOU WANT TO KIND OF LOOK AT IT MORE GLOBALLY AND NOT HER LINE BY LINE, ANY COMMENTS ON THE LANGUAGE ACCESS FUND PROPOSAL.

ALL RIGHT.

THANKS.

THAT IT'S PRETTY CHILL.

SO, UH, WE, WE WANTED THE MORE COMPLICATED BUDGET AND I'D JUST SAY, SEND IT TO ME.

SURE.

THIS IS SOME OF THE MOST IMPORTANT WORK I THINK THAT WE COULD DO BECAUSE SOME OF THE RESEARCH THAT I'VE BEEN INVOLVED WITH WITH CRT AND THE AUSTIN LATINO COALITION AS WELL, IS THAT THE MATERIALS ARE NOT IN THE LANGUAGE THAT PEOPLE CAN REALLY UNDERSTAND.

SO I REALLY WANT TO GET BEHIND THIS EFFORT AND TO DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO HELP RAISE THE FUNDS SO THAT WE CAN BE MORE RESPONSIVE TO THE NEEDS OF OUR COMMUNITY, NOT ONLY IN A PANDEMIC, BUT AT ANY TIME FOR WHATEVER RESILIENCY IS NEEDED.

AND I KNOW THAT THE CITY OF AUSTIN HAS A RESILIENT RESILIENCY.

THAT'S A TOUGH ONE, UM, OFFICE THAT IS WORKING ON THIS PLAN AND WE ALL WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN IT.

AND IT NEEDS TO BE IN THE LANGUAGE THAT PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND.

I, I, COUNCIL MEMBER, UM, JUST SECOND ONE WHERE I SAID, UM, WE KNOW WITH THE ASIAN AMERICAN OUTREACH ALL YEAR LANGUAGE ACCESS WAS KEY TO SUCCESS.

AND, UM, WHAT I'M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IS WHAT YOU JUST SHOWED US ABOUT LANGUAGE ACCESS, UM, TIED TOGETHER WITH, UH, WITH THE, UH, PERCEPTIONS OF CAN REBEL BECAUSE ON, ON ALL OF THOSE GRAPHS, YOU KNOW, OUR PUBLIC, NO AFFILIATION, FOLKS WERE PRETTY POSITIVE ABOUT CAN.

AND I FEEL LIKE THIS IS EXACTLY THAT FOLKS WITH NO AFFILIATION, UM, WE'LL NEED TO PUSH THEM TO AFFILIATE WITH US.

SO THIS IS REALLY, YOU KNOW, I'M EXCITED ABOUT IT.

SO THANKS FOR DOING, AND THEN JUST KIND OF A, YOU KNOW, AND JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, THE FIRST ATTEMPT TO TRY AND RAISE MONEY IS TO KIND OF REACH OUT TO THE AUSTIN BAR OR THE HISPANIC BAR AND ANOTHER SORT OF LAWYER THAT GROUPS, RIGHT.

WHO, YOU KNOW, CAUSE, UM, SO THE COURT SYSTEM RIGHT IN THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IS ONE WHERE IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE QUALITY LANGUAGE RESOURCES, BUT AGAIN, HOW DO WE CREATE A VEHICLE? SO THAT AGAIN, WE'RE NOT ALWAYS GOING BACK TO OUR SAME PARTNERS, THEY'RE TRYING TO RAISE MONEY.

RIGHT.

BUT TRYING TO CREATE THIS VEHICLE THROUGH WHICH WE CAN GO OUT THROUGH OTHER TWO OTHER ENTITIES, MAYBE THEY'D HAVE MORE ACCESS TO MORE RESOURCES THAT COULD HELP, UH, HELP US BUILD ON THE WORK THAT WE'RE DOING.

UM, AND OF COURSE THROUGH GRANT WRITING, RIGHT, JUST THERE MIGHT BE FUN SORT OF SOURCES OF FUNDING FOR, FOR SERVING, UM, PROVIDING LANGUAGE SERVICES OR FOR SERVING, UH, COMMUNITIES, RIGHT.

THAT SPEAK OTHER LANGUAGES.

SO THOSE ARE THE KINDS OF OPPORTUNITIES WE'LL BE LOOKING FOR.

UM, AND THAT'S WHY, AGAIN, WE TRY TO SEPARATE IT SOMEWHAT FROM SORT OF THE, THE, JUST THE GENERAL OPERATING, UM, FUNDING FOR, UM, FOR, FOR CANON AND IN OUR DAY-TO-DAY OPERATIONS.

SO I'LL GO TO THE MAIN BUDGET AND, UM, THERE'S USUALLY NOT VERY MUCH CHANGE IN, UH, IN, UH, OUR BUDGET, BUT IT DOES HAVE A LOT MORE LINES.

RIGHT.

SO, UH, SO THIS ONE DOES HAVE SORT OF, UM, YOU KNOW, WE STARTED WITH THE, UH, THE REVENUE SIDE AND WE PRETTY MUCH

[00:30:01]

JUST KIND OF CARRY OVER SORT OF A PARTNER CONTRIBUTIONS, RIGHT.

FROM YEAR TO YEAR.

UH, WE HAVEN'T ADJUSTED THOSE AND, BUT AT LEAST THE FIVE YEARS THAT I'VE BEEN HERE, UM, I THINK THE CITY AND THE COUNTY NUMBERS SOMETIMES CHANGE BECAUSE THEY DO COST OF LIVING ADJUSTMENTS.

UM, AND I THINK THE CITY DID THAT MAYBE LAST YEAR.

SO THAT'S WHY THAT'S THE ONLY REAL DIFFERENCE THAT YOU SEE HERE ON THESE, UM, SORT OF REVENUES IS A LITTLE, LITTLE, LITTLE, I THINK $2,000 INCREASE FROM THE CITY ON THAT, ON THAT LINE IS STUFF IT'S ORANGE HERE IS SORT OF THE MONIES THAT WE USE FROM OUR, FROM, FROM OUR RESERVE FOR ONE TIME FUNDS, RIGHT.

