Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[00:00:07]

THAT GUYS READY? YES MA'AM.

OKAY.

THANKS.

ALL RIGHT.

WELL, WE'RE GOING TO GO AHEAD AND CONVENE, UH, TODAY'S UM, MEETING.

THIS IS, UH, TUESDAY, UH, JULY 27TH.

THIS IS THE WORK SESSION OF THE, UH, OF THE CITY COUNCIL.

UM, WE POTENTIALLY HAVE A LOT TO GET THROUGH TODAY.

A LOT OF IT IS IN THE EXECUTIVE SESSION TODAY.

IT LOOKS LIKE THE THING THAT MAKES THE MOST SENSE TO DO IS TO BEGIN WITH THE BUDGET DISCUSSION.

THE PURPOSE OF THAT IS PRIMARILY TO LET COUNCIL MEMBERS DAYLIGHT ISSUES THAT THEY'RE THINKING ABOUT SO THAT, UH, THE REST OF US AND STAFF GET, UH, UH, NOTICE IF IT'S POSSIBLE ON WHAT MIGHT BE COMING FORWARD.

WE HAVE A LONG WORK SESSION COMING UP NEXT WEEK.

THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE THAT THIS IS MORE A DAYLIGHT, UH, MOMENT.

SO THAT'S GOING TO START WITH A PRESENTATION.

MAYBE WE CAN GET THROUGH THIS IN 30 TO 45 MINUTES.

I DON'T KNOW.

UH, BUT THEN WE WOULD THEN LEAVE HERE AND GO TO EXECUTIVE SESSION, UH, AND WE'LL, WE'LL, WE'LL START TO THE EXECUTIVE SESSION.

SEE HOW MUCH OF THAT WE CAN KNOCK OUT.

UH, SOME OF THE COLLEAGUES WANTED TO BE PART OF THAT EXECUTIVE SESSION.

WE'RE NOT GOING TO BE HERE THIS AFTERNOON, SO THEY WANTED US TO BE ABLE TO HAVE THAT, UH, UH, EARLIER.

UM, WE HAVE, UH, ONLY ONE ITEM THAT'S BEEN, UH, POLLED.

UH, SO WE WOULD THEN, UH, UH, AFTER, UH, EXECUTIVE SESSION, IT'S GOING TO BE A HARD STOP AT NOON, UM, TO GO FROM, FROM NOON TO, UH, FOR LUNCH.

IF WE COME BACK AND HAVE SOME TIME WE CAN DO THAT.

WE HAVE THE, UH, UM, AUSTIN ENERGY, UH, BD TODAY THAT'S BEEN SET FOR ONE 30.

THEY'RE GOING TO BE A ONE 30 WE'LL MOVE INTO THAT SHOULD BE A SHORT MEETING TODAY.

I THINK A CHAIR LIKE 45 MINUTES ISH, SO WE CAN, OR LESS.

SO WE'LL BE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THAT.

WE HAVE THE, UH, UH, OTHER, UH, UH, DISCUSSION ITEMS THAT ARE COMING BACK, UH, THAT ARE, THAT ARE AVAILABLE FOR US.

SOME OF THOSE THINGS WERE PUT ON THE AGENDA, KIND OF AN ADJUSTED CASE OF SCENARIO.

UH, I THINK THE HOMELESSNESS, UH, ISSUE, UH, REAL SHORT PRESENTATION FROM STAFF OPPORTUNITY TO ASK THE QUESTIONS, UH, ON COVID WE'RE OBVIOUSLY NOT JOINING THE COUNTY THIS MORNING.

WE ALL SHOULD BE GETTING IN OUR BOXES HERE THIS MORNING, THE HANDOUT THAT THEY GIVE TO US FOR THAT.

SO EVERYONE CAN SEE THAT THEY ARE AVAILABLE THIS AFTERNOON.

IF WE WERE TO CALL THEM, WE CAN MAKE THAT DECISION AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE AFTERNOON.

UH, BUT THEY'RE AVAILABLE HERE.

IF WE WERE TO BRING THAT BACK FOR US, WE ALSO HAVE, UH, THE MEADOWS PERSON HERE ADD, WELL, LET ME INTERRUPT YOU.

I WANT TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THAT WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH YOUR, I WAS JUST GOING TO SAY, THAT'S THE OTHER BRIEFING.

AND MY UNDERSTANDING IS WE HAVE THE CONSULTANT AVAILABLE TO BE ABLE TO TALK TO US.

SO THERE'LL BE A REPORT ON, ON, ON THAT.

WE HAVE A HARD STOP AT FIVE 15 BECAUSE THE BD NEEDS TO BE TURNED OVER TO THE, UH, EVENING PLANNING COMMISSION.

YES, COUNCILMEMBER KITCHEN.

UH, I, I WAS EXPECTING THAT WE WOULD DO THE AUSTIN CARES THIS MORNING BECAUSE IT'S REALLY PART OF THE BUDGET.

AND IT'S SET UP AS A VERY, VERY BRIEF IF I'M UNDERSTANDING A BRIEF, UM, PRESENTATION.

AND THEN THE OPPORTUNITY FOR QUESTION AND ANSWER, I'M CONCERNED ABOUT SEPARATING IT FROM THE BUDGET AND HAVING THAT PROSTITUTE CARES, WHICH IS THE MEADOWS.

UM, I'M CONCERNED ABOUT HAVING THAT PUSH TO THE END OF THE DAY.

I THINK IT'S SEPARATED TOO MUCH FROM THE BUDGET IF WE DO THAT, RIGHT.

I NOTED INDICATED THAT THE CONSULTANT WAS AVAILABLE IN THE AFTERNOON AND NOT THIS MORNING ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE AFTERNOON, NOT AVAILABLE THIS MORNING.

OKAY.

BUT CAN WE DO IT LIKE I'M CONCERNED? ARE WE GOING TO LOSE PEOPLE IF WE WAIT UNTIL THE END OF THE DAY IS, IS, UM, IT IT'S ANY MANAGER.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME CITY MANAGER? I DON'T OFFHAND, BUT I DO REMEMBER THAT SHE WASN'T AVAILABLE.

OKAY.

OKAY.

I DIDN'T, I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT.

UM, SO WE'LL BRING THAT UP.

UH, AND THIS AFTERNOON ALSO ON EXECUTIVE SESSION, UH, WE CANNOT DO EXECUTIVE SESSION IN THIS ROOM.

UH, SO WE WOULD GO BACK TO THE EXECUTIVE SESSION.

IT'S A SMALLER SPACE.

UH, I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S THE COUNCIL'S DESIRE TO GO BACK INTO THAT SMALLER SPACE.

CERTAINLY IF YOU WERE TO PARTICIPATE IN THAT REMOTELY, YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT.

OKAY.

YES.

COUNCILOR MEMBER TOVO.

THANKS,

[00:05:01]

MARY.

I'M SORRY.

I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS.

I JUST WANT TO GO OVER THE CALENDAR AGAIN.

SO WE ARE GOING TO BEGIN WITH THE BUDGET.

THEN WE ARE GOING TO EXECUTIVE SESSION TO TALK ABOUT OPEN GOVERNMENT, REAL ESTATE, THE COUPLE OF CASES, POTENTIAL ELECTION, AND THEN THE PERSONNEL MATTER OR DOING ALL OF THAT IN ONE BLOCK ATTACH LEAVE.

WHEN WE GET BACK THERE AND COUNCIL WANTS TO DO SOMETHING ELSE, WE CAN ALWAYS COME BACK OUT.

BUT YES, IT WOULD BE THE INTENT TO TRY AND GET THROUGH THE EXECUTIVE SESSION.

AND THEN OUR, AND THEN WE HAVE A FEW BRIEFINGS.

IF WE HAVE TIME AFTER THAT, WE'LL COME BACK HERE.

IF WE HAVE TIME BEFORE NOON, WE'LL COME BACK HERE AND DO THE, UH, COVID.

RIGHT.

OKAY.

AND THE PULL DOWN, AND THEN WE ARE BREAKING FROM WHAT TIME? TO WHAT TIME FROM LIKE NEW DOOR.

OKAY.

AND THEN AT ONE FROM ONE-ON, WE'LL JUST WRAP UP.

WHATEVER'S 30.

WE HAVE THE ENERGY MEETING.

RIGHT.

BUT OTHER THAN THAT, WE'LL BE JUST PUSHING THROUGH IT.

WE HAVE A FIVE, 15 HARD STOP.

OKAY.

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE REALLY? WHO IS, WHO ARE WE LOSING WHEN I'M SORRY? WHO ARE WE LOSING? WHEN YOU SAID SOME COLLEAGUES ARE NOT GOING TO BE HERE THIS AFTERNOON, CARROTS OVER HALTER AND MAYOR.

I HAVE TO STEP OUT AT THREE 30.

I CAN COME BACK, BUT I CAN STEP OUT AT THREE 30.

YEAH.

DID I'M GOING TO HAVE TO LEAVE AND RUN TO AUSTIN HIGH QUICKLY AT AROUND 3 45, BUT I CAN COME BACK TO, OKAY, WELL, LET'S WORK AS QUICKLY AS WE CAN.

YEAH.

SHE COMES OVER ALTER AND THEN THAT SORT OF KELLY, UM, WHEN WE TAKE UP THE ONE POLLED ITEM, OR AT SOME POINT, I JUST, THERE ARE A COUPLE ITEMS THAT I'M ASKING SOME QUESTIONS.

I'M TRYING TO GET MY ANSWERS SEPARATELY, BUT I WANTED TO JUST SURFACE THAT I'M DOING THAT SO THAT IT'S NOT A SURPRISE ON THOSE ITEMS IF I PULLED THEM ON THURSDAY.

UM, I THINK THEY'RE MOSTLY TECHNICAL THINGS THAT I'M TRYING TO GET CLEAR, BUT IF, IF I DON'T UNDERSTAND, OR DON'T LIKE THE ANSWERS, WHEN I GO THROUGH THAT, I MAY WANT, WHERE DID WE DO PULLED ITEMS? PEOPLE CAN DAYLIGHT OTHER ISSUES ON OTHER ITEMS AS WE DO.

WE JUST WON'T HAVE STAFF HERE FOR THOSE.

I JUST THINK IT'D BE USEFUL FOR US TO HAVE, IT WILL BE TIME AND OPPORTUNITY TO DO THAT.

I ALSO WANT TO MAKE A PART OF MATH OR ONE OF MY IC, UH, UH, IFCS AS WELL.

UH, BECAUSE R KELLY, THANK YOU, COUNCIL MEMBER ALTAR FOR BRINGING THAT UP.

THAT WAS MY QUESTION AS WELL, WHEN WE WOULD DISCUSS PULLED ITEMS. THANK YOU.

YES, SORRY.

I STILL HAD A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS THAT, UM, THAT I WANTED TO ASK.

SO WITH REGARD TO THE, UH, EXECUTIVE SESSION, WE'RE GOING TO GO IN THAT ROOM AND THE REMOTE OPTION IS WHAT PROTECTS OUR MEMBERS IF THEY WANT, BUT WE CAN'T SEE THE ROOM.

IS IT, IS IT THE SAME SYSTEM THAT WE HAD THE OTHER DAY WHERE, WHERE OUR COLLEAGUES OFF THE DICE WERE NOT ABLE TO SEE THE OTHERS IN THE ROOM.

WE COULD SEE THEM WITH THE OTHERS IN THE ROOM, OR YOU WILL SEE OTHERS IN THE ROOM.

IT'LL BE LIKE THE EARLIER, LIKE OUR PREVIOUS VIRTUAL.

OKAY.

UM, AND WHEN WE TALK ABOUT ITEMS, UM, I ALSO HAVE SOME ITEMS TO DISCUSS THAT I DID NOT NECESSARILY PULL.

AND I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO TALK ABOUT KIND OF OUR GAME PLAN FOR THURSDAY AT THAT OUR GAME PLAN FOR THURSDAY, KIND OF OUR SCHEDULE FOR THURSDAY AT THAT TIME AS WELL.

SOUNDS GOOD.

ALL RIGHT, MANAGER, I'LL TURN IT OVER TO YOU TO LAY OUT BUDGET.

AND

[D1. Discussion about the fiscal year 2021-2022 proposed budget and tax rate]

THEN WE'LL THEY LIKE BUDGET THOUGHTS THAT PEOPLE HAVE.

THANK YOU, MAYOR AND COUNCIL.

AND THIS IS A OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO CONTINUE TO HEAR FROM COUNCIL AS WE PREPARE FOR NEXT THURSDAY'S WORK SESSION.

AND I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO OUR INTERIM BUDGET, OFFICER CARRIE LANG, WHO WILL DO A BRIEF INTRO.

AND THEN THE MAYOR'S QUESTION, REALLY, HOPEFULLY GETTING TO EACH COUNCIL MEMBER, UH, TO HIGHLIGHT A TOPIC OR TWO THAT YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE DISCUSSED AT THAT WORK SESSION.

MS. LANG, GOOD MORNING, MAYOR AND COUNCIL.

AND THANK YOU AGAIN.

UM, CARRIE LANG INTERIM BUDGET OFFICER, AND AS THE CITY MANAGER MENTIONED TODAY, WE WOULD JUST BEGIN DISCUSSIONS.

SO ON THE PROPOSED BUDGET TO DAYLIGHT FOR THE AUGUST 3RD WORK SESSION, UM, WE'VE INCLUDED IN BACKUP FOR YOUR REMINDER AND INFORMATION, THE TAXPAYER IMPACT STATEMENT, THE PROPOSED BUDGET SNAPSHOT AND THE FOSTERING RESILIENT CITY WORKSHEET.

UM, DURING THE SESSION TODAY, WE WILL END THROUGHOUT THE WEEK.

UM, WE WILL BE DISCUSSING WITH YOU ALL, UM, TO INFORM OUR AGENDA FOR NEXT WEEK.

AND JUST AS A REMINDER, WE DO HAVE THE, UM, PUBLIC INPUT SESSIONS, THE COMMUNITY INPUT SESSIONS ON THURSDAY, UH, THE FOUR DAY WORK SESSION ON THE THIRD, I WILL BE SENDING OUT FURTHER COMMUNICATION BY THE END OF THIS WEEK ABOUT THE AGENDA FOR NEXT WEEK AND TO, UM, JUST CONFIRM ALL THE AREAS THAT WE WILL BE DISCUSSING NEXT WEEK AND THE PROCESS FOR BUDGET READING AND APPROVAL WITH THAT, I TURN IT BACK OVER TO YOU ALL FOR, FOR US TO BEGIN DISCUSSION.

OKAY.

SO COLLEGE, WE HAVE A BUDGET HAS BEEN GIVEN TO US.

WE'RE GOING TO BE HAVING A LONG SESSION

[00:10:01]

NEXT WEEK.

I THINK STAFF'S LOOKING FOR, UH, INDICATIONS FROM COUNCIL.

IF YOU ALL WERE TO GIVE THEM AS TO, UH, THINGS THAT YOU'RE GOING TO WANT TO TAKE A LONGER LOOK AT.

YES, THAT'S WHAT WE'RE ALL DOING.

UM, SO I HAVE THREE AREAS THAT I'D LIKE US TO BE DISCUSSING IN MORE DETAIL ON TUESDAYS WORK SESSION.

UM, I'VE TALKED A FEW TIMES ABOUT THE FIRE EMS OPTIMIZATION EFFICIENCY STUDY.

I THINK IT'S CALLED THE DISPATCH EQUITY STUDY.

UM, THIS IS A STUDY I HAVE HEADED FOR FUNDING IN RECENT BUDGET YEARS, AND I'M HOPING THAT THERE ARE USEFUL LESSONS AND SAVINGS OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDED IN ITS RECOMMENDATIONS.

UM, IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE STUDY IS IN ITS FINAL STAGES AND HAS SOME INTERESTING ELEMENTS THAT WOULD BE VERY USEFUL FOR US FOR SOME OF THE BUDGET CONVERSATIONS THAT WE'RE HAVING.

SO I WOULD LIKE AN UPDATE ON THAT AND BOTH WHEN WE'RE GOING TO SEE IT.

AND IF THERE ARE SOME HIGH LEVEL RECOMMENDATIONS FROM IT THAT MIGHT BE RELEVANT, I THINK THEY'RE PARTICULARLY RELEVANT BECAUSE I THINK A NUMBER OF US ARE INTERESTED IN SEEING FURTHER INVESTMENTS IN EMS. UM, AND I'M HOPING THAT THAT STUDY WILL HELP US, UM, MOVE FORWARD WITH SOME OF THOSE.

UM, SECOND I'D LIKE TO, UM, HAVE A DEEPER DISCUSSION OF VICTIM SERVICES.

UM, AS FOLKS KNOW I'VE BEEN ADVOCATING FOR MORE MONEY AND MORE SERVICES FOR VICTIM SERVICES AND LED ON THE COMPREHENSIVE SEXUAL ASSAULT EVALUATION PROCESS.

I'M PROUD OF THE WORK THAT WE'VE DONE AS A COUNCIL TO INCREASE STAFF AND EXPAND SERVICE CAPABILITIES.

UM, AND YOU KNOW, WE KNOW THAT OUR VICTIM SERVICES DIVISION IS ONE, IF NOT THE BEST OF ITS KIND IN THE COUNTRY.

AND IT IS THAT WAY IN PART OF THE VERY HIGH LEVEL OF CLINICAL SERVICES THAT WE'RE ABLE TO DELIVER.

UM, IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT WE BEEN ABLE TO DO THAT BY RELYING ON BOCA GRANTS TO FUND SEVERAL FTES IN YEARS PAST, BUT THIS MAY NOT BE THE CASE ANYMORE.

UM, THERE WAS SOME ADDITIONAL MONEY, BUT I THINK IT'S ACTUALLY REPLACING GRANT MONEY, UM, NOT ACTUALLY ADDING MORE SERVICES.

SO I'D LIKE TO HAVE A BRIEFING ON THE POSSIBLE CHANGES IN FUNDING THIS FISCAL YEAR AND HOW WE'RE ABSORBING THOSE COSTS FROM THE LACK OR THE EXPECTED LACK OF THOSE VOCA FUNDS.

UM, AS WELL AS INFORMATION ON STAFFING LEVELS, RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION CASE LOADS SERVICES PROVIDED, AND THE STATUS OF SOME OF THE REFORMS TO VICTIM SERVICES THAT CAME FROM THE RE-IMAGINING PROCESS, SUCH AS THE REPORTING STRUCTURE.

AND I WOULD LIKE FOR THE VICTIM SERVICES MANAGER, KATRINA CLARK, TO BE PART OF THAT BRIEFING.

AND IF IT'S HELPFUL, MY STAFF CAN GIVE YOU THAT LIST IN WRITING IF YOU LIKE.

UM, AND THEN FINALLY, UM, I THINK IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT THAT WE HAVE A CONVERSATION ABOUT THE NINE 11 DISPATCH STAFFING AND RETENTION.

UM, SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE SEEN THE KSN STORY OVER THE WEEKEND RELATED TO OUR NINE ONE ONE CALL CENTER.

UM, THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT WAS BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION A WHILE AGO, AND WE HAVE BEEN WORKING, UM, HAVING CONVERSATIONS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THE SITUATION IS, UM, WITH RESPECT TO THE EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT, HAVING CONVERSATIONS WITH FOLKS IN THE DEPARTMENT AND WITH, UM, RAY, ARIANA, ET CETERA, AND SPENCER CRONK ABOUT IT.

AND, UM, I THINK THESE ARE A REALLY CRITICAL PIECE TO OUR EMERGENCY RESPONSE SYSTEM, AND I'M VERY CONCERNED ABOUT, UM, RETENTION AND RECRUITMENT AND VACANCY RATE ISSUES.

UM, AND I THINK WE NEED TO HAVE A BRIEFING ON THAT TO SEE IF WE NEED TO MAKE SOME INVESTMENTS IN THAT DEPARTMENT TO ADDRESS CONCERNS, UM, THERE, WITH RESPECT TO THE VACANCY RATES.

UM, SO THOSE ARE THINGS THAT I'D LIKE TO TALK ABOUT WHERE I THINK WE NEED MORE INFORMATION AS A DIOCESE.

UM, I WASN'T SURE IF WE WANTED TO DAYLIGHT THINGS THAT WE THOUGHT WE MIGHT BE BRINGING AMENDMENTS ARE INTERESTED IN FUNDING MORE NOW.

UM, OR IF I SHOULD WAIT ON THAT, WHEN IS THAT APPROPRIATE TIME? CAUSE IT'S, I DON'T KNOW THAT WE NEED TO HAVE, YOU KNOW, STAFF PREPARING DOCUMENTS FOR THOSE THINGS.

I THINK, I THINK AT THIS POINT WE'RE JUST TRYING TO DAYLIGHT ISSUES.

SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO RAISE SOMETHING NOW, BUT IF YOU KNOW, SOME OF THEM'S NOW YOU CAN JUST THROW ABOUT THAT'D BE HELPFUL.

SURE.

I'M STILL, UM, YOU KNOW, WORKING ON A LOT OF DETAILS.

SO I'LL GIVE SOME BROAD OUTLINES AND I WOULD INVITE COLLEAGUES WHO ARE INTERESTED IN HELPING A CO-SPONSOR OR ANY OF THESE AMENDMENTS AS I PUT THEM FORWARD, UM, TO REACH OUT TO ME AT A LATER DATE.

UM, SO WITH RESPECT TO PUBLIC SAFETY, UM, I AM INTERESTED IN ADDITIONAL INVESTMENTS WITH, TO WILDFIRE, SPECIFICALLY SUPPLEMENTS FOR THE TRAINING THAT WAS PLANNED.

UM, I AM INTERESTED IN PHASE TWO OF THE OFFICE OF THE CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER

[00:15:01]

AND ADDING THE ADDITIONAL PARAMEDIC PRACTITIONERS, UM, AND MAKING FURTHER INVESTMENTS IN EMS. UM, I BELIEVE IDENTIFIED SOME PUNCH POTENTIAL FUNDING SOURCES FOR THESE, UM, BUT I'M STILL WORKING OUT, UM, THOSE OPTIONS, UH, ADDITIONAL PRIORITIES AS I WOULD BE OBVIOUS FROM THE QUESTIONS I RAISED EARLIER WOULD BE VICTIM SERVICES, UM, AND THE NINE ONE ONE CALL CENTER BEING STAFFED AND WELL RESOURCED.

AND THEN FINALLY THE OFFICE OF VIOLENCE PREVENTION, UM, AND YOU KNOW, ON THE OFFICE OF VIOLENCE PREVENTION, JUST WHILE I'M TALKING ABOUT IT, JUST WANT TO REALLY COMMUNICATE HOW IMPRESSED I'VE BEEN, UM, WITH MICHELLE MILES AS OUR PROGRAM MANAGER AND HOW, HOW, UH, DILIGENTLY AGENTS STIRRUP AND LAURA TO LOAF ONE DAY, WE'RE IN HELPING TO STAND UP THAT OFFICE AND WANT TO GET SOME MORE DETAILS ON THE SPECIFIC ALLOCATIONS TO SEE IF WE NEED MORE FUNDING, UM, AND, AND, YOU KNOW, DIFFERENT THINGS WITH THAT.

I'M REALLY BEEN IMPRESSED WITH WHAT SOME OTHER CITIES, INCLUDING SAN ANTONIO HAVE BEEN DOING TO PROPERLY RESOURCE THEIR VIOLENCE PREVENTION WORK, UM, WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE'RE SETTING UP THE OVP FOR SUCCESS.

I'M STILL LOOKING INTO THAT, UM, AREA TO SEE, AND THEN FINALLY, FOR HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT, I'M FOCUSED ON CLIMATE RESILIENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY, OUR PARKS AND REC DEPARTMENT, AND SOME SMALL ASKS FROM OUR SENIOR COMMISSION.

OKAY, THANK YOU.

UH, GOT OVER KELLY, THANK YOU.

UM, SOME THINGS THAT ARE OF TOP OF MIND TO ME AND FOCUS FROM THIS BUDGET IS, UM, DEFINITELY THE NINE ONE ONE CALL CENTER.

THANK YOU, COUNCIL MEMBER ALTAR FOR BRINGING THAT UP.

I WANT TO ENCOURAGE AND DIG DEEPER INTO THAT AS WELL.

IT'S ONE OF MY PRIORITIES.

I'D BE HAPPY TO CO-SPONSOR THAT WITH YOU AND TALK FURTHER ABOUT IT.

BUT I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ENCOURAGE MY COLLEAGUES TO GO TO THE DISPATCH CENTER AT SCITECH AND SIT EVEN IF JUST FOR AN HOUR WITH THESE TELECOMMUNICATORS.

I DID THAT RECENTLY, AND IT WAS REALLY EYE-OPENING AS TO THE STRESS THAT THEY'RE UNDER ON A REGULAR BASIS.

I WOULD LIKE TO LOOK INTO POSSIBLY ALIGNING THE BUDGET WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF HB 1900, JUST TO ENSURE THAT THE POLICE BUDGET IS SET FORTH CORRECTLY.

ACKNOWLEDGING THE APD HAS SEEN TREMENDOUS ATTRITION.

I ENCOURAGE MY COLLEAGUES TO CONSIDER ADDING A MODIFIED POLICE ACADEMY.

IN ADDITION TO THE TWO REGULARLY PROPOSED ACADEMIES, UM, WE NEED A ROBUSTLY STAFFED AND WELL-EQUIPPED POLICE DEPARTMENT TO ACT AS A RESOURCE FOR OUR COMMUNITY.

AND WE NEED THEM TO RESPOND IN A TIMELY MANNER CURRENTLY BECAUSE OF THE STAFFING LEVELS.

WE HAVE INCREASED RESPONSE TIMES AND THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE BECAUSE WE ARE IN A STAFFING CRISIS.

ONE WAY TO GET OFFICERS ON THE STREET QUICKER IS TO DO THAT MODIFIED ACADEMY.

ANOTHER, UM, THING THAT I'D LIKE TO FOCUS ON, WE KNOW AUSTIN GOES OUT OF ITS WAY TO BE AN ANIMAL FRIENDLY CITY.

IT'S A GREAT TESTAMENT TO THE COMPASSION WE HAVE FOR ALL LIVING CREATURES.

I ALSO RECENTLY VISITED THE AUSTIN ANIMAL CENTER TO LEARN ABOUT A POSITION THAT EMBODIES, UM, JUST THAT IT'S A GRANT FUNDED ANIMAL SERVICES OFFICER ROLE.

ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO, THE AUSTIN ANIMAL CENTER BEGAN TO REACH OUT TO PEOPLE EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS THROUGH THE AUSTIN EATS INITIATIVE, USING THAT ANIMAL SERVICES OFFICER ROLE, THAT OFFICERS WORK DILIGENTLY TO ESTABLISH RELATIONSHIPS WITH OUR UNHOUSED NEIGHBORS, TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE SUCCESSFUL IN ALLOWING THEM TO KEEP AND CARE FOR THEIR ANIMALS AND TO PROVIDE TEMPORARY SUPPORT DURING PERIODS WHEN THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE.

THIS FTE OR FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE HAS KEPT APPROXIMATELY 170 DOGS OUT OF THE SHELTER SINCE JANUARY OF 2021 AT A COST OF $35,000.

FOR EVERY PET THAT THEY TAKE IN THIS POSITION IS AN EFFICIENT, COMPASSIONATE USE OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS.

IT ALLOWS PEOPLE FACING AN ALREADY DIFFICULT SITUATION TO STAY WITH THE ANIMALS WHO PROVIDE COMPASSION, COMFORT, AND STABILITY TO THEM, FOR ANYONE WHO OWNS A DOG, THEY KNOW THERE'S NOTHING MORE COMFORTING THAN THE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE THAT THEY PROVIDE.

AND I FEEL THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ROLE THAT NEEDS TO CONTINUE TO BE FUNDED TO HELP OUR UNHOUSED NEIGHBORS.

THANK YOU, KITCHEN.

UM, OKAY.

UM, I'M GOING TO DO, UH, UH, MENTIONED A COMBINATION OF THINGS THAT, UM, HAVE ASKED FOR MORE INFORMATION ON AND THEN INDICATE WHERE I THINK, UM, I MIGHT, MIGHT WANT TO BE, UH, TAKING SOME, SOME ACTIONS.

SO FIRST ONE IS AUSTIN CARES AS YOU KNOW, UM, COUNCIL MEMBER COSARA.

AND I HAD BEEN WORKING ON THAT FOR TWO YEARS NOW, I BELIEVE.

AND DURING THE LAST BUDGET CYCLE, WE, UM, PASSED AN AMENDMENT TO, UM, TO ADD ADDITIONAL FUNDING, AS WELL AS TO, UH, PUT A PROCESS IN PLACE TO FULLY IMPLEMENT THE RECOMMENDATIONS FROM THE MEADOWS CENTER.

YOU ALL MAY REMEMBER THAT, THAT THIS IS THE MENTAL HEALTH DIVERSION PROJECT.

UH, AND OUR GOAL IS, IS OVER TIME THAT A HUNDRED PERCENT OF CALLS TO OUR NINE 11 CALL CENTER THAT ARE, UH,

[00:20:01]

THAT ARE, UH, NOT AN IMMEDIATE RISK CAN BE DIVERTED, UH, TO A MENTAL HEALTH CLINICIAN.

SO WE'LL HEAR MORE.

UM, THERE IS A MEMO THAT YOU ALL HAVE RECEIVED ABOUT, UH, THE PROGRESS TO DATE AND THE ADDITIONAL ACTIONS THAT STILL NEED TO BE TAKEN TO FULLY IMPLEMENT THIS PROJECT.

SO I AM GOING TO WANT TO HAVE SOME CONVERSATIONS ABOUT WHAT'S IN THE BUDGET, MOVING FORWARD, UH, FOR THIS, UM, AND, UM, THE EXTENT TO WHICH WE MIGHT NEED TO ADD TO THE PROJECT.

WE MOST DEFINITELY NEED TO FINISH, UH, THE IMPLEMENTATION OF AUSTIN CARES, AND THERE ARE A NUMBER OF ITEMS THAT HAVE NOT YET BEEN COMPLETED.

THEY, YOU KNOW, THE MEMO IS TELLING US THAT THEY'RE ON VARIOUS DATES THAT THEY'RE ON TRACK FOR.

SO WE CAN HAVE A CONVERSATION ABOUT THAT, BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE IT'S FULLY FUNDED IF WE NEED TO CONTINUE WITH OUR, UM, UH, IMPLEMENTATION APPROACH, UH, FROM THE MEADOWS FOUNDATION, WHICH HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL FOR US TO KEEP THIS PROJECT ON TRACK, THEN I WANT TO HAVE THAT CONVERSATION AS PART OF THE BUDGET.

UM, THIS IS JUST AN AMAZING PROGRAM AND I'VE BEEN PLEASED WITH THE PROGRESS TO DATE, BUT I DON'T THINK WE'RE DONE YET.

AND I THINK THAT'S CLEAR FROM THE MEMO AND I WOULD LIKE US TO CONTINUE TO MAKE STEADY PROGRESS BECAUSE WE'RE NOT WHERE WE NEED TO BE YET.

SO THAT'S A TOP PRIORITY.

I'M ALSO INTERESTED IN UNDERSTANDING THE PATH, UH, WHETHER IT'S THIS BUDGET OR ANOTHER PATH, BUT THE PATH FOR FUNDING FOR A KIND OF CARTS LAST DECEMBER WE PASSED.

UM, UH, I THINK IT WAS DECEMBER.

WE PASSED, UH, WE GOT STARTED ON PUTTING OUR ICONIC ARTS AND MUSIC, UM, FUND, AND IT'S NOW INTO THE, UM, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION AND WE STARTED FUNDING, BUT WE DIDN'T FULLY FUND IT.

WE SET A GOAL OF, OF, UH, ADDITIONAL FUNDING OVER THE NEXT NUMBER OF YEARS.

AND SO I JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHERE THAT'S AT.

UM, THE NEXT THING IS, I THINK WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT, UM, WHAT IS OUR FUNDING FOR THE HOUSING AND PLANNING DEPARTMENT, PARTICULARLY WITH REGARD TO ANTI-DISPLACEMENT, UM, ACTIVITIES.

SOME OF THOSE ARE AROUND PROJECT CONNECT, SOME OF THEM ARE, OR, UM, MORE GENERAL.

SO I'M WANTING TO, THIS IS JUST A QUESTION AT THIS POINT, I'M WANTING TO UNDERSTAND WHAT FUNDING, WHAT STAFFING WE HAVE IN HOUSING AND PLANNING TO, UH, TO ADDRESS THAT.

THE, AS WE ALL KNOW, WE, WHEN WE PASS PROJECT CONNECT, WE, UM, WE TOOK A PRECEDENT SETTING ACTION, YOU KNOW, ON A NATIONAL BASIS BY, UM, DEDICATING FUNDING FOR, UH, ANTI-DISPLACEMENT, WE'VE GOT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE'VE GOT THE STAFFING IN PLACE TO CARRY THAT OUT.

A COUPLE OF OTHER QUICK THINGS.

UM, I WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT FUNDING WE HAVE ALSO IN OUR PLANNING DEPARTMENT RELATED TO OUR TRANSIT ORIENTED DEVELOPMENT PLANNING AND DISTRICT LEVEL PLANNING, UH, AND THEN, UM, THE HOMELESS STRATEGY OFFICE, UH, I WANT TO MAKE SURE THERE'S A PATH FOR THE RIGHT LEVEL OF FUNDING FOR THAT OFFICE WHEN THEY'RE READY TO EXPAND.

SO JUST WANT TO UNDERSTAND THAT THAT'S A QUESTION.

AND THEN FINALLY, UM, I AM INTERESTED IN UNDERSTANDING BETTER, UH, WHAT OUR OPTIONS ARE FOR, UH, KEEPING THE APD BUDGET AT THE LEVEL THAT WE HAD IT AT IN OUR, UH, BENCHMARK YEAR.

I KNOW WE'VE ALL BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE FACT THAT THERE'S APPROXIMATELY 8 MILLION OR SO IN THAT BUDGET, THAT'S OVER THE, UM, WHAT OUR BENCHMARK IS BY HOSPITAL, UH, 1900.

AND I WOULD LIKE TO EXPLORE ADDITIONAL OPTIONS FOR, UM, UH, FOR TAKING THAT 8 MILLION AND NOT HAVING IT IN THIS BUDGET SO THAT OUR BUDGET IS MUCH CLOSER TO THE BENCHMARK BUDGET AND IDEALLY AT THE BENCHMARK BUDGET.

SO THAT'S, I UNDERSTAND THERE'S SOME CHALLENGES WITH THAT.

AND SO I WANT TO HAVE FURTHER CONVERSATIONS ABOUT IT.

SO THAT'S THE, THE KEY THINGS.

UM, YOU KNOW, I, I AM INTERESTED IN, UM, THE, UM, SOME OF THE THINGS THAT COUNCIL MEMBER KELLY AND COUNCIL MEMBER ALTAR, UH, MENTIONED.

SO I'LL GET BACK WITH THEM ON THAT.

UM, PARTICULARLY THOSE THAT ARE HEALTH-RELATED, I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THOSE AND THE SENIOR COMMISSION, WHICH I'VE BEEN WORKING ON AND ALL THESE OTHER THINGS.

SO IT SOUNDS LIKE WE HAVE A, A GOOD LIST OF THINGS SO FAR TO, TO HAVE CONVERSATIONS ABOUT, HEY, GOOD MORNING COLLEAGUES.

MY FIRST TIME SPEAKING ON THE DIETS, I'M EXCITED TO BE HERE WITH YOU ALL THIS MORNING.

UM, THANK YOU, A COUNCIL MEMBER KITCHEN.

I JOIN YOU AND WANTING TO KNOW MORE ABOUT OUR DISPLACEMENT PREVENTION INITIATIVES AND REALLY UNDERSTANDING THE PORTFOLIO OF WORK THAT THE CITY OF AUSTIN IS DOING IN REGARDS TO DISPLACEMENT PREVENTION.

WE KNOW THAT OUR CITY IS A GROWING CITY, IT'S A PROSPEROUS CITY, BUT NOT EVERYONE GETS TO SHARE IN THAT GROWTH AND SO ON TO MAKE SURE THAT WE'RE DOING RIGHT BY OUR COMMUNITY, DOING ALL THAT WE CAN TO

[00:25:01]

INVEST IN DISPLACEMENT PREVENTION STRATEGIES.

AND FOR ME, THAT INCLUDES THE CREATION AND ESTABLISHMENT OF A DISPLACED, UH, COMMUNITY DISPLACEMENT NAVIGATOR PROGRAM.

AND SO I LOOK FORWARD TO DISCUSSING WITH MY COLLEAGUES A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT THAT.

UM, AND THEN ALSO, YOU KNOW, JUST ACKNOWLEDGING THE MOMENT THAT WE'RE IN WITH THE REENTERING OF STAGE FOUR AND KNOWING HOW PREVALENT THE DELTA VARIAN IS BECOMING IN OUR COMMUNITY.

UM, IT IS NOT LOST ON ME THAT A HUGE PART OF THIS IS DUE TO THE VACCINE HESITANCY.

AND ONE WAY, ONE STRATEGY THAT WE CAN EMPLOY TO ADDRESS THIS CRITICAL MOMENT THAT WE HAVE IN OUR COMMUNITY IS BY INCREASING OUR INVESTMENT IN COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKERS.

AND THIS IS AN AREA THAT IT COMES RECOMMENDED FROM OUR COMMUNITY.

IT WAS PART OF THE REIMAGINING PUBLIC SAFETY TASK FORCE.

IT WAS ALSO RECOMMENDATION FROM THE HISPANIC QUALITY OF LIFE.

AND SO I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO DIG IN TO WHAT IS PROPOSED AND WHAT MORE WE CAN BE DOING ON THAT FRONT.

YOU KNOW, COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKERS ARE LICENSED PROFESSIONALS AND IS OFTEN SAID THAT THEY HAVE A PHD IN COMMUNITY, AND THAT'S THE TYPE OF INDIVIDUALS THAT WE NEED ON THE FRONT LINES RIGHT NOW, HAVING THOSE CONVERSATIONS WITH OUR COMMUNITY ABOUT WHY GETTING THE VACCINE IS IMPORTANT.

AND, UH, WHEN WE TALK ABOUT, UH, CREATING A STRONGER COMMUNITY, I THINK THAT IS PART OF IT.

SO THOSE ARE THE TWO AREAS THAT I'LL BE LOOKING AT LEARNING A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT HAVING CONVERSATIONS AROUND AND, UM, AND I LOOK FORWARD TO OUR FURTHER CONVERSATIONS.

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU, MAYOR.

I THINK WE'RE ALL FEELING A LITTLE RUSTY BEING ON THE DICE.

UM, I WANTED TO DAYLIGHT SOME OF THE THINGS THAT I'VE BEEN WORKING ON.

UM, THESE ARE POSTED TO THE MESSAGE BOARD AS, SO THEY ARE AVAILABLE FOR REFERENCE THERE.

UM, THE FIRST ONE IS, UH, OUR LOCAL PORTION OF MATCH FOR CAP COGS, CLEAN AIR COALITION.

UM, I HAVE CONFIRMATION THAT THAT IS INCLUDED, UM, AND BAKED INTO THE BUDGET ALREADY.

SO I'M VERY HAPPY TO HEAR THAT AND HAPPY TO AFFIRM THAT COMMITMENT, UM, TO CAP COG.

UM, I ALSO MENTIONED THE PROGRAMMING WORKFORCE FIRST THAT'S HANDLED BY THE OTHER ONE'S FOUNDATION.

I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN SOMETHING THAT WE HAVE INCREASED THROUGHOUT THE YEARS AND THAT I'VE, UM, I'M HAPPY THAT THE OTHER ONE'S FOUNDATION FOUND ITS ROOTS IN DISTRICT DATE.

THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY DOING AMAZING WORK, UM, WITHIN THE COMMUNITY OF MAKING SURE THAT PEOPLE EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS HAVE ACCESS TO JOBS AND SAFE PLACES TO STAY.

SO WE APPLAUD THOSE EFFORTS AND WANT TO CONTINUE INCREASING THE WORKFORCE FIRST PROGRAMMING.

UM, WE ALSO HAVE TALKED A BIT ABOUT EMS, AND SO I KNOW THAT IN THE ASK OF THE EMS ASSOCIATION, THERE HAS BEEN A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT, UM, ITEMS THAT HAVE BEEN BROUGHT FORWARD.

A FEW OF MY COLLEAGUES ARE ALSO WORKING ON, I SPECIFICALLY AM WORKING ON THE, UM, 40 FTES THAT THEY HAVE ASKED FOR HALF A YEAR OF FUNDING FOR.

UM, THIS IS OBVIOUSLY WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT IN FUTURE YEARS, WE WOULD WANT TO MAKE SURE THOUGH THAT ONGOING FUNDING IS CAPTURED.

SO THAT'S VERY MUCH ON MY RADAR AND WE'RE LOOKING AT HOW TO MAKE SURE THAT THOSE INCREASES IN STAFFING ARE FUNDED.

UM, WE DID HAVE A DISCUSSION WITH INTERIM CHIEF, UM, JASPER BROWN AND SELENA SHIA WITH THE EMS ASSOCIATION AND UNDERSTAND THAT WITH THE CLASSES THAT THEY CURRENTLY HAVE PLANNED, THERE MAY BE OPPORTUNITY TO INCREASE THE NUMBER OF PERSONNEL THAT CAN BE TRAINED IN THOSE CLASSES RATHER THAN HAVING TO FIND A THIRD CLASS TO CONDUCT.

SO WE ARE HAVING THOSE CONVERSATIONS AND POSITIVELY MOVING FORWARD AND TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE ABLE TO FULLY STAFF OUR EMS AND INCREASED STAFFING, KNOWING HOW MUCH WE HAVE BEEN RELYING ON THEM THROUGH THE PANDEMIC AND THROUGH THE WINTER STORM.

AND WE REALLY WANT TO MAKE SURE, UM, THAT OUR EMS MEDICS ARE VESTED AND HAVE MOMENTS OFF FOR THEIR OWN MENTAL HEALTH AND THEIR OWN PHYSICAL HEALTH.

UM, SO WE REALLY WANT TO MAKE SURE TO SUPPORT THAT.

AND THEN, UM, I AM CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH SOME OF THE, UM, EXTRA ASKS THAT THE PARKS FOUNDATION HAS, UM, HAS COME TO ME AND ASKED FOR ASSISTANCE WITH SOME OF THESE ARE FTES.

UM, AND SOME OF THESE ARE JUST CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS.

SO WE ARE CURRENTLY WORKING AT TRIAGING, UM, WHAT MAY ALREADY BE BAKED IN BECAUSE WE KNOW, UM, WE LOVE OUR PARKS SYSTEM AND WE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING AT WAYS TO HELP WITH OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE.

UM, WE KNOW THAT WE HAVE GOOD MECHANISMS THROUGH PARKLAND DEDICATION TO ACQUIRE A NEW PARK SPACES, BUT WE ALSO WANNA MAKE SURE THAT THOSE SPACES HAVE PROGRAMMING AND HAVE PLAYGROUNDS AND HAVE, UM, SPORTS AVAILABLE TO THE FOLKS WHO WANT TO USE THOSE PARKS AND THAT OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE FUNDING IS SOMETHING THAT, UM, IS SORELY NEEDED.

UM, WE LOVE OUR PARKS DEPARTMENT AND WE WANT THEM TO BE ABLE TO DO THE BEST THAT THEY CAN.

UM, AND SO WE'RE CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH SOME OF THE ASKS THAT ARE, THAT ARE IN THAT SHEET.

AND AGAIN, THESE ARE POSTED ON THE MESSAGE BOARD.

AND SO THESE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS THAT I'M WORKING THROUGH.

UM, AND I DO HAVE A QUESTION FOR OUR BUDGET DEPARTMENT.

MAYBE I MISSED, UM, WE USUALLY HAVE SHEETS THAT WE ARE ABLE TO FILL OUT.

UM, AND I DON'T KNOW IF I MISSED THAT IT CAME THROUGH THE INBOX OR IF THOSE ARE YET TO BE SENT TO US, BUT

[00:30:01]

WE ARE VERY EAGER TO START FILLING THOSE OUT.

THANK YOU, COUNCIL MEMBER.

UM, THE SHEETS WILL BE COMING BY THE END OF THIS WEEK.

OKAY, GOOD.

GLAD I DIDN'T MISS ANYTHING, BUT I LOOK FORWARD TO THAT AND SOME OF THE OTHER INITIATIVES THAT MY COLLEAGUES HAVE ALREADY IDENTIFIED, UM, THESE ALL SOUND LIKE GREAT THINGS THAT I CAN SUPPORT MOVING FORWARD.

SO NOW WE WILL JUST LOOK AT WHERE TO FIND THAT MONEY AND HOW, HOW TO MAKE THAT BUDGET WORK, BECAUSE THESE ARE ALL GREAT INITIATIVES.

YEAH.

THANK YOU.

AS I HAD POSTED ON THE MESSAGE BOARD, I TOO AM VERY INTERESTED IN LOOKING AT EMS STAFFING, ESPECIALLY IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA.

AND SO I THINK COUNCIL MEMBER ALTER HAD ASKED FOR THAT TO BE PART OF NEXT WEEK'S BRIEFING.

I THINK GIVEN THE INTEREST ON THE DIOCESE, UM, THAT WOULD CERTAINLY BE A HIGH PRIORITY FOR A FULLER CONVERSATION NEXT WEEK.

UM, I HAD HIGHLIGHTED SEVERAL OF THE OTHER AMENDMENTS ON THE MESSAGE BOARD.

SOME, SOME ARE NEW.

UM, I HAD MENTIONED THE CAMPUS FOOD SECURITY GRANT PROGRAM EMS, AS I MENTIONED, UM, I HAVE LEARNED THAT THE HEALTHCARE FOR THE HOMELESS PROGRAM THAT WE PILOTED WITH THE DOWNTOWN AUSTIN COMMUNITY COURT, I'M SORRY, WITH THE DOWNTOWN AUSTIN ALLIANCE, IT WAS A SHARED FUNDING.

WE HIGHLIGHTED IT, PILOTED IT, UM, PILOTED THE ADDITIONAL FUNDING.

OF COURSE THAT'S ALREADY BEEN PART OF THE DOC SERVICES FOR AWHILE.

UM, BUT IT, IT LOOKS TO ME FROM THE ANSWERS I'VE GOTTEN SO FAR FROM THE BUDGET OFFICE, THAT THERE IS NOT THAT ADDITIONAL BATCH OF FUNDING, UM, IN THE APPROVED BUDGET.

AND SO THAT IS CERTAINLY I WOULD REGARD AS A VERY HIGH PRIORITY.

I THINK WE, WE KNOW WE ARE LACKING IN THOSE SERVICES AND HAVING THAT ADDITIONAL FUNDING BEGINNING IN 2021 WAS REALLY USEFUL.

AND SO WE WANT TO SEE THAT CONTINUING, UM, I MENTIONED IN MY MESSAGE BOARD POSTS, THE CONTRACT LABOR ISSUES.

SO I'LL JUST REFER YOU TO THAT.

I BELIEVE THAT'S STILL AN IN FACT THAT MAY ALSO BE SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE TO HAVE A CONVERSATION AROUND AT OUR BUDGET WORK SESSION NEXT WEEK.

UM, JUST WHAT THE STAFF HAVE PROPOSED IN TERMS OF PHASING.

AND SOME OF THOSE POSITIONS THAT ARE, ARE CONSISTENT ONGOING NEEDS FOR THE CITY.

I KNOW THERE ARE SOME BEING PHASED IN, IN THIS BUDGET.

UM, BUT, BUT NOT TO THE EXTENT THAT THE WORK GROUP HAD HAD DIRECTED ONE ISSUE THAT HAS HAS ARISEN SINCE MY MESSAGE BOARD POSTS IS, UM, THE CONVERSATION THAT SEVERAL OF US HAVE BEEN HAVING WITH AUSTIN VOICES.

THEY ARE, THEY, UM, WE SUPPORT THE FAMILY RESOURCE CENTERS HAVE BEEN FOR AWHILE.

THAT'S, UH, AN INITIATIVE THAT CAME OUT OF THE JOINT SUBCOMMITTEE.

AND I, I BELIEVE I'VE HAD THE, BEEN ABLE TO SPONSOR THOSE BUDGET AMENDMENTS AND THEY ARE NOW PART OF, OF OUR ONGOING BUDGET.

THAT'S SUPPORT FOR THE FAMILY RESOURCE CENTERS WITH A LITTLE BIT OF ADDITIONAL INVESTMENT.

WE CAN REALLY HELP THEM BECOME PART OF THAT RESILIENCE HUB NETWORK THAT WE ARE, THAT WE HAVE DIRECTED.

AND SO, UM, LOUIS WAS HERE AT OUR BUDGET WORK SESSION LAST WEEK.

AND AGAIN, I KNOW HAS MET WITH SEVERAL OF US OF US, UM, BUT I WILL BE BRINGING FORWARD AN AMENDMENT TO, TO MAKE THAT PART OF EITHER OUR GENERAL BUDGET OR PART OF OUR FEDERAL FUNDING.

AND WE'RE STILL WAITING ON SOME ANSWERS WITH REGARD TO THAT.

UM, I WAS REALLY, UM, I AM ALSO TROUBLED BY THE INFORMATION THAT HAS BEEN IN THE KX AND REPORTS THIS WEEK ABOUT THE NINE ONE CALL TAKERS, UM, MANAGER.

I HOPE THAT WHEN WE HAVE THAT CONVERSATION NEXT WEEK IN OUR BUDGET WORK SESSION, THAT YOU HELP US UNDERSTAND WHY THAT'S NOT BEEN A HIGHLIGHT THAT THE MANAGER HAS, HAS BROUGHT TO OUR ATTENTION.

UM, I, I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED THAT THAT WOULD HAVE RISEN TO THE LEVEL OF, OF BOTH YOUR ATTENTION AND THAT YOU WOULD HAVE BROUGHT IT TO OUR ATTENTION AND THAT IT WOULD BE REFLECTED IN THIS YEAR'S BUDGET.

AND SO I TRUST THAT WE'RE HAVING, BECAUSE COUNCIL MEMBER ALTRA HAS REQUESTED IT, UM, UH, CONVERSATION AROUND THAT IN NEXT WEEK'S BUDGET WORK SESSION.

BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A LITTLE BIT BETTER SENSE AS WE TALK ABOUT THAT.

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A LITTLE BIT BETTER SENSE OF THE TIMELINE ON THOSE VACANCIES.

AND AGAIN, WHY THERE WASN'T A SENSE OF URGENCY IF IT IS THE URGENT SITUATION THAT IT WAS APPEARED TO BE.

AND IN OUR SESSION YESTERDAY, COUNCIL MEMBER KELLY, YOU SAID BOTH ON THE DIOCESE AND IN, IN THE PRESS THAT YOU WISH YOUR COLLEAGUES WOULD GO DOWN AND, AND SEE WHAT THE CALTECH I HAVE DONE.

SO, UM, IT IS A HIGH STRESS JOB.

UM, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE WORK THAT THEY DO.

AND I WOULD SAY PROBABLY OTHERS OF YOUR COLLEAGUES ON THE DYNAS HAVE DONE.

SO AS WELL, MANY OF US HAVE, HAVE DONE THOSE KINDS OF, UM, IN-PERSON IN PERSON VIEWS TO SEE HOW OUR CITY STAFF AND ESPECIALLY OUR PUBLIC SAFETY STAFF RESPOND TO THIS SITUATION.

SO I REGARD THAT AS A HIGH, DEPENDING ON THE INFORMATION THAT WE'RE PROVIDED, IT DOES SOUND AS IF THAT'S AN ATTEMPT.

THAT'S AN AREA THAT NEEDS ATTENTION IN THIS, IN THIS YEAR'S BUDGET.

SO THANKS.

I LOOK FORWARD TO THE CONVERSATIONS AND, UM, WE'RE JUST CALL YOUR ATTENTION.

I'VE, I'VE PUT LOTS OF QUESTIONS INTO THE Q AND A, AND, AND HOPE, HOPE WE'LL BE GETTING BACK ANSWERS TO THOSE AND SOME OF THE QUESTIONS THAT YOU ALL HAVE RAISED AS WELL.

[00:35:03]

THEN I HAD ONE LITTLE OR WAS, I THINK, I THINK IT WAS NEW.

AND I THINK WE'RE ALL LOOKING FOR YOU TO COME BACK AND TALK TO US.

I ALSO HAVE BEEN THERE TO SEE OUR EMPLOYEES WORK, I THINK OTHER SIDE OF AS WELL.

UH, BUT I THINK YOU'RE COMING BACK AND TALKING TO US, I'M SORRY, BUT YOU COMING, I WAS GOING TO SAY THE 9 1, 1 ALSO IS OF CONCERN AND ISSUE WITH THAT.

I WAS MAD FOR ME OR WITH, UH, AND I WAS ASKING, I WAS, I WAS, UH, UH, REINFORCING THE MESSAGE FROM, UM, UH, COUNCIL MEMBER KELLY.

TOVO TOOK HER BACK AND COMES OVER HALTER TO COME BACK AND TALK TO US ABOUT THAT OUT.

YOU DID POINT OUT THAT I'VE ALSO BEEN OUT THERE, I THINK ARE PROBABLY SEVERAL OF US OR MANY OF US HAVE.

UM, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THAT AS WELL.

SO FIRST I'D LIKE TO MENTION, UH, AREAS WHERE EITHER I LIKE TO DIG IN WITH THE STAFF AND THEN IF IT'S APPROPRIATE, WE HAVE A CONVERSATION AS A GROUP.

UM, ONE POTENTIAL CONVERSATION WOULD BE TO LOOK AT, UH, INTERNAL AFFAIRS.

PART OF WHAT WE HAD DISCUSSED IN LAST YEAR'S BUDGET WAS WHETHER OR NOT ANY OF THOSE OFFICERS COULD ACTUALLY BE FREED UP FOR, UH, INVESTIGATIVE WORK OR, OR POLICE WORK, UH, IN THAT WE COULD LOOK AT WHETHER OUR OFFICE OF CIVIL RIGHTS COULD HANDLE SOME OF THAT, UH, INVESTIGATORY WORK.

SO, UH, I I'D LIKE TO MAYBE HAVE AN INTERNAL CONVERSATION WITH THE STAFF AND SEE WHETHER THAT IS READY FOR A BROADER COUNCIL CONVERSATION, AS WELL AS I APPRECIATE THE, THE MEMO ON FORENSICS.

IT MAY JUST BE A, A SHORT CONVERSATION ABOUT, UH, WHAT THE MANAGER CAN DO, UM, AND WHAT THE STAFF CAN DO AROUND THE FORENSICS LAB EITHER THIS YEAR OR NEXT, AS FAR AS, UH, AS FAR AS FURTHER INVESTMENTS, I CONCUR WITH COUNCIL MEMBER ALTER AROUND, UH, THE OFFICE OF VIOLENCE PREVENTION.

I APPRECIATE ALL THE WORK THAT YOUR OFFICE HAS DONE.

I APPRECIATE, UH, THE MANAGER SELECTION OF MS. MILES.

I THINK SHE'S BEEN DOING A GREAT JOB.

UH, I'VE GOTTEN SOME CALLS FROM PEOPLE IN THE WORLD OF PHILANTHROPY WHO WANTS TO SEE THAT EXPAND MORE QUICKLY.

AND SO IF THERE ARE POTENTIAL MATCHING OPPORTUNITIES, POTENTIALLY EVEN ONE TIME DOLLARS MAY, MAY PROVIDE US ENOUGH FUNDS TO ACTUALLY STAND UP MORE PROGRAMMING.

SO, UM, I LOOK FORWARD TO COLLABORATING WITH EVERYONE ON THE DAYAS ON THAT, UH, LAST YEAR WE MOVED FORWARD ON FUNDING.

UH, OUR FIRST NEW FAMILY VIOLENCE SHELTER BEDS FUNDED BY THE CITY AND MANY YEARS.

UH, MY HOPE IS THAT WE COULD GET THAT PURCHASE DONE IN THIS FISCAL YEAR, BUT WE ARE HEARING FROM REAL ESTATE THAT IF THAT DOESN'T GET DONE THIS FISCAL YEAR WITH THE INCREASE IN REAL ESTATE PRICES, WE MAY NEED TO ADD A LITTLE BIT OF MONEY TO, UH, TO THAT BUDGET IF WE WANT TO SUCCEED IN THIS REAL ESTATE MARKETS.

UH, SO I WILL BE IN TOUCH WITH EVERYONE ABOUT THAT.

I APPRECIATE, UH, UH, COUNCIL MEMBER TOGO'S LEADERSHIP ON THE JOINT SUBCOMMITTEE AND AGREE THAT THE, UH, AUSTIN VOICES, UH, UH, STAFF AT OUR SCHOOLS REALLY DO RESILIENCE HUB WORK.

I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN, THEY ALSO HIRE MANY COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKERS AS WELL.

UH, AND SO I, I ALSO AGREE WITH COUNCIL MEMBER FLINT DOES THAT IF THERE IS WORK THAT WE CAN DO THERE WITHIN OUR FEDERAL FUNDS, UM, OR THE EXISTING CITY BUDGET TO ADD MORE OF THOSE, UM, COMMUNITIES FACING STAFF THAT HELP WITH RESILIENCY AND COMMUNITY HEALTH AT OUR SCHOOLS.

I THINK THAT THAT IS SOMETHING THAT, UM, UH, I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SUPPORT AND, AND SUPPORT, UH, WHOEVER CHOOSES TO SPONSOR THOSE, THOSE AMENDMENTS, UH, OR, OR WOULD WORK WITH WHOEVER ON, ON JOINTLY SUPPORTING THAT WORK.

UH, I CONCUR THAT THAT ADDING IS CRITICAL.

I KNOW WE HAVE ASKS FROM, FROM EMS AND FIRE AND ALSO FROM THE PARKS FOUNDATION, AS IT RELATES TO, UH, TO PARKS RANGERS, AS WELL AS OUR CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES AND THEIR, AND THEIR COST OF LIVING ISSUES.

UM, LASTLY, UH, COUNCIL MEMBER KITCHEN, I LOOK FORWARD TO THE CONVERSATION ABOUT, UH, ABOUT AUSTIN CURES CLEARLY IS SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY SAVES US RESOURCES IF WE'RE ABLE TO MATCH THE RIGHT RESPONSE TO THE KIND OF CALL.

UH, AND THEN THE LAST THING I WILL MENTION, BECAUSE I ASSUME IF THE PETITION IS VERIFIED THAT WE WILL BE TAKING A VOTE ON WHETHER TO ADOPT THE PETITION OR NOT, UH, BEFORE THE BUDGET IS THAT I WOULD LIKE, YOU KNOW, A GENERAL RANGE ESTIMATE AROUND HOW MANY POLICE OFFICERS, THE PETITION THAT'S BEEN TURNED INTO US WOULD MANDATE HIRING.

I KNOW LAW MADE HAVE TO PROVIDE US A RANGE BASED ON A RANGE OF INTERPRETATIONS, BUT THE NUMBERS THAT I SEE CIRCULATING IN THE 400 TO 500 RANGE IS SIGNIFICANT.

AND I THINK WE SHOULD, UH, TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION AS WE WORK ON THIS BUDGET.

UH, IT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT WE'RE STRUGGLING TO GET DONE HERE IS MAYBE FOUR COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKERS, OR 12 PARK RANGERS, OR NINE MEDICS FOR DOWNTOWN OR A DOZEN MORE FIREFIGHTERS.

OBVIOUSLY THAT DIFFICULT TASK WOULD BE MADE IMPOSSIBLE.

IF WE WERE MANDATED TO HIRE SEVERAL HUNDRED UP TO 500 MORE POLICE OFFICERS NEXT YEAR, I SUPPORT, UM, HAVING CADET, UH, ACADEMIES IN THIS AND THIS

[00:40:01]

YEAR'S BUDGET, MEANING WE'LL HAVE NEW POLICE OFFICERS, BUT ALSO NEW FIREFIGHTERS AND ALSO NEW EMS. AS WE ALSO WANT TO ADD NINE ONE, ONE CALL TAKERS.

I THINK THAT COMPREHENSIVE VIEW OF OUR BUDGET IS THE RIGHT VIEW.

AND I THINK IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT AS WE, AS IT DIAS CHOOSE WHETHER OR NOT TO ADOPT TO THE PETITION FOR US TO RECOGNIZE THAT A DOZEN PARK RANGERS OR GETTING OUR LIBRARIES BACK OPEN OR NINE EMS, NOT ONLY WOULD THAT BE IMPOSSIBLE, BUT WE MAY ACTUALLY BE LOOKING AT CUTS IF WE'RE TALKING ABOUT 500 MORE POSITIONS.

SO ANY INFORMATION FROM THE CFO AND THE BUDGET OFFICE ON THAT, I THINK WILL BE IMPORTANT FOR OUR BUDGET DELIBERATIONS, IF ANYBODY ELSE, OR WHATEVER, THAT'S WHERE THE KITCHEN, UNLESS THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE I'VE ALREADY SPOKEN, BUT DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING I WANT TO ADD THAT I CAN? OKAY.

SO THIS, THIS REALLY RELATES TO OUR CONVERSATIONS MOST LIKELY AROUND, UM, THE FUNDING WE'VE DEDICATED THAT WE'RE, THAT WE'VE TALKED ABOUT ALREADY WITH REGARD TO HOMELESSNESS, BUT I JUST WANT TO FLAG IT FOR PEOPLE.

UH, AND CAUSE I KNOW THAT MAY BE ON A SEPARATE TRACK IN TERMS OF THAT CONVERSATION, BUT, UM, I DO WANT US TO HAVE A CONVERSATION AT THE RIGHT TIME ABOUT PHASE TWO OF THE HEAL INITIATIVE.

UH, THE HEAL INITIATIVE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL SO FAR WITH TWO LOCATIONS AND THERE ARE TWO ADDITIONAL LOCATIONS IN THE, IN THE PILOT AND THE HEALING IS, SHOULD JUST AS A REMINDER TO EVERYONE IS THE, UH, INITIATIVE THAT, UH, ACTUALLY, UH, GOES TO A LOCATION, OFFERS PEOPLE HOUSING, AND CONNECTS THEM TO HOUSING AND SERVICES TO PUT THEM ON THE PATH TO PERMANENT HOUSING.

AND SO WE'VE HAD SUCCESS WITH THE LIBRARY AREA AND ALSO THE MEN CHECKUP AND WIDE AREA.

AND THEN THERE ARE TWO AREAS COMING UP, ONE ALONG CESAR CHAVEZ AND WENT UP NORTH ALONG 180 3.

AND SO, UM, I JUST WANT TO SING THE PRAISES OF ALL, ALL OF THE MANY STAFF THAT HAVE BEEN INVOLVED WITH THAT.

UH, THEY'VE DONE AN EXCELLENT JOB, UH, IN, IN WORKING WITH, UM, OUR HOMELESS INDIVIDUALS AND GIVING THEM A PATH TO PERMANENT HOUSING.

SO IT'S REALLY BEEN A GREAT PROGRAM AND I'M AT THE RIGHT TIME IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

I WANT TO HAVE A CONVERSATION ABOUT, UM, MOVING FORWARD WITH PHASE TWO OF THAT AND THE OTHER, THEY REGARD IF WE'RE HAVING AN UPDATE ON HOMELESSNESS, IF, IF IN THE CONTEXT OF THE HEAL, THERE COULD BE SOME DISCUSSION OF THE TWO HOTELS THAT ARE ON THE AGENDA THIS WEEK, WHERE WE'RE EXTENDING, UH, LISA'S ABOUT AVAILABILITY FOR HOUSING, IF THOSE RELATE TO THE IMPLEMENTATIONS COUNCIL EVER ALTER.

OKAY, THANK YOU.

UM, I'VE BEEN, I JUST WANT TO GO BACK TO THE NINE 11 TO MAKE SURE THAT WHEN WE HAVE THE BRIEFING THAT WE'RE ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT THE RIGHT THING.

SO I'VE BEEN, UM, ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SINCE JUNE, UM, AND THE DATA THAT I HAVE BACK PROVIDE ONE SNAPSHOT, BUT REALLY THE CONCERN IS THE PEOPLE WHO ARE LEAVING OR NOT STAYING, WHO ARE GETTING THE TRAINING AND LEAVING.

WE HAVE A LOT OF LONG STANDING, REALLY VALUABLE EMPLOYEES THAT ARE IN THAT DEPARTMENT WHO HAVE STAYED FOR A LONG TIME AND THAT'S GOOD.

UM, BUT WE'RE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THAT NEW COHORT AND WE HAVE TO UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THAT NEW COHORT.

AND SO SOME OF THE DATA ON THE WAY THAT DATA IS PRESENTED, DOESN'T ACTUALLY FOCUS US IN ON THE CHALLENGE THAT HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED, UM, WITH THAT RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION IS, AND, YOU KNOW, OBVIOUSLY WE ALSO WANT TO TAKE CARE OF OUR LONGSTANDING DEVOTED EMPLOYEES, BUT THE PROBLEM THAT WE'RE TRYING TO ADDRESS IS NOT GOING TO BE REVEALED BY A VACANCY RATE AND A TERM OF HOW LONG THEY'VE BEEN IN SERVICE, BECAUSE WHEN YOU DO THAT, YOU'RE NOT MEASURING, WHO'S LEAVING, WHY THEY'RE LEAVING AND UNDERSTANDING, UM, THAT PIECE OF IT.

UM, YOU KNOW, AND THEN THERE'S ALSO THE ISSUE OF WHETHER THEY'RE HAVING THE BREAKS THAT THEY NEED TO HAVE, UM, AND OTHER, OTHER KINDS OF STUFF.

SO, YOU KNOW, WHEN WE HAVE THAT CONVERSATION ON TUESDAY, WE REALLY HOPE THAT, UM, WE'LL HAVE THE BENEFIT OF THE CONVERSATIONS.

I KNOW THAT HAVE BEEN GOING ON WITH THE CITY MANAGER'S OFFICE IN THAT DEPARTMENT.

UM, BUT REALLY FOCUSING IN ON THE, THE CHALLENGE, UM, THAT WE'RE OBSERVING AND FIGURING OUT, YOU KNOW, THIS IS THE PIECE OF THE PUZZLE THAT'S IMPACTING ELSE, AND THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO SOLVE FOR AND HELPING US TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT IS.

UM, I THINK IS REALLY IMPORTANT, UM, BECAUSE THE, THE, THE PIECE IN CAKES AND WAS STILL VERY SUPERFICIAL AND DIDN'T GET AT A LOT OF THE PIECES IN TERMS OF WHAT'S REALLY GOING ON AND HOW WE NEED TO ADDRESS IT FROM A MANAGEMENT PERSPECTIVE, FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN ABLE TO GATHER, UM, IN LOOKING AT THIS FOR OVER A MONTH, TRYING TO UNDERSTAND IT AND HAVE CONVERSATIONS.

[00:45:03]

YES, SCOUTS ARE QUITE THIS.

THANK YOU.

I JUST, I WOULD BE REMISS IF I DIDN'T SHARE MY STRONG SUPPORT FOR INCREASING INVESTMENT AND EMS. UM, ESPECIALLY WE KNOW WHEN LIVES ARE ON THE LINE, HOW CRITICAL AND IMPORTANT SECONDS MATTER AND STEPPING UP OUR DOWNTOWN STATION WILL HELP AREAS LIKE MINE BY ENSURING THAT WE ARE ABLE TO USE A STATION LOCATED IN MY DISTRICT FOR CASES AND SERVICES NEEDED MORE LOCALLY.

UM, ALSO WANTED TO THANK COUNCIL MEMBER TOBO CASSATA FOR BRINGING UP THE AUSTIN VOICES PROPOSAL.

I'M MEETING WITH THEM TOMORROW TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IT.

I DO, I LOVE THAT THERE'LL BE SOME CROSSOVER AND SOME SYNERGY WITH COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKERS.

AND SO I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO LEARNING MORE AND TO ALSO OFFER MY SUPPORT FOR THE AUSTIN VOICES PROPOSAL.

THANK YOU.

YEAH.

THANK YOU.

AND I AGREE, COUNCIL MEMBER OF FRONTEX THAT THERE, THERE IS DEFINITELY A SYNERGY, ONE OF THE, SO WE SUBMITTED A QUESTION ABOUT COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKERS A WHILE AGO, BUT AS, AS I TALKED WITH AUSTIN VOICES AND JUST THOUGHT THROUGH SOME OF THE OTHER, SOME OF THE OTHER DEPARTMENTS WERE, UM, WORKING ON A QUESTION THAT LOOKS AT, I THINK WE NEED TO BETTER UNDERSTAND WHERE WE ARE ALREADY FUNDING COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKERS, UM, BECAUSE THEY ALREADY, I BELIEVE IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD CENTERS, WE'RE PROPOSING TO GET, UM, TO APH HAS PROPOSED TO HIRE SOME NEW ONES AND, AND, UM, CREATE A CAREER LADDER.

AND THEN I THINK WE FUND SOME THROUGH THE FAMILY RESOURCE CENTER, EXISTING GRANT.

SO LET'S JUST TRY TO GET, I AGREE THAT THAT'S A VERY IMPORTANT AREA.

LET'S TRY TO GET SOME INFORMATION ABOUT WHERE THEY ALREADY EXIST IN OUR BUDGET AND, AND WHETHER, YOU KNOW, THOSE ARE THE RIGHT PLACES TO BE FUNDING IT, UM, AS WE HAVE THAT CONVERSATION.

SO I HAVE, I WAS ACTUALLY AT THE MOMENT DRAFTING THAT QUESTION.

I'M GOING TO GO AHEAD AND SEND IT ON FOR THE Q AND A, AND WE CAN KIND OF GO FROM THERE AND SORT OUT HOW BEST TO PROCEED COLLEAGUES HAD IT HERE.

AND I WOULD JUST ALSO ASK TO REITERATE WHAT, UH, ASKED FOR, UH, AS PART OF THIS BUDGET PROCESS ROBERTS.

I GOT TO BE CONSIDERING THAT PETITION, IF IT GETS CERTIFIED OR EVEN TO CONSIDER THOSE ELEMENTS, EVEN IF IT DOESN'T GET CERTIFIED, UM, UH, I HAVE SOME CONCERNS ABOUT IT JUST KNOWING THAT THE POLICE CHIEF CHIEF CHACONE DOES NOT SUPPORT IT AND, AND RECOMMENDS THAT A METRIC THAT AUTOMATICALLY INCREASES THE NUMBER OF OFFICERS IT'S THE WRONG METRIC TO USE.

UH, BUT FROM A BUDGET STANDPOINT, I AM INTERESTED IN LEARNING WHAT THE BUDGET IMPACT OF THAT WOULD BE, UH, BOTH IN NEAR TERM BUDGETS HAVE LOGGED HER BUDGET, UH, TO SEE, EXCUSE ME, MAYOR WITH YOUR MASK ON, YOU GOTTA SPEAK UP.

OKAY.

I'M ALSO ASKING, I RE RE REITERATING WHAT, UH, COUNCIL MEMBER KASAR HE ASKED FOR, I'M ASKING THE BANDAGE OR AN ADD TO LET US KNOW RELATIVE TO THE BUDGET PROCESS, BECAUSE I WOULD IMAGINE WE'LL BE CONSIDERING, AGAIN, EITHER IF THE PETITION GETS APPROVED OR EVEN IF THE PETITION IS NOT CERTIFIED TO TAKE A LOOK AT WHETHER WE SHOULD BE DOING THOSE ELEMENTS.

I EXPRESSED SOME CONCERN KNOWING THAT, UH, CHIEF CHACONE HAS INDICATED THAT THAT METRIC CONTAINED IN THE PETITION IS NOT SOMETHING THAT HE SUPPORTS, UH, AS BEING THE WRONG KIND OF METRIC.

BUT I'M INTERESTED IN KNOWING WHAT THE IMPACT WOULD BE SHORT TERM BUDGET AND LONG TERM BUDGET, UH, WITH RESPECT TO THAT METRIC, IF IT WERE IN OUR BUDGET, UH, THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS THAT PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR TODAY IN TERMS OF ADDITIONAL MENTAL HEALTH INTERVENTION, UH, UH, EMS PERSONNEL, WE'RE OPENING UP NEW FIRE, UH, UH, HOUSES.

UH, WE NEED ADDITIONAL FIREFIGHTERS, THERE'S QUESTIONS ABOUT PARKS AND PERSONNEL AND OPENING UP LIBRARIES.

SO I AM, I HAVE A CONCERN, UH, AND JUST, WE JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT THAT, WHAT THE IMPACT OF THAT, OF THAT PETITION WOULD BE IN THE COMMUNITY NEEDS TO KNOW.

AND THE GAPS BEFORE WE GO INTO EXECUTIVE SESSION SAID, WE'LL DO THAT CITY COUNCIL

[E. Executive Session (Part 1of 2)]

WILL NOW GO INTO CLOSED SESSION TO TAKE UP FOUR ITEMS PURSUANT TO SECTION FIVE, FIVE WIDE DOT OH SEVEN.

ONE OF THE GOVERNMENT CODE, THE CITY COUNCIL WILL DISCUSS LEGAL ISSUES RELATED TO ITEMS , WHICH IS, UH, UH, ROCA, THE CITY OF AUSTIN , WHICH IS THE POTENTIAL NOVEMBER 2ND, 2021 ELECTION, AND PURSUANT TO 5, 5, 1 0 7 1 AND 5, 5, 1 0 7 TO THE GOVERNMENT CODE.

THE CITY COUNCIL WILL DISCUSS LEGAL ISSUES AND REAL ESTATE MATTERS RELATED TO EAT TO THE PURPOSE EXCHANGE, LEASE OR VALUE OF ANY INTEREST IN REAL PROPERTY AND IMPROVEMENTS RELATED TO HOTEL CONVERSION STRATEGY PURSUANT TO 5, 5, 1 0 7 4, THE GOVERNMENT CODE WE'LL DISCUSS PERSONNEL MATTERS RELATED TO HE SIX,

[00:50:01]

UH, EMPLOYMENT DUTIES, EVALUATION, CITY MANAGER.

HE, WHY WOULD I BE HEARD TODAY? E THREE WOULD NOT BE HEARD TODAY, UH, IS HEARD ON THURSDAY.

ETHER WILL BE HEARD ON THURSDAY.

UH, AND WITH THAT, WITHOUT OBJECTION, WE'LL GO INTO EXECUTIVE SESSION OR THE ITEMS THAT, THAT IT'S 9 57, UH, LET'S ALL WORK OUR WAY BACK THERE.

WE'LL, WE'LL GOBBLE THAT IN AT 10 0 5 BACK THERE.

GIVE EVERYBODY QUICK BREAK.

ALL RIGHT.

WE'RE IN RECESS THAT COULD A SESSION ROOM.

WE'LL CONTINUE

[E. Executive Session (Part 2 of 2)]

THE EXECUTIVE SESSION MEETING.

YES.

HER OLDER.

UM, I HAVE TO LEAVE AT TWO 30.

I JUST WANTED TO FLAG THE ITEMS THAT I WAS GETTING INFORMATION ON, JUST SO THAT OTHERS MIGHT KNOW IF THEY WANT TO GO LOOK AT THOSE ITEMS. UM, AND I'M TALKING TO STAFF AND I'M HOPING I'LL GET ALL MY QUESTIONS ANSWERED TOMORROW, BUT, UM, FOR ITEMS FOR BEFORE YOU DO THAT, IF WE'RE GOING TO DO THAT, AND WE'RE ACTUALLY NOT RECONVENE THAT, OH, I'M SORRY.

THEN WE CAN GO BACK.

SO I'M GOING TO GO AHEAD THEN AND JUST SAY THAT, UH, I'M NOT GOING TO BE IN THE CITY COUNCIL MEETING NOW HERE AT, UH, 2:18 PM WHILE WE WERE IN EXECUTIVE SESSION EARLIER THIS MORNING, WE DISCUSSED, UM, ITEM, UH, EASY TO BOTH LEGAL AND REAL ESTATE MATTERS, UH, ITEM SIX, UH, AND WE'RE BACK OUT, UH, UH, NOW I'M GOING TO RECOGNIZE YOU TO IDENTIFY OTHER CASES, UM, OTHER MATTERS YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH, UH, AND WE'RE GOING TO HEAD BACK TO EXECUTIVE SESSION.

THAT'S OUR KITCHEN.

JUST, JUST, UH, A QUICK SCHEDULE QUESTION.

UM, SO WE'RE GOING BACK TO THE EXECUTIVE SESSION.

WHEN, WHEN DO YOU THINK WILL TAKE UP THE MEADOWS OF, I, I SAID EARLIER THAT I HAVE TO STEP OUT THREE, AS SOON AS WE GET BACK.

I DON'T THINK IT'LL TAKE US THAT LONG IN THE REMAINING.

OKAY.

OKAY.

IF SO, WE'LL COME BACK.

OKAY.

OKAY.

I JUST HAVE TO STEP OUT AT THREE 30.

OKAY.

OKAY.

IF I MAY, UM, UH, UH, MAPLE JAM HARPER MADISON YEAR, UM, I'M SORRY, CAN YOU SAY THE LESS THAN YOU SAID, YOU MEAN THE CITY COUNCIL MEETING HERE TODAY ON JULY 27TH, 2021 AT 2:18 PM.

I ANNOUNCED WE WERE BACK FROM THE, UH, EXECUTIVE SESSION WHERE WE'RE IN RECESS.

WE'RE GOING TO GO BACK TO THERE, BUT BEFORE WE GO BACK OUT TO EXECUTIVE SESSION, I'M RECOGNIZING COUNCIL MEMBER ALTAR WHO MAY NOT BE ABLE TO JOIN US BACK OUT ON THE DAY, S UH, FOR HER TO LET US KNOW WHAT ARE THE ISSUES SHE HAD DISSIPATES COMING UP ON THURSDAY.

SHE WANTS TO DAYLIGHT.

THANK YOU.

AND I, BY THE WAY, EXITED THE EXECUTIVE SESSION THING, CAUSE WE COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.

SO SOMEBODY MIGHT HAVE TO TURN THE MEETING BACK ON IN THE ROOM.

UM, OKAY.

SO I JUST WANT TO DEFY THAT I AM MEETING WITH STAFF ABOUT FOUR, WHICH IS THE ARR, UH, CONTRACT AGREEMENT.

UM, I'M TALKING WITH STAFF ABOUT EIGHT AND 43.

UM, AGAIN, I'M HOPING THAT IN MOST OF THOSE CASES, I'LL JUST GET MY QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND I WON'T HAVE TO PULL IT.

UM, BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO SURPRISE ANYBODY ON THOSE.

UM, SINCE THEY'RE BIG ITEMS, THEN I MAY HAVE SOME QUESTIONS.

AND THEN I DO HAVE, I DO HAVE, UM, SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ST JOHN'S, BUT I THINK ANOTHER COLLEAGUE IS RAISING THOSE AND IF THEY DON'T GET ADDRESSED, UM, IT'S MOSTLY ABOUT HOW WE'RE HANDLING THE LEASE VERSUS OWN, UM, PIECE OF THAT.

UM, SO I DON'T, I D I THINK SOMEBODY ELSE WILL COVER THAT.

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU WITH THAT.

UH, ALL RIGHT.

SO AT, UH, 2 21, WE GOT A RECESS AND SAUSAGE CITY COUNCIL MEETING.

LET'S GO BACK TO EXECUTIVE SESSION AND TURN BACK ON THAT SYSTEM.

GO AHEAD AND RECONVENE THE AUSTIN CITY COUNCIL MEETING HERE ON JULY 27TH, 2020 1, 4 10 IN THE AFTERNOON.

UH, WE ARE OUT OF A CLOSED SESSION WHILE WE WERE IN CLOSED SESSION.

WE DISCUSSED LEGAL ISSUES RELATED ITEMS, REAL ESTATE MATTERS AND LEGAL ISSUES RELATED TO ITEMS E TO PERSONNEL MATTERS RELATED TO ITEMS EAST SIX.

WE'RE GOING TO HIT SOME OF THE, UH, UH, UH, DISCUSSION ITEMS. WE'RE GOING TO BEGIN WITH THE BETOS FOUNDATION.

UH, BUT BEFORE WE DO THAT, WE HAVE A MESSAGE OF UTMOST

[00:55:01]

IMPORTANCE.

THANK YOU, MAYOR.

THANK YOU, COUNCIL.

I JUST WANTED TO TAKE A MOMENT AND WISH MY DAUGHTER A VERY HAPPY 12TH BIRTHDAY TODAY.

SHE TURNS 12 TODAY AND SHE IS ACTUALLY OUT OF TOWN FOR THE FIRST TIME AWAY FROM HER MOM AND DAD.

AND SO SHE'S A LOVELY, BRIGHT LITTLE GIRL, AND I HOPE THAT I MAKE HER PROUD IN EVERYTHING THAT I DO UP HERE ON COUNCIL AND THAT SHE IS JUST A BRIGHT LIGHT TO ALL OF HER FRIENDS.

SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REBECCA.

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

THANK YOU.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, REBECCA, FROM ALL OF US.

ALL RIGHT.

THIS MEETING GOES DOWNHILL FROM HERE.

ALL RIGHT.

[D3. Discussion on the Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute’s Interim Report regarding the mental health diversion initiative.]

MEADOWS FOUNDATION.

THANK YOU, MAYOR AND COUNCIL.

THIS IS A BRIEFING ON THE MEADOWS MENTAL HEALTH POLICY INSTITUTE, INTERIM REPORTS, UH, REGARDING THE MENTAL HEALTH DIVERSION INITIATIVE.

UH, THIS WAS A REQUEST OF COUNCIL MEMBER KITCHEN, BUT WE'RE GOING TO HAVE,