Link

Social

Embed

Disable autoplay on embedded content?

Download

Download
Download Transcript


[00:00:05]

TWO.

I'M CALLING THIS MEETING THE REGULAR MEETING OF THE PARKS AND BOARD, PARKS AND RECREATION

[CALL TO ORDER]

BOARD ON AUGUST 28TH.

TO ORDER.

AT THIS TIME, I'M GONNA DO A CALL TO ORDER.

PEDRO VILLALOBOS PRESENT.

CATHERINE FLOWERS.

NICOLE MERRIT.

STEPHANIE BISON PRESENT.

LISA HAGMAN.

YOU ARE ON MUTE.

OKAY.

PRESENT.

JULIE HAYES.

PRESENT.

KIM TAYLOR.

JENNIFER FRANKLIN PRESENT.

HOLLY REED PRESENT.

AND LANE BECKER PRESENT.

ALL RIGHT.

HAVING MET A QUORUM, I WILL NOW, UH, PROCEED.

[PUBLIC COMMUNICATION: GENERAL]

UM, AT THIS TIME WE'RE GOING TO DO PUBLIC COMMUNICATION.

UH, THIS IS GONNA BE THE GENERAL PUBLIC COMMUNICATION.

MR. BECK, CAN YOU PLEASE CALL THE FIRST SPEAKER, GIVE TO KIND.

UH, YES.

OUR FIRST GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENTER WILL BE DIANA CHER.

THIS IS GOOD EVENING CHAIRMAN AND PARKS BOARD MEMBERS.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR VOLUNTEER SERVICE TO THE CITY OF AUSTIN'S PARKS.

MY NAME'S DIANA PROCTOR.

YOU HAVE A PACKET FROM ME, WHICH IS A REPORT THAT I RECENTLY GAVE TO ASSISTANT CITY MANAGER HAYDEN HOWARD.

I'M HOLDING 160 PAGE REPORT THAT I'VE GIVEN TO THE CITY AUDITOR'S OFFICE WITH A REQUEST FOR AN AUDIT OF SURVEY NUMBER SIX OF THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN.

TODAY I'D LIKE TO MAKE A SPECIFIC REQUEST OF THE PARKS BOARD, BUT FIRST I'D LIKE TO PROVIDE A CONTEXT FOR MY REQUEST.

A STATISTICALLY VALID SURVEY WAS REQUIRED FOR THE REPORT TITLED OUR PARKS OUR FUTURE, BUT A STATISTICALLY VALID SURVEY WAS NOT REQUIRED FOR THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN.

INSTEAD, PARD USED A WEBSITE CALLED PUBLIC INPUT.COM BY DESIGNING A SURVEY WITH POOR QUESTIONS BY TOLERATING ENTRY OF CORRUPTED DATA BY PARTICIPANTS DURING THE PROCESS.

AND IN THE END, BY DEMONSTRATING AN UNWILLINGNESS TO REPORT THE STRONGLY NEGATIVE RESPONSES MADE.

BY SURVEY NUMBER SIX, PARTICIPANTS PARD AND THE PLANNERS DELIVERED A VISION PLAN THAT WAS DRAMATICALLY OUT OF STEP WITH THE WISHES OF THE PUBLIC, A PROFESSIONAL AUDIT, AND HOPEFULLY A RESULTING INTERNAL CORRECTION OF HOW PARD AND THE PLANNERS PERFORM AND REPORT COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT IS NECESSARY TO RESTORE THE TRUST OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND SPECIFICALLY TO RESTORE THE TRUST OF THE PARTICIPANTS OF SURVEY NUMBER SIX, WHO GAVE THEIR ENERGY AND TIME IN A PROCESS THAT PROVED FUTILE.

THE AUDIT AND FINANCE COMMITTEE WILL BE MEETING ON SEPTEMBER 27TH, AND BY NOVEMBER OR DECEMBER THEY WILL HAVE CREATED THE AUDIT PROJECT LIST FOR 2024.