FOR ONE TIME EXPENDITURES.

SO, SO WHEN WE USE ANY MONIES FROM THE RESERVE, UM, AGAIN, IT'S NOT FOR ONGOING OPERATING IS USUALLY FOR ONE-TIME EXPENSES AND I'LL MAP THOSE OUT, UM, WHAT THOSE ARE GOING TO, WHAT THOSE ARE GOING TO BE IN THE EXPENSE SIDE.

UH, BUT YOU SEE OUR, YOU KNOW, OUR REVENUE SIDE IS PRETTY, IT'S PRETTY STATIC CAUSE IT'S MORE OF A MEMBERSHIP ORGANIZATION, RIGHT.

AND NOT A TYPICAL NONPROFIT THAT'S KIND OF, UM, HAS A LOT OF FUNDRAISING ACTIVITIES.

UH, WE HAVE A LOT OF IN KIND THAT WE GET FROM, UH, FROM DIFFERENT GROUPS, YOU KNOW, PARTICULARLY AISD THAT DOES OUR OFFICE SPACE AND OUR, SOME OF OUR TECHNOLOGY AND, UH, INTEGRAL CARE.

THAT'S STILL, THAT DOES, UH, ALL OUR BACK OFFICE STUFF, WHICH IS PROBABLY VERY SEVERELY UNDER UNDERVALUED THERE ON THAT LINE.

UM, AND ON THE EXPENSE SIDE.

UM, SO YOU SEE HERE, YOU KNOW, AND I DON'T THINK YOU CAN SEE THE BOTTOM LINE THERE YET.

OKAY.

THERE WE GO.

SO YOU SEE THE PERSONNEL EXPENSE, RIGHT? IT'S GONNA, IT GOES UP A LITTLE BIT, JUST CAUSE AGAIN, THE COST OF LIVING PIECE.

UM, BUT YOU'LL NOTICE AT THE VERY BOTTOM HERE, IT KIND OF TALKS ABOUT SALARIES AND BENEFITS.

UM, THE PERCENTAGE OF OUR BUDGET AT SALARIES AND BENEFITS.

SO OBVIOUSLY WE DON'T HAVE A LOT OF WIGGLE ROOM IN OUR BUDGET.

THERE'S NOT A LOT OF, A LOT OF FAT IN THERE.

UH, CAUSE 90, 90% OF OUR BUDGET IS PERSONNEL.

UM, AND, UM, AND SO YOU SEE WHERE THE REST OF THE MONEY GOES, WHICH IS, UM, AGAIN JUST GENERAL OPERATING ADMINISTRATIVE COMPUTERS, PRINTING, UM, TRAINING, RIGHT.

FOR OUR STAFF.

UM, BUT YOU SEE THE TWO YELLOW OR THE ONE-TIME EXPENDITURES, RIGHT? SO WE'LL, UH, WE'RE UH, HOPEFULLY ALSO IN FEBRUARY AND BRINGING BACK SORT OF THE TUNA DOCUMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION, YOU KNOW, FOR THE, FOR THE BOARD TO ESTABLISH CAN AS AN UNINCORPORATED NONPROFIT ASSOCIATION.

SO WE'LL SEND OUT SOME INFORMATION AHEAD TIME ABOUT THAT, BUT WE HAVE AN ALONE, WE HAVE AN ATTORNEY WHO'S HELPING US RIGHT WITH THAT, DEVELOPING THOSE DOCUMENTS TO FORM THAT ASSOCIATION.

UH, AND AGAIN, SOME OF YOU MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW THAT WE'RE CURRENTLY UNDER THE SORT OF FISCAL UMBRELLA, LENA WHO CARE FOR, UH, MORE THAN 25 YEARS NOW.

SO THANK YOU, DAVID.

AND THANK YOU INTEGRAL CARE FOR CARRYING AND US FOR THAT LONG, BUT, UH, WE'RE TRYING TO CREATE, UH, AN AVENUE, RIGHT.

FOR US TO HAVE A, TO BE AN INDEPENDENT ENTITY.

RIGHT.

AND, UM, AND TO BE ABLE TO BE, TO HAVE SOME FLEXIBILITY IN TERMS OF SORT OF HOW WE OPERATE AND ADDRESS SOME, UH, SOME LIABILITY ISSUES, YOU KNOW, UM, FOR KEN AND FOR ETHICAL CARE IN THE PROCESS AS WELL.

SO THE FIVE THOUSANDS IS LEGAL FEES OR LEGAL, UH, UM, YEAH, LEGAL FEES CONSULTING.

AND THEN AT THE 3000 AND YOUR COMPUTER IS, UH, WE'RE LOOKING TO BUY A COUPLE OF PRINTERS, RIGHT.

FOR OUR STAFF.

UM, THAT'LL HELP US SAVE A LITTLE MONEY ON THE COPIER EXPENSE.

SO, UH, SO JUST, THAT'S MORE INTENDED TO, YOU KNOW, HOPEFULLY BE A ONE-TIME EXPENSE THAT HOPEFULLY SAVES US SOME MONEY ON OPERATIONS AND I'LL GO DOWN TO THE BOTTOM CAUSE YOU'LL SEE THAT, UM, AGAIN, TOTAL EXPENSES, YOU KNOW, NOT A BIG SHIFT FROM ONE YEAR TO THE NEXT.

UM, BUT WE KIND OF GO DOWN HERE TO THE FUND BALANCE JUST TO SHOW YOU WHERE WE'RE AT WITH THE FUND BALANCE.

UM, SO OUR FUND BALANCE, AS OF, UM, THIS IS AT THE END OF LAST YEAR WAS A ONE 55, NINE 36.

AND IF WE TAKE 8,000 FROM THAT, RIGHT AS WAS THE VERY TOP LINE THAT I SHOWED FOR ONE TIME EXPENDITURES THAT GOES DOWN BY $8,000 TO ONE 47, NINE 36, UM, OUR POLICY FOR FUND BALANCE AS SAID, WE KEEP IT BETWEEN 90 DAYS AND 120 DAYS WORTH OF FUND BALANCE.

AND SO WE'RE CLEARLY, UM, WITHIN THAT RANGE OR WE HAVE MORE MONEY RIGHT THAN THE, THE 120 DAYS OF OPERATION.

UH, AND THIS YEAR WITH THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, UH, SUGGESTING IS THAT, IS THAT WE TAKE THE, ANYTHING ABOVE THE 120 DAY OF OPERATION AND PUTTING INTO A SPECIAL PROJECT FUND, RIGHT? SO THAT, YOU KNOW, WE MEET OUR OBVIOUSLY, UH, UH, REQUIREMENTS FOR THE FUND BALANCE.

[00:35:01]

AND THEN THE REST WILL BE PUT IN A SPECIAL PROJECT FUND AGAIN FOR ONE-TIME EXPENSES, YOU KNOW, WHATEVER IT COMES UP, UM, THAT WE MIGHT WANT TO DRAW FROM.

BUT AT LEAST THIS WAY, WE KNOW, YOU KNOW, THAT THERE IS SOME FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THAT, YOU KNOW, IF SOMETHING UNFORESEEN OR SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT COMES UP WHERE WE WANT TO INVEST SOME MONEY.

SO THAT'S WHAT THIS BOTTOM LINE IS SPECIAL PROJECT FUND THAT DIDN'T EXIST LAST YEAR.

SO THAT PROBABLY IS THE BIGGEST CHANGE IN THE WHOLE BUDGET IS JUST TRYING TO DIVIDE UP THE FUND BALANCE SO THAT WE KNOW WHAT DO WE NEED FOR, UM, JUST AS THE RAINY DAY FUND, RIGHT.

JUST BE PREPARED FOR UNFORESEEN CHANGES IN REVENUE.

AND ALSO THAT WE MIGHT HAVE SOME FUNDS FOR SPECIAL PROJECTS, SHOULD THE SHIFT, THE NEED ARISE FOR THAT.

SO, AND THAT'S, THAT'S, UH, THAT DOCUMENT SHOULD BE IN YOUR SHARED DRIVE AS WELL.

SO, YEAH.

UM, SO THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I'VE SEEN, UM, I CAN BUDGET, UH, IT LOOKS OKAY.

IT LOOKS GOOD, ANSWERED VERY LEAN MAN.

AND THE BUDGET LOOKS GREAT, YOU KNOW, UH, BUT I HAVE A COMMENT REGARDING THE LANGUAGE ACCESS LINE BUDGET, JUST AN OPPORTUNITY.

I THINK, UM, YOU KNOW, IT'S REALLY HARD FOR ORGANIZATIONS THAT DON'T PROVIDE A DIRECT SERVICE TO RAISE MONEY, RIGHT.

AND THAT'S NOT SOMETHING CAN HAS HAD TO DO BEFORE IS RAISING MONEY.

BUT I THINK, UH, WITH THE LANGUAGE ACCESS LINE THAT THE WRITING OF GRANTS IS POSSIBLE FOR THAT.

AND I'D BE HAPPY TO VOLUNTEER, TO REVIEW GRANTS BEFORE THEY'RE SUBMITTED, YOU KNOW, JUST AS ANOTHER SET OF EYES.

AND THAT POTENTIALLY, UH, LIKE IN THOSE GRANTS, IF YOU BUILD IN LIKE A 10% OR SOMETHING, UH, FOR ADMINISTRATION OF THE LANGUAGE ACCESS PROGRAM, INTO YOUR GRANT WRITING, THEN THAT COULD COME BACK TO YOUR GENERAL OPERATING BUDGET AS A WAY TO POTENTIALLY GROW THE BUDGET, BUT I MAY BE WRONG COMPLETELY.

AND, YOU KNOW, MY UNDERSTANDING OF HOW THINGS OPERATE WITH CANCER, PLEASE, EXCUSE ME.

BUT I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT WAYS TO GENERATE REVENUE, TO HELP THE BUDGET FAIR.

AND I THINK THAT'S THE IDEA IS IF, YOU KNOW, THE LANGUAGE ACCESS CAN BE ITS OWN LITTLE SELF-SUSTAINING SORT OF PROJECT AND THAT FREEZER SORT OF CAN STAFF CAPACITY, RIGHT.

TO DO OTHER, TO TACKLE OTHER ISSUES.

AND, UM, BUT OUR HOPE FOR LANGUAGE ACCESS IS THAT, YOU KNOW, THAT THAT EFFORT IS A RESOURCE FOR ALL OUR CAN PARTNERS AND OTHER NONPROFITS, RIGHT.

TO BE ABLE TO PROVIDE MORE EFFECTIVE SERVICES AROUND LANGUAGE ACCESS.

SO WE DO HOPE THAT AGAIN, OUR PARTNERS AND OTHER NONPROFITS, AGAIN, WHO, WHO MAY NOT HAVE A LOT OF RESOURCES CAN ALSO, UM, DRAW FROM THE RESOURCES.

AND AGAIN, THERE MAY BE A WAY TO, UM, TO HELP, UM, TO RAISE SOME MONEY RIGHT.

YOU KNOW, IN, IN HELPING OUT OTHER OTHER NONPROFITS AND, UH, IN DIFFERENT WAYS.

BUT, UM, OBVIOUSLY THIS IS THE FIRST YEAR WE'LL BE TRYING TO DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS.

SO WE'LL BE, YOU KNOW, WE'LL BE UPDATING PERIODICALLY.

UM, AND WE'LL, UM, UH, BUT VERY EXCITED THOUGH, YOU KNOW, OUR, OUR ACTION TEAMS, VERY EXCITED TO, TO ACTUALLY HAVE THIS DONE BECAUSE IT WAS IN OUR RECOMMENDATIONS FROM A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK.

RIGHT.

SO, UH, SO IT'S ALWAYS GOOD WHEN, WHEN, WHEN YOU FOLLOW UP RIGHT.

ON SOME OF THESE PLANS THAT YOU HELP DEVELOP AND ADOPT.

SO, UM, YEAH.

THANKS.

ALL RIGHT.

I'M NOT, I'M NOT SEEING ANY OTHER COMMENTS ON THE BUDGET.

I DO WANT TO KEEP US MOVING ALONG BECAUSE THERE'S STILL THE WORK PLAN.

UM, PROCEDURALLY, DO WE APPROVE THE WORK PLAN? ARE WE JUST APPROVING THE BUDGET TODAY? WE USUALLY APPROVE BOTH.

YES, SIR.

ALL RIGHT.

SO YOU WANT TO REVIEW THE WORK PLAN? OH, RIGHT.

YEAH.

LET'S SEE.

I'M TRYING TO CLOSE SOME DOCUMENTS AS WE GO.

UM, LET'S SEE.

HERE WE GO.

SO THE WORK PLAN AGAIN, IT'S, UM, YOU KNOW, JUST REALLY FOLLOWS OUR STRATEGIC PLAN.

AND SO WE, UM, WE IDENTIFY, UM, WHAT DO WE WANT TO DO IN EACH OF THE GOAL AREAS? RIGHT.

SO THE GOAL ONE IS ENHANCE AWARENESS OF COMMUNITY NEEDS AND CHALLENGES, RIGHT.

REQUIRING COLLABORATIVE ACTION AND, UM, ENGAGING AROUND, UH, CREATING OPPORTUNITIES TO ENGAGE.

SO ON THIS ONE, UM, UM, YOU KNOW, WE'RE GOING TO DO AGAIN, COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AROUND LANGUAGE ACCESS.

I'VE KIND OF TALKED ABOUT THAT A LITTLE BIT.

UM, AND YOU'LL SEE THAT, UH, AGAIN, WHAT KIND OF BUILD OUT THE WEBSITE IN DIFFERENT LANGUAGES, WE'RE WORKING ON A RACE EQUITY ASSET MAP AND BASED EQUITY ACTION FRAMEWORK THAT WE'LL SHARE WITH PARTNERS.

AND

[00:40:01]

AGAIN, USE AS A WAY OF RAISING, UH, COMMUNITY AWARENESS ABOUT, UH, RACE EQUITY AND ALL OF ITS MANY DIFFERENT FACETS AND, UM, AND THINGS THAT ARE AFFECTED BY RACIAL EQUITY.

UH, WE'RE GOING TO CONTINUE OUR PODCASTS, YOU KNOW, AND CAN USE, UM, AS A WAY OF CROSS-PROMOTING OUR PARTNERS.

UM, AND WE'RE GOING TO, UH, ONE OF THE THINGS WE TALKED ABOUT UNDER 1.3 IS CREATING GRAPHICS AND INFORMATION TOOLS THAT OUR PARTNERS CAN USE TO PROMOTE CANON RESOURCES.

AND UNDER THAT, WE TALKED ABOUT, UM, AB DIDN'T DO A LITTLE VIDEO SNIPPETS OF OUR INDICATOR INFORMATION, RIGHT.

AND HIGHLIGHTING CAN PARTNERS WHO CAN TALK ABOUT A PARTICULAR INDICATOR ON THE DASHBOARD.

UM, AND YOU KNOW, AND AGAIN, THREE TO FIVE MINUTE LITTLE VIDEOS AND, AND SEND THOSE OUT SOMETHING WE CAN SEND OUT, UM, ON SOCIAL MEDIA, RIGHT? SO THAT YOU'RE NOT ASKING PEOPLE TO WATCH AN HOUR LONG DISCUSSION, RIGHT.

BUT TRYING TO HIGHLIGHT A PARTICULAR ISSUE AND BRING IN OUR CANNED PARTNERS IN THE PROCESS UNDER 1.4 IS IT'S KIND OF WORKING WITH OUR COMMUNITY COUNCIL TO DO A STATE OF THE SAFETY NET FORUM.

UH, THEY'RE TRYING TO IDENTIFY ONE OF THE ISSUES THAT KIND OF JUMPS OUT AT THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL FOR, UM, FROM THE DASHBOARD AND THEN KIND OF DIGGING INTO THAT ISSUE A LITTLE MORE AND STARTING WITH A STATE OF THE SAFETY NET FORUM ABOUT THAT PARTICULAR, UH, ISSUE.

SO THAT'S A KIND OF, KIND OF RAISING AWARENESS AND, UM, AND, AND CREATING OPPORTUNITIES TO ENGAGE.

UM, AND THIS IS, I GUESS, AGAIN, KIND OF BUILDING ON THAT IS, UH, CREATING OPPORTUNITIES, UM, UM, OR STILL MORE ON THE INFORMATION SIDE, RIGHT.

IS, UM, CREATING PROFILES OF COLLABORATION.

UM, THERE'S A LOT OF VERY INTERESTING COLLABORATIVE WORK AROUND THE, UM, ACADEMIC RESPONSE.

SO WE WANT TO HIGHLIGHT MAYBE TWO OR THREE OF THE COLLABORATIVE EFFORTS THAT HAVE HAD AN IMPACT, YOU KNOW, JUST TO HIGHLIGHT THE WORK.

AND I THINK SOME OF OUR CARE PARTNERS WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED IN THAT.

UM, AND WE WANT TO, AGAIN, JUST LOOK AT AS MUCH OF THE DATA AS WE CAN TO SEE WHAT IT TELLS US ABOUT AREAS OF NEED IN THE COMMUNITY.

SO DOING IT AS SORT OF A COMMUNITY ASSESSMENT OF AREAS THAT HAVE GREAT NEED IN TERMS OF HEALTH OR IN TERMS OF OTHER BASIC NEEDS.

AND I'M LOOKING TO EXPAND THE DATA WE ARE COLLECTING AROUND THE COVID RESPONSE, MAYBE BRINGING IN SOME OF THE MENTAL HEALTH, UM, OR, OR INFORMATION FROM SAFE FOR THE FOOD BANK, RIGHT, AS A WAY OF KIND OF LOOKING AT TRENDS, YOU KNOW, IN TERMS OF THE CALLS TO THOSE ENTITIES FOR ASSISTANCE.

AND, UM, SO AGAIN, A LOT OF, A LOT ON DATA, YOU KNOW, WE DO A LOT OF, UH, WORK ON DATA, UM, IN TERMS OF THE ISSUES AGAIN, AND THIS IS PROBABLY THE, THE GUTS OF WHAT WE'VE TALKED ABOUT.

THE LAST COUPLE OF MEETINGS.

AGAIN, MENTAL HEALTH KIND OF COMES UP A LOT AS SOMETHING THAT, UH, YOU KNOW, IT WAS VERY IMPORTANT, BUT MAYBE DOESN'T GET AS MUCH ATTENTION AS IT SHOULD.

SO, UH, LOOKING AT, UM, WE'RE CONTINUING OUR WORK WITH ONE VOICE AND INTEGRAL CARE IN MICHIGAN CAPITAL AROUND SUPPORTING NONPROFITS, UM, AND MENTAL, MENTAL HEALTH NEEDS THEY MAY HAVE.

UM, AND THERE ARE OTHER OBVIOUSLY MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES THAT COME UP IN ALMOST EVERY DISCUSSION WE HAVE.

SO THERE MAY BE OTHER THINGS THAT COME UP AROUND MENTAL HEALTH.

AND OF COURSE THE HOUSING EVICTIONS PIECE, IF YOU KNOW, IS, IS TALKED ABOUT A LOT AS WELL.

AND WE'RE HOPING OF COURSE, THAT, THAT, UM, MORATORIUM GETS EXTENDED AND I'VE, I'VE SEEN SOME, SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THE CITY KIND OF ADVOCATING FOR THAT.

SO THAT'S DEFINITELY, UH, SOMETHING THAT, UM, IS VERY, UH, CONCERN, GREAT CONCERN TO, TO MANY, MANY FOLKS.

UM, AND THEN IN TERMS OF, UM, SORT OF, UM, TO THE PRIORITY ISSUES, YOU KNOW, WE DID DECIDE TO CONTINUE WITH THE REGIONAL PLAN THIS YEAR.

UM, THAT USUALLY HAPPENS IN OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, YOU KNOW, UH, FOR 2021.

UM, AND WE'VE TALKED ABOUT, UM, YOU KNOW, JUST CREATING A COMMITTEE, RIGHT, TO LOOK AT WHAT ISSUES MIGHT BE THE FOCUS OF THE REGIONAL SUMMIT.

UM, AND SO WE'LL CREATE THAT PLANNING TEAM PROBABLY, YOU KNOW, PRETTY EARLY ON IN 2021.

AND, UM, AND HOPE THAT OBVIOUSLY BY OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, MAYBE WE'RE BACK TO CONVENING IN, UM, AND THEN A COUPLE MORE THINGS AS LANGUAGE CONTINUE, THE LANGUAGE ACCESS, WHERE, YOU KNOW, HOPEFULLY KIND OF WITH IDENTIFICATION OF RESOURCES, UH, TO SUPPORT THAT WORK.

AND, UM, AND IN TERMS OF THE ASSESSMENT WORK THAT WE'LL BE DOING.

AND, UM, 2.1 AND 2.2 OF THE ACTION PLAN IS, UM, AS WE GET THAT INFORMATION IS BRINGING THAT BACK TO, TO THE BOARD, RIGHT? TO SHARE THAT INFORMATION, TO SEE IF THAT, UM,

[00:45:01]

IDENTIFIES WHERE WE MIGHT PUT OUR ATTENTION, BECAUSE, UM, AGAIN, AS, AS WE'VE GOTTEN, WE'RE KIND OF SHIFTING A LITTLE FROM THE RACE FROM AS MUCH AS WE PUT INTO THE RACE EQUITY WORK AND THE COMMUNITY SCHOOLS WORK AND FOCUSING ON SOME OF THESE THAT ARE MORE SPECIFIC TO THE PANDEMIC RESPONSE WITH THIS, UH, UM, AND A LOT OF THAT BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR DECISIONS, YOU WANT TO LOOK AT THE DATA AND, AND, AND DO AN ASSESSMENT, UH, BEFORE YOU JUST KIND OF COMMIT, SORT OF WENT A HUNDRED PERCENT, THAT WHAT ISSUE YOU'RE GOING TO LOOK AT.

SO, UM, BUT SO WE'LL BRING THAT INTO THAT INFORMATION BACK AT THE FEBRUARY MEETING, UM, AND, AND BRING, BRING AS AN UPDATE ON WHAT WE'RE DOING AROUND MENTAL HEALTH AND HOUSING.

SO THE LAST PART IS THE ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE AND MEMBERSHIP AND ENGAGEMENT.

UH, I'LL STOP.

BEFORE I GO INTO THAT, I'LL JUST STOP FOR QUESTIONS AROUND, UH, EITHER THE RESOURCES WE'RE DEVELOPING OR THE POLICIES AND PRIORITY ISSUES.

YOU KNOW, THERE WAS A LOT OF INTEREST IN OBVIOUSLY FOCUSING ON BASIC NEEDS, RIGHT.

JUST BECAUSE OF THE CURRENT ECONOMIC CRISIS.

SO, UM, YOU SEE THAT REFLECTED HERE PRETTY SIGNIFICANTLY, ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS SO FAR IN THE WORK PLAN, RIGHT? ROLL, KEEP GOING.

AND, UM, SO THIS IS, UM, AGAIN, MORE ON THE ORGANIZATIONAL SIDE, RIGHT? WE'LL, YOU KNOW, WE'RE A NETWORK AND PART OF OUR WORK IS TO BE AS EFFECTIVE AS WE CAN ENGAGING AS A NETWORK.

SO, UM, IN TERMS OF EFFECTIVELY ENGAGING ON KEN BOARD, YOU KNOW, WE STARTED DOING ONE-ON-ONE ORIENTATION SESSIONS WITH NEW MEMBERS AND WE'LL CONTINUE THAT BECAUSE IT SEEMED TO WORK VERY WELL.

UM, AND WE'RE GOING TO CREATE A WORK PLAN, UPDATE TEMPLATES, SO THAT, THAT GETS UPDATED IN REAL TIME AND YOU'LL BE ABLE TO ACCESS IN REAL TIME.

UM, AND HOPEFULLY IF YOU SEE SOMETHING INTERESTING, YOU KNOW, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO PLUG IN MORE EASILY BY CONTACTING WHOEVER'S HEADING UP A PARTICULAR WORK PLAN PROJECT, UH, UNDER FISCAL SPONSORSHIP, YOU KNOW, WITH CLINICAL CARE IS A, AS I MENTIONED BEFORE, WE'RE GONNA KIND OF MOVE FORWARD WITH, UH, FORMALIZING, UM, THE RELATIONSHIP WITH INTEGRAL CARE AND IDENTIFYING, UM, WE'RE PUTTING IN PLACE, YOU KNOW, WHATEVER MEASURES WE NEED, UM, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES, RIGHT.

TO BE ABLE TO OPERATE INDEPENDENTLY.

UM, AND LET'S SEE.

YEAH, TYPICALLY WE HAVE A RETREAT IN NOVEMBER.

AGAIN, A LOT OF THIS JUST DEPENDS ON WHERE WE ARE AT THAT TIME AND WHETHER IT CAN BE VIRTUAL OR IN PERSON.

AND I THINK, UM, THE REST WE'VE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT IN TERMS OF, YOU KNOW, UPDATING, UM, MORE EFFECTIVELY TO THE BOARD ON THE WORK PLAN, THROUGH AN UPDATE TEMPLATE, AND THEN JUST CREATING THE CENTRAL TEXAS LANGUAGE ACCESS FUND.

UM, SO IT'S A LOT OF THE STUFF WE'VE TALKED ABOUT IS JUST TRYING TO PUT IT IN A, IN A FORMAT.

SO YOU SEE WHERE IN OUR STRATEGIC PLAN DOES THIS, ALL THESE, UM, ALL THESE EFFORTS, UH, HELP TO SUPPORT OR HELP TO ADVANCE ANY QUESTIONS.

OKAY.

YOUR PRODUCTS BETTER.

IF YOU JUST LOOK AT IT, IF YOU OPEN A DOCUMENT AND YOU TRY TO LOOK AT IT INSTEAD OF GOING LINE BY LINE, WELL, UH, I WILL ENTERTAIN A MOTION TO ADOPT AND APPROVE THE 2021 BUDGET, THE 2021 LANGUAGE ACCESS FUND BUDGET PROPOSED BUDGET AND THE 2021 WORK PLAN, NO MOVED SECOND, JERRY SHERRY MOVES, UH, SHERRY FLEMING MOVES, WHICH SIEGEL SECONDS, ANY FURTHER DISCUSSION THEN WITHOUT OBJECTION, THOSE ARE ADOPTED GOOD WORK.

UH, YOU KNOW, I'VE, I'VE ONLY BEEN ON THIS BOARD A FEW YEARS DESPITE BEING CHAIR.

AND I THINK THAT'S THE LEAST AMOUNT OF DISCUSSION WE'VE EVER HAD COMING INTO THE BOARD ON THE BUDGET AND THE WORK PLAN.

SO KUDOS TO ROLE ON THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE FOR WORKING OUT ALL THE DETAILS IN ADVANCE, GREAT WORK.

UM,

[Discussion: Legislative Priorities and/or Concerns of CAN Member Organizations ]

WE HAVE ROLE, YOU HAVE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S EVALUATION ON THIS AGENDA.

DO I NEED TO PRESENT SOMETHING ON THAT? I MEAN, I'D USUALLY, IT'S JUST AN ANNOUNCEMENT IF WE'RE READY TO ANNOUNCE SORT OF WHERE WE ARE WITH THAT, BUT IF SURE.

SO THE, THE, THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AND THE TRI CHAIRS, UH, CONVENED, WE WILL, OF COURSE BE GIVING OUR WORLD TOP MARKS ALL ACROSS THE BOARD, TENS, TENS, TENS ACROSS THE BOARD, AS THEY SAY.

UM, AND, UH, I'M DRAFTING THE FINAL, THE LANGUAGE ON THAT TO SEND OVER TO INTEGRAL CARE FOR THE PROCEDURAL REQUIREMENTS, BUT, UH, KUDOS RULE FOR ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK AND THE STAFF REALLY, UH, FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK IN, IN UNPREDICTABLE AND UNPRECEDENTED TIMES, KEEPING THE BALL MOVING FORWARD AND REALLY GETTING MORE DONE THAN I THINK IS EVEN RATIONALLY

[00:50:01]

EXPECTED, UH, GIVEN ALL THE CHALLENGES THIS YEAR.

AND, YOU KNOW, THE FACT THAT WE, I THINK, AS A BOARD WITH, WITH THE WORK YOU DID, AND THE STAFF MOVE SEAMLESSLY INTO VIRTUAL MEETINGS AS WELL, SO GLAD THAT, UH, THIS WAS ALL ABLE TO KEEP MOVING FORWARD.

SO YOU'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO LOOK FORWARD TO THAT ROLE, A GLOWING EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS EVALUATION.

ONCE I, ONCE I FINISH WRITING IT, I MAY NOT GET TO IT UNTIL AFTER TUESDAY FOR ALL THE OBVIOUS REASONS, BUT WE WILL GET IT DONE WELL.

AND THANKS TO OUR, THANKS TO OUR STAFF, YOU KNOW, UM, IT HAS BEEN, UH, A LOT OF UNEXPECTED WORK.

SO THANKS TO CARLOS AND JALINA FOR THE FLEXIBILITY THEY, THEY SHOWED RIGHT THIS YEAR AND JUST EVERYTHING WE'VE BEEN ABLE TO GET DOWN.

SO THANKS VERY MUCH.

GREAT.

UM, ONE THING JALINA, I WOULD SCROLL UP IN THE CHAT AND I SEE THE, THE SURVEY MONKEY FOR THE BUTLER AWARD NOMINATIONS.

BUT WHEN I PULL UP THE FORM, THE DEADLINE STILL SAYS JANUARY, 2020, IS, IS THERE A NEAT WAY? THAT'S STILL PROBABLY FORGOT TO CHANGE THE DATE.

GREAT.

I WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT WE FIX THAT BEFORE WE START SENDING IT AROUND TOO MUCH.

UM, WE HAVE

[Preview of Legislative Session and Presentation of Legislative Priorities ]

OUR STATE REPS COMING AT TWO 20.

AND SO FOR THE NEXT 25 MINUTES, WE CAN TALK ABOUT LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES FROM OUR PARTNERS.

UM, YOU KNOW, I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN HEARING THE PRIORITIES FROM NOT THE CITY AND THE COUNTY, BECAUSE OUR LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES, FRANKLY, ARE VERY COMPREHENSIVE AND IT'S BASICALLY SOLVED EVERYTHING.

AND, YOU KNOW, I DON'T HATE THAT WE HAVE ASPIRATIONAL PRIORITIES FOR THE LEGISLATURE, BUT I AM VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT ARE OUR OTHER ORGANIZATIONS FEEL LIKE THEIR TOP PRIORITY IS HEADING INTO THE LEDGE.

UM, BUT I DON'T, I DON'T THINK WE NEED TO GO PERSON BY PERSON, UH, BECAUSE I DON'T THINK EVERY GROUP IS GOING TO HAVE A LIST OF THINGS TO GO THROUGH, BUT I'M, I WILL OPEN THE FLOOR FOR FOLKS THAT WOULD LIKE TO TALK ABOUT YOUR ORGANIZATION'S PRIORITIES FOR THE NEXT LEGISLATURE.

AND I GUESS A COUNCIL MEMBER, I'LL JUST NOTE THAT, UM, AISD DID CHAIR SORT OF THEIR WRITTEN LEGISLATIVE, AND SO DID THE GREATER AUSTIN CHAMBER.

SO THOSE SHOULD BE IN THAT SHARED DRIVE.

YEAH.

OH, GOOD.

THERE'S A SUB FOLDER IN THE SHARED DRIVE.

I SEE.

YEAH.

WELL, WAS THIS POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO PULL UP THE, UM, THE SHEET THAT WE SENT OVER? I DON'T WANT TO TALK AT ALL, BUT I JUST WANTED TO HIT SOME OF THE HIGHLIGHTS.

IS THAT POSSIBLE? YEAH.

I THINK THERE'S LIKE A SUMMARY PAGE, RIGHT? IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.

YEAH.

LET'S SEE.

I THINK I HAVE, YEAH.

AND WHILE WE'RE PULLING THAT UP, UM, COUNCIL MEMBER, I AM JUST, SINCE, SINCE COMMISSIONER IS NOT HERE, I HAVE TO BE SHOCKED AND DISMAYED AT YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT NOT WANTING TO HEAR ABOUT THE COUNTY'S PRIORITY, BUT I DO HAVE THE, UH, COUNTIES, INTERGOVERNMENTAL RELATIONS COORDINATOR ON THE CALL, AND THIS IS JAMIE WHEELER, STUCCO GUYS DON'T MAKE ME LOOK BAD.

WE WILL DIG INTO, UH, EVERYTHING THAT THE COUNTY WANTS TO SAY.

UM, WE'RE, WE'RE RUNNING A LITTLE BIT, UH, UH, BEHIND IN OUR AGENDA.

SO I WANTED TO MAKE SURE WE HAD OUR OTHER ORGANIZATIONS HAD A CHANCE.

I COMPLETELY AGREE.

AND I CAN, I CAN ATTEST TO THE FACT THAT SHE IS AN EXPERT AT BEING BRIEF.

SO I'M EQUALLY HAPPY TO NOT SPEAK IF THAT WILL KEEP US ON TRACK TIMELINES.

EXCELLENT.

DR.

HOLLY, DID YOU WANT TO MAKE EVEN A BRIEF COMMENT ON AISD? YES.

SUPER BRIEF, BECAUSE, UH, AND THE BUTTS DID SUCH A GOOD JOB WITH THIS.

I JUST WANTED TO BRING YOUR ATTENTION TO IT.

SO YOU CAN SEE SOME OF THE THINGS THAT WE'RE WORKING ON.

AND A LOT OF IT HAS TO DO WITH ACCOUNTABILITY AND ASSESSMENT.

AND, UM, REALLY, ESPECIALLY DURING THIS PANDEMIC, MAKING SURE THAT OUR SCHOOLS DON'T GET OVERPOLICED FOR ACCOUNTABILITY.

AND I THINK IF YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE NEWS, YOU CAN SEE THAT A TA DID SAY THAT THEY'RE NOT GOING TO DO THE, THE A THROUGH F UM, UH, REPORTING PIECE THIS YEAR.

AND WE'RE ALSO IN A ROLE, IF YOU CAN SLIDE DOWN JUST A LITTLE BIT LOOKING AT CHARTER SCHOOLS AND, YOU KNOW, SOME OF THE, UM, ADVANTAGES CHARTER SCHOOLS ARE GETTING THESE DAYS.

UM, SO PART OF OUR PRIORITIES HAVE TO DO WITH MAKING SURE THE CHARTER SCHOOLS ARE HAVING TO BE TRANSPARENT WITH, UM, THE STUDENTS THAT THEY ACCEPT, BECAUSE AS YOU ALL MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW, THEY CAN DETERMINE IF THEY WANT TO, UM, ATTEND TO THE NEEDS OF CERTAIN KINDS OF STUDENTS, STUDENTS THAT ACCESS SPECIAL EDUCATION AND THOSE KINDS OF THINGS, AND CERTAINLY EDUCATION FUNDING, AND YOU SLIDE DOWN ROLE, UM, YOU KNOW, MAKING SURE WE HAVE THE PIECES WE

[00:55:01]

NEED TO SUPPORT OUR STUDENTS WITH DYSLEXIA, AND THEN MAKING SURE THAT WE'RE GETTING THOSE PAYMENTS FROM HB THREE AS WELL.

UM, AND THEN, UH, OF COURSE WHAT EVERYBODY WANTS AND EVERY SCHOOL DISTRICT, LOCAL CONTROL AND FLEXIBILITY.

SO IF YOU SCAN THROUGH THIS, YOU'LL SEE OUR BIG, OUR BIG BUCKET PIECES AND THEN THE DETAILS UNDERNEATH, AND THEN TRANSPORTATION TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT, YOU KNOW, OUR BUSES ARE EXEMPT FROM TOLLS, THAT WE HAVE SOME, SOMETIMES PEOPLE LOOK AT, UM, WHAT WE'RE FOCUSED ON, BUT THESE ARE THINGS THAT AMOUNT TO, UH, YOU KNOW, MILLIONS OF DOLLARS FOR OUR DISTRICT.

AND OUR HOPE IS TO BE ABLE TO CONNECT AND COLLABORATE WITH OTHERS.

AND OTHERS COLLABORATE WITH US AS WELL AS, AS WE PUSH THESE ITEMS FORWARD.

BUT I DO WANT TO JUST GIVE A BIG SHOUT OUT TO EDNA, BUT TO, UM, OUR STAFF WAS VERY MUCH INVOLVED WITH THIS AND WE'VE GOT A LOT OF INPUT.

UM, BUT EDNA WAS THE ONE THAT MADE IT SUCCINCT IN, UM, MADE IT POSSIBLE FOR THIS TO BE A VERY BRIEF PRESENTATION.

SO I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A CHANCE TO READ IT.

AND IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, YOU CAN CONTACT ME OR, UH, EDNA OVER THE DISTRICTS.

SO THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY WHERE I WILL.

THANKS DR.

TO HOLLY.

I WOULD ADD ONE THING TO THAT THAT I'VE BEEN TALKING TO SOME STATE REPS ABOUT AS IT RELATES TO SCHOOL BUSES, UH, YOU KNOW, REPRESENTATIVE ISRAEL HAS HAD A BILL FOR A NUMBER OF SESSIONS THAT WOULD ALLOW PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO USE THE SHOULDERS AND STATE HIGHWAYS.

AND I HAVE ENCOURAGED HER AND REPRESENTATIVE USI WHO REPRESENTS THE WILLIAMSON COUNTY PORTION OF MY COUNCIL DISTRICT TO ALLOW SCHOOL BUSES TO ALSO USE THOSE SHOULDERS.

AND FOR CONTEXT, WE'RE NOT REALLY TALKING ABOUT , WE'RE REALLY TALKING ABOUT LIKE SIX 20, AND WE HAVE A PARTICULAR SITUATION THAT HAPPENS IN MY CORNER OF THE, OF THE WORLD WHERE THE TRAFFIC IS SO BACKED UP ON SIX 20 THAT PEOPLE DON'T PUT THEIR KIDS ON THE BUS BECAUSE THEY MIGHT AS WELL JUST BE IN THEIR CARS.

BUT IF THE BUSES WERE PASSING THE CARS, MORE FAMILIES MIGHT LET THEIR KIDS TAKE THE BUS HOME.

AND SO THERE'S HUGE WIDE SHOULDERS IN THESE KIND OF SUBURBAN TO RURAL STATE ROADS.

SO I KNOW REPRESENTED UC IS INTERESTED IN THAT.

AND, UM, YOU KNOW, WE'LL, WE'LL SEE WHERE THOSE BILLS GO ON THE LEDGE, BUT THAT'S SOMETHING I'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT FOR AWHILE.

ANYONE ELSE WANT TO TALK, DAVID, THANK YOU.

UM, IN TERMS OF MENTAL HEALTH, I JUST WANT TO MENTION, UH, THREE THINGS VERY QUICKLY.

UM, FIRST OF ALL, UH, WE'RE REALLY WORKING AS A STATEWIDE ASSOCIATION, UH, TO DO NO HARM IN TERMS OF ANY REDUCTIONS IN FUNDING.

CURRENTLY, THE STATE AGENCIES ARE IN A, A DIRECTIVE FOR A 5% REDUCTION IN SPENDING AND MENTAL HEALTH AND DISABILITY PROGRAMS HAVE BEEN EXCLUDED, UH, TO DATE.

WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT CARRIED FORWARD BY SECOND OF ALL, MEDICAID, MEDICAID, AND MEDICAID.

SO WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE A ONE YEAR EXTENSION OF THESE, UH, DISRIP