I'M HERE TODAY TO ASK YOU TO DRAFT A RECOMMENDATION TO COUNCIL THAT AN AUDIT OF THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN SURVEY NUMBER SIX, BE ACCEPTED AS A CITY PROJECT BY THE CITY AUDITOR'S OFFICE IN 2024.

AND I RECOMMEND THAT IN THE FUTURE WITH A PROJECT OF THIS SIZE, SCOPE, AND COST TO THE TAXPAYERS, THAT A STATISTICALLY VALID SURVEY SHOULD BE ESSENTIAL WHEN COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT IS A COMPONENT OF THE CONTRACT.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

OKAY.

OUR NEXT SPEAKER WILL BE LIZ HUNTLEY, FOLLOWED BY ANDREA HILL.

WHATEVER YOU.

HELLO TO THE PARD BOARD AND PARD STAFF.

I'M LIZ HUNTLEY AND I'M THE PRESIDENT OF THE AUSTIN ROWING CLUB.

PREVIOUSLY WE'VE INTRODUCED FACILITIES DIRECTOR PAUL BLOOM, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR LIZ BARITE, DIRECTOR OF OUTREACH, JIM RUDDY AND SENIOR KAYAK OPERATIONS MANAGER, AUBREY RUDDER.

IN ADDITION TO KEVIN REIS, I WANTED TO TELL YOU A BIT ABOUT A R C FOR OUR NEWER BOARD MEMBERS AS WE ARE A PART VENDOR AND PARTNER AND WE BRING A UNIQUE AND HEALTHY EXPERIENCE TO THE AUSTIN COMMUNITY.

THIS IS THE 43RD YEAR OF THE AUSTIN ROWING CLUB ON LADY BIRD LAKE.

WE CURRENTLY HAVE THE MANAGEMENT CONTRACT FOR THE CITY OF AUSTIN, BUILDING THE WALLER CREEK BOATHOUSE.

WE HAVE OPERATED THE BUILDING UH MANAGEMENT CONTRACT IN GOOD FAITH FOR THE LAST

[00:05:01]

11 YEARS WITH TWO AND A HALF YEARS REMAINING ON THE CONTRACT.

ALTHOUGH THE BLUE LINE RAIL IS SLATED TO COME THROUGH THE CITY BUILDING A RESOLUTION SIGNED BY CITY COUNCIL IN 2022 DIRECTS THE CITY MANAGER TO WORK WITH A R C AND MOVE OUR OPERATIONS DOWN RIVER.

A R C OFFERS ROWING LESSONS TO ALL THAT WOULD LIKE TO TRY OUT THE SPORT OF ROWING.

WE'RE A WONDERFULLY DIVERSE GROUP OF AUSTINITES AND WE VOLUNTEER AND SHARE OUR LOVE OF ROWING THROUGH THE OUTREACH AND JUNIOR ROWING PROGRAMS. WE HOST TWO US ROWING REGATTA SANCTIONS PER YEAR.

WE ARE A NONPROFIT, OUR KAYAK RENTALS AND VENDOR RE, UH, REVENUE DOLLARS, SORRY, SUPPORT OUR OUTREACH AND OUR JUNIORS PROGRAM WITH EQUIPMENT, STAFFING, COACHING AND PROGRAMMING.

IF YOU'RE AN A R C MEMBER, YOU PAY $65 A MONTH.

WE ARE BOARD MANAGED WITH SEVEN FULL-TIMERS AND 50 PART-TIME JUNIOR STAFF AND COACHES.

WE HAVE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR JUNIORS AND ADULTS IN NEED, ALTHOUGH THE WALLER CREEK BOATHOUSE IS LOCATED DOWNTOWN MEMBERS OF A R C LIVE ALL OVER AUSTIN.

AND I WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW WHOM WE HAVE 11 AND VICE CHAIR FLOWERS, DISTRICT SIX AND BOARD MEMBER HAYES, DISTRICT FOUR AND MR. VILLA LOBOS, DISTRICT 13 AND DISTRICT 1 35 AND MS. REEDS 50 AND MS. ZAS 84 AND MS. FRANKLIN'S 36 AND MS. TAYLOR'S 17 AND MS. MERITS AND 15 AND MS. HAMAN'S DISTRICT FOR WHICH I AM ONE.

THESE NUMBERS DON'T INCLUDE 110 JUNIOR ROWERS THAT COME FROM VARIOUS HIGH SCHOOLS ALL OVER AUSTIN TO ROW WITH THE PROGRAM ON THE TOURISM SCENE.

BOTH LOCAL AND TOURISTS ENJOY OUR KAYAK AND S RENTAL CENTER.

THE PERCH CAFE RETRO BOATS A T X.

THEY'RE A PARTICULAR FAVORITE WITH THE DOWNTOWN HOTELS AS A PLACE TO SEND HOTEL VISITORS TO SEE THE LAKE, BOTH AT THE RESTAURANT AND IN THE ALL ELECTRIC 1950S BOATS.

UNFORTUNATELY, WE HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED THIS YEAR DUE TO THE UN UNCONTROLLED FAN WART THAT HAS ACCUMULATED A FLOTILLA OF WEEDS, TRASH, AND LOGS AROUND OUR DOCKS AND THE AREA BETWEEN CONGRESS BRIDGE AND I 35.

IT'S COST US APPROXIMATELY 200,000 IN LOST REVENUE AND IT'S COST Y'ALL 16,000 IN REVENUE.

WE DON'T PAY YOU FOR THAT.

WE APPRECIATE BEING YOUR PARTNER.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND I HAVE A FLYER FOR YOU.

ALL THE PEOPLE ON OUR NEXT SPEAKER IS GONNA BE ANDREA HILL AFTER ANDREA'S GONNA BE TANYA PAYNE.

NO WORRIES.

TAKE YOUR TIME.

THANK YOU.

YOU READY? YEAH.

OKAY.

I'M ANDREA HILL.

I'M A RETIRED ATTORNEY.

I'M A BARTON SPRINGS EMPLOYEE.

WANNA MAKE FOUR REALLY QUICK POINTS, HOPEFULLY IN A POSITIVE WAY 'CAUSE I'VE COME HERE BEFORE AND MADE NEGATIVE POINTS.

NUMBER ONE, THE PECAN TREE HAS PROBABLY HAD THAT DISEASE FOR YEARS AND IT'S STILL THERE AND IT SURVIVED THE FREEZE AND THE DROUGHT AND EVERYTHING ELSE, SO LEAVE IT ALONE.

NUMBER TWO, THE SHUTTLE SERVICE.

THIS IS FOR THE WORKING GROUPS.

THE SHUTTLE SERVICE CURRENTLY MEETS AT ONE TEXAS CENTER.

THEY PUT THE SIGNS UP WHEN YOU FIRST COME INTO THE PARK.

THAT'S TOO LATE.

PEOPLE ARE ALREADY NOT GONNA TURN AROUND AND GO BACK AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE ONE TEXAS CENTER IS ANYWAY.

ALSO, THE SHUTTLE COMES IN THE MAIN ENTRANCE TO BARTON SPRINGS WHERE THERE'S A LOT OF TRAFFIC THAT'S VERY SLOW AND THEY LET PEOPLE OUT AT THE MAIN GATE WHERE THE LINE IS VERY LONG.

IT WOULD WORK BETTER IF THEY WOULD CUT UP AZ MARTIN DRIVE, WHICH IS A QUICK IN AND OUT AND LET PEOPLE OUT AT THE BACK GATE WHERE THE LINE IS NOT AS LONG ON BUSY DAYS.

IT WOULD BE MUCH EASIER AND BETTER FOR THE CUSTOMERS AND THE SHUTTLE DRIVERS.

AND THEY MIGHT ALSO WANNA CONSIDER BARTON CREEK MALL HAS A LOT OF EMPTY SPACES.

IT'D BE REAL EASY TO RUN A SHUTTLE SERVICE UP AND DOWN MOPAC MUCH BETTER THAN THE ONE TEXAS CENTER LOOPING AROUND THINGS.

JUST A SUGGESTION.

MANY OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BESIDES ME.

MARTIN SPRINGS MALL HAS LOTS OF EMPTY PARKING PLACES.

IT'D BE VERY CONVENIENT.

THE OTHER THING I WANNA TALK ABOUT IS, WELL, TWO OTHER THINGS.

THE THIRD ONE IS THE CONCESSION STAND.

APPARENTLY SOMEONE HAS PUT OUT A CONTRACT TO RUN THE CONCESSION STAND.

WE AT THE POOL HAVE TALKED ABOUT, PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS ASKING US IF WE SELL CERTAIN THINGS.

YOU COULD PUT A LITTLE BOOTH IN THE CONCESSION STAND AND YOU COULD SELL ONLY A FEW ITEMS LIKE SUNSCREEN, TOWELS, GOGGLES, THINGS OF THAT NATURE, A BARTON SPRINGS T-SHIRT OF SOME SORT.

YOU'D MAKE A LOT OF MONEY, WHICH YOU COULD PUT BACK INTO POOL MAINTENANCE AND PEOPLE WOULD LOVE TO BUY THAT STUFF.

PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS ASKING IF WE SELL T-SHIRTS.

JUST A SUGGESTION.

SOMEBODY SHOULD LOOK INTO MY LAST ITEM.

IS THE BATHHOUSE REDO IT'S WAY GONNA BE EXPENSIVE AND INCAPACITATE THE POOL AND INFURIATE THE EMPLOYEES

[00:10:01]

FOR MONTHS AND YEARS TO COME? I THINK THERE'S SOME QUESTIONABLE ASPECTS OF THE CONTRACT.

I DON'T KNOW IF THEY FOLLOWED ALL THE CITY CONTRACT RULES BECAUSE ONE CONTRACTOR GOT THE CONTRACT TO REDO DEEP EDDIE.

THEY GOT THE CONTRACT TO DO THE STUDY TO REDO BARTON SPRINGS, AND NOW THEY HAVE THE CONTRACT TO DO BARTON SPRINGS.

YOU CAN SEE THERE MAY BE A CONFLICT OF INTEREST IN SOME OF THIS.

IF THEY DID THE STUDY, IT'S EASIER FOR THEM TO PAD WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE SO THEY CAN MAKE MORE MONEY ON THE ACTUAL CONTRACT.

I WOULD LIKE SOMEBODY TO REALLY SPECIFICALLY LOOK INTO THOSE CONTRACTS AND SEE IF ALL THE CITY CONTRACT RULES WERE FOLLOWED.

THE BATHHOUSE REDO IS VERY EXTENSIVE AND EXPENSIVE.

IT'S GONNA MAKE IT VERY INCONVENIENT FOR THE EMPLOYEES.

ONCE IT'S DONE, IT'S GONNA REQUIRE YOU TO HIRE A LOT MORE EMPLOYEES AND IT'S UNNECESSARY BECAUSE ONE LAST THING, THEY CAN'T EVEN DO REGULAR MAINTENANCE.

SO I HATE TO SEE THAT THOSE SAME PEOPLE ARE GONNA TRY TO REDO THE WHOLE DAMN THING WHEN THEY DON'T NEED TO.

THEY JUST NEED TO DO REGULAR MAINTENANCE AND FIX THE PLUMBING.

THANK YOU.

OUR NEXT SPEAKER'S GONNA BE TANYA PAYNE AFTER TANYA'S GOING TO BE GAIL ROI.

UH, HELLO.

MY NAME IS TANYA PAYNE AND I'M WITH REWILD ZILKER.

UH, WE SENT A LETTER EARLIER TODAY THAT, UH, GAIL'S GOING TO GO OVER MORE THOROUGHLY, BUT, UH, I JUST WANTED TO OFFER THAT ALTHOUGH THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN HAS BEEN SHELVED, WE'D LIKE TO WORK WITH YOU, UH, AND THE PARKS DEPARTMENT TO IMPROVE THE PLAN SO THAT WHEN IT IS BROUGHT UP BY CITY COUNCIL, WE CAN HAVE SOMETHING ALL OF US CAN BE REALLY PROUD OF.

OUR NEXT SPEAKER IS GONNA BE GAIL ROKI.

CAN, CAN I CAN, CAN I HAVE A QUESTION FOR MS. PAYNE? YES.

AND, UH, YOU AND I HAVE HAD PRIOR INTERACTIONS THROUGH THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN.

UM, SO THIS ISN'T OUR FIRST TIME.

OH, THIS IS OUR FIRST TIME HAVING A BACK AND FORTH, RIGHT? YES.

SO WHAT IS IT, WHAT IS IT THAT YOU, WHAT IS IT THAT YOU ARE ULTIMATELY WANTING TO SEE HAPPEN WITH ZILKER? AND I MEAN THAT, LIKE, I'M NOT ASKING FOR SPECIFICS, I'M ASKING MORE FOR LIKE, WHAT IS IT THAT REWILD WANTS TO, TO SEE HAPPEN? WELL, WE HAD THAT DOCUMENT WITH THE CONSENSUS ITEMS, BUT I WOULD SAY OVERALL THE VISION THAT WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE, AND I, I DON'T KNOW IF I'M THE PERFECT, PERFECT REPRESENTATIVE REPRESENTATIVE, BUT GENERALLY WHAT WE'D LIKE TO SEE IS A PARK FOCUSED ON RECREATION AND, UH, CLIMATE AND ENVIRONMENT AND, UH, TAKING, BEING A GOOD STEWARD TO THESE VERY PRECIOUS NATURAL RESOURCES.

COULD ACCESSIBILITY BE PART OF THAT? YES, ABSOLUTELY.

YES, ABSOLUTELY.

OKAY.

UM, I KNOW THAT MOVING FORWARD, UH, DID YOU SEE THE EMAIL FROM, OR THE, UH, NOTIFICATION FROM MAYOR WATSON ABOUT THERE BEING LIKE A COOLING OFF PERIOD AND THAT HIM WANTING TO REVISIT? DID YOU SEE THAT? YES, I DID.

OKAY.

UM, DO YOU BELIEVE THAT MOVING FORWARD WHEN, WHEN, WHENEVER IT'S DEEMED APPROPRIATE AND WHENEVER THERE'S SOME PUZZLE PIECES BEING PUT PAT TOGETHER, NOTHING NEFARIOUS, JUST TRYING TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERYONE'S ALIGNMENT.

AND WOULD, WOULD YOU OR OTHER PEOPLE FROM THE REWILD GROUP BE WILLING TO MEET WITH SOME OF THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO WERE PROPONENTS OF THE PLAN TO TRY TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING THAT, UH, ISN'T NECESSARILY A THIS IS WHAT HA NEEDS TO HAPPEN AT ZILKER, BUT MORE OF A, A VALUE SET OF WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN WITH ZILKER? UH, WE WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO DO THAT.

OKAY.

WOULD YOU ALSO BE INTERESTED IN, UH, HELPING, UH, OUT OTHER PARKS, UH, METROPOLITAN PARKS GET THE RESOURCES THAT THEY NEED IN ORDER TO, UH, BECOME GEMS AS WELL OF THE CITY? ABSOLUTELY.

THAT IS SOMETHING THAT OUR WIDER NETWORK IS VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT.

UH, WE WEIGHED IN ON PALM PARK AND OUR PEOPLE ARE VERY EXCITED ABOUT BEING INVOLVED IN PARKS THROUGHOUT THE CITY.

YOU KNOW, SINCE, UH, PART OF ONE OF THE GIFTS OF THIS PROCESS HAS BEEN IS PEOPLE HAVE REALLY REALIZED HOW IMPORTANT THEIR PARKS ARE AND WHAT IT IS THEY WANT AND NEED THEM TO BE IN THEIR LIVES.

OKAY.

I'M GLAD TO HEAR THAT.

'CAUSE ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I LOOK FORWARD TO AND WAS WANTING TO MAKE PART OF MY TERM, BUT ZILKER PARK BECAME THE FIRST THING THAT I HAD TO HANDLE AT MY FIRST BOARD MEETING WAS I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO BUILD CONSENSUS PARTNERSHIPS.

I LIKE TO BUILD BRIDGES.

UM, SO I HOPE THAT MOVING FORWARD, UM, THE BOARD AS EITHER AS, AS INDIVIDUALS BUT AS A WHOLE, ARE ABLE TO WORK WITH

[00:15:01]

THE COMMUNITY AND WITH DIFFERENT ORGANIZATIONS AND DIFFERENT ASSOCIATIONS AND GROUPS IN ORDER TO COME UP WITH PLANS AND VALUE SETS THAT, UM, NOT ONLY UPLIFT DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE CITY, BUT CAN MAKE EVERYONE VERY PROUD THAT THEY LIVE IN AUSTIN.

SO I APPRECIATE ME TOO.

I APPRECIATE YOUR TIME.

THANK YOU.

YEAH.

AND THANK YOU.

OUR NEXT SPEAKER IS GAIL ROTH, FOLLOWED BY MORGAN WITT.

GOOD EVENING.

MY NAME IS GAIL ROADIE.

UM, I REPRESENT, I ALSO REPRESENT REW ZILKER.

UH, WE'VE PREPARED A LETTER, UH, WHICH WE'VE PROVIDED TO YOU, AND I WANT TO SUMMARIZE THAT LETTER HERE TONIGHT.

UM, REWAL ZILKER IS GRATEFUL THAT MAYOR WATSON AND THE CITY MANAGER SHELVED THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN.

WE WILL SOON BE ISSUING OUR REFLECTIONS ON THE PROCESS AND OUR THOUGHTS ON A MORE UNIFIED PATH FORWARD.

WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO A RESET AND HOPE YOU ARE TOO.

IN THE MEANTIME, THERE ARE CERTAIN FACTUAL ELEMENTS OF THE PLAN THAT WERE NEVER RESOLVED.

AND IF ANY PARTS OF THE PLAN GO FORWARD, WE FEEL LIKE WE NEED TO, UH, CORRECT THOSE FACTUAL ERRORS.

UM, SO A FEW OF THOSE ISSUES THAT NEED TO BE CLARIFIED OR IN SOME CASES LIGHTED IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD PRODUCTIVELY ARE THE FOLLOWING.

THE AUSTIN, THE AUSTIN COMMUNITY NEEDS TO SEE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SURVEY DATA THAT WAS COLLECTED, AND I THINK DIANA EXPLORED THAT IN YOUR FIRST SPEAKER, UH, EXPLORED THAT IN MORE DETAIL.

UH, WE ALSO NEED TO SEE AN ACCURATE COUNT OF THE NUMBER OF LARGE TREES IN THE PARK, WHICH HAS IMPLICATIONS FOR THE NUMBER OF PROTECTED TREES THAT MAY BE AT RISK UNDER ANY, UH, CONSTRUCTION SCENARIO.

WE ALSO NEED TO SEE AN ACCURATE ESTIMATE OF IMPERVIOUS COVER.

WE ALSO NEED TO SEE AN ACCURATE ESTIMATE OF CARBON SEQUESTRATION.

AND WE WOULD ALSO LIKE THE CITY TO RELEASE TO THE PUBLIC THE TECHNICAL DRAWINGS THAT WERE EXCHANGED WITH A C L C THREE TICKETMASTER LIVE NATION.

WE'D ALSO LIKE TO SEE THE CITY RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC.

ANY TRANSCRIPTS, MEETINGS, NOTES OR VIDEOS FROM THE FIVE MEETINGS WITH A C L, WE ARE ASKING YOU AS PARKS BOARD COMMISSIONERS WHO REVIEWED AND VOTED ON THE PLAN TO WORK WITH PARD MANAGEMENT CITY STAFF AND THE CITY MANAGER'S OFFICE TO PROVIDE A MEMO SUMMARIZING THE FACTUAL ANSWERS TO THESE CORE QUESTIONS AND PROVIDING THE INFORMATION THAT HAS BEEN PAID FOR BY PUBLIC TAX DOLLARS.

AS YOU MAY ALREADY KNOW, WE HAVE DONE OUR OWN ANALYSES ON SOME OF THESE ISSUES, AND WE WOULD BE HAPPY TO RESEND THEM TO YOU.

A FORMAL RESPONSE TO THESE ISSUES WILL ESTABLISH A CREDIBLE FOUNDATION OF INFORMATION THAT IS A, THAT IS A PREREQ PREREQUISITE TO RESTORING THE TRUST NEEDED FOR MOVING FORWARD IN A HEALTHY DIALOGUE.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SERVICE AND YOUR CONSIDERATION, AND I'M ALSO FREE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS, BUT I, I THINK, UM, YOU'VE ASKED SOME REALLY GOOD ONES AND I APPRECIATE THOSE QUESTIONS.

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.

OUR NEXT SPEAKER IS MORGAN WITT, FOLLOWED BY ROY WHALEY.

HELLO, UH, AS THIS IS THE PARKS BOARD, UH, THE CITY OF AUSTIN HAS PARKS WHICH PROVIDE SAFE GREEN PLACES THAT PEOPLE CAN GO FOR FREE.

AND THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BE PROMOTING.

THE IDEA THAT YOU SHOULD BE PROMOTING CONCRETE PLACES WHERE PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY TO GO IS EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING.

THAT BEING SAID, I THINK WHEN THE VISION PLAN CAME TO YOU, I'M A LITTLE SURPRISED YOU DIDN'T STOP IT RIGHT THEN AND THERE WHEN YOU HEARD SIX HOURS OF PUBLIC TESTIMONY OF WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT AND THEN SEVEN OF YOU WENT AHEAD AND VOTED FOR IT.

I THINK YOU MIGHT BE ON THE WRONG BOARD.

AND IF YOU CONTINUE SERVING, I WANNA KNOW IN WHAT WAY YOU CAN DO ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE FOR THE PEOPLE, OR DO WE JUST HAVE TO WATCHDOG ON YOU FOR THE REST OF THE TERM UNTIL WE GET PEOPLE WHO ARE SUPPORTING PARKS? THAT'S IT.

OUR NEXT SPEAKER IS ROY WHALEY, FOLLOWED BY SCOTT COBB.

HOWDY, Y'ALL.

MY NAME IS ROY WHALEY.

I AM THE CONSERVATION CHAIR FOR SIERRA CLUB AUSTIN REGIONAL GROUP.

SIERRA CLUB, OF COURSE, IS THE OLDEST ENVIRONMENTAL ORGANIZATION IN AMERICA.

UM, I'D PLANNED ON COMING DOWN HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF CITIZEN

[00:20:01]

INPUT AND THE THREE MINUTES THAT CITIZENS HAVE TRADITIONALLY GOTTEN, AND I STILL BELIEVE THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT.

UM, BUT I DO WANNA FOLLOW UP ON SOME OF THE OTHER, UM, REWILD FOLKS HAVE SAID.

SIERRA CLUB IS A PART OF THAT COALITION, AND WE'RE VERY HAPPY TO BE A PART OF THAT COALITION.

UM, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT HAS BEEN VERY IMPORTANT TO SIERRA CLUB IS THE AIR QUALITY ASPECTS OF IT.

REWILDING WILL CREATE CARBON SEQUESTRATION, WHICH WE NEED ALSO TO GET RID OF THE, THE PLANS FOR PARKING GARAGES, GARAGES OF THEMSELVES, SUBTERRANEAN ESPECIALLY, BUT THAT WE NEED TO MOVE INTO THE FUTURE THAT IS TRANSIT AND THAT WE HAVE OFFSITE PARKING.

AND THEN WE HAVE A ROBUST SHUTTLE SYSTEM THAT MOVES PEOPLE TO THE PARK PEOPLE AND THEIR EQUIPMENT, THEIR CHILDREN, A SEPARATE SHUTTLE FOR DOGS AND, AND THEIR HUMANS THAT THEY WANT TO TAKE TO THE PARK.

AND THEN AN INTERNAL SHUTTLE THAT HELPS MOVE PEOPLE WITHIN THE PARK ITSELF.

I KNOW THAT WE HAVE THE SHUTTLE ACTIVE AGAIN THIS YEAR, AND I'M APPRECIATIVE OF THAT.

BUT ONCE AGAIN, IT HAS NOT WORKED OUT WELL BECAUSE WE HAVE TO HAVE, IN ORDER TO GET PEOPLE TO USE IT, IT HAS TO BE RUN ON A REGULAR BASIS AND PREFERABLY FROM MULTIPLE, UH, LOCATIONS.

AND THAT'S WHAT WE NEED TO DO THAT CONTRIBUTES TO AIR QUALITY AND, AND TAKING AWAY ALL OF THOSE FUMES FROM ALL THE PEOPLE JUST CIRCLING AROUND AND AROUND, LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO PARK, AS WELL AS THE REWILDING, WHICH WILL SEQUESTER THE CARBON.

SO THESE ARE THE THINGS WE'RE ASKING FOR.

UH, A BETTER TRANSIT SYSTEM, NO PARKING GARAGES.

AND TO LOOK AT THE $30 MILLION, WHICH IS A LOW BALL FOR THE LAND BRIDGE.

WE NEED THAT IN ALL OF OUR PARKS IN AUSTIN.

SIERRA CLUB IS NOT THE CLUB FOR BARTON SPRINGS OR ZILKER PARK.

WE ARE FOR ALL OF AUSTIN AND ALL OF OUR PARKS SHOULD BE TREATED WITH AS MUCH LOVE AND RESPECT AS ZILKER.

ZILKER IS UNIQUE BECAUSE IT HAS BARTON SPRINGS, AND THAT'S WONDERFUL, AND THAT IS A, AN ASSET AND A JEWEL.

WE ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO PROTECT.

BUT NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO GO TO ZILKER.

SOME PEOPLE WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO TO THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD PARKS.

EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO COME TO ZILKER.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO COME TO ZILKER, BUT SIERRA CLUB TRULY BELIEVES WE HAVE TO WORK ON FUNDING FOR OUR ENTIRE PARK SYSTEM FOR OUR ENTIRE C CITIZEN BODY OF AUSTIN.

THANK YOU.

OUR LAST SPEAKER'S GONNA BE SCOTT COBB.

THANK YOU.

AND MR. DOBE, DID YOU NOTE THAT, UM, A BOARD MEMBER NICOLE MERRITT, WAS ON AT 6 0 6? I DID.

THANK YOU.

OKAY.

ALL RIGHT.

THANK YOU.

GOOD EVENING PARKS BOARD MEMBERS.

MY NAME IS SCOTT CO.

UM, TODAY I SUBMITTED A NOMINATION FORM TO RENAME OR TO ACTUALLY JUST NAME BARTON SPRINGS BATHHOUSE AFTER JOAN MEANS CABELA.

AND I PAID THE $365 APPLICATION FEE.

UM, MY GOAL FOR THE ENTIRE BARTON SPRINGS ONE TIME IN THE FUTURE IS TO REMOVE THE NAME WILLIAM BARTON FROM THE ENTIRE BARTON SPRINGS AND RENAME IT IN CONSULTATION WITH THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLE WHO OCCUPIED THE LAND FOR THOUSANDS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE HE EVER CAME ALONG WITH HIS SLAVE HOLDING MENTALITY.

BUT, UH, AS FAR AS THE BATHHOUSE, I THINK IT'S APPROPRIATE TO NAME IT FOR JOAN MEANS CABBEL, WHICH I FIRST, UH, SUGGESTED IN 2021 SHORTLY AFTER HER DEATH.

SO NAMING, NAMING IT AFTER JOAN MEANS KABEL, UH, WOULD BE A TRIBUTE THAT ISN'T CONFINED TO THE PAST.

IT'S AN INVESTMENT IN THE FUTURE BY HONORING JOAN.

IN THIS WAY, WE'RE MAKING A COMMITMENT TO A FUTURE THAT MIRRORS HER IDEALS OF EQUALITY AND INCLUSIVITY.

JUST AS HER BRAVERY IGNITED A MOVEMENT THAT OPEN BARTON SPRINGS FOR EVERYONE, THIS ACT TO REMAIN RENAMED THE BATHHOUSE BECOMES A CONSTANT REMINDER THAT PROGRESS THAT IS ISN'T STATIC.

IT EVOLVES, IT ADAPTS AND THRIVES EVERY CHILD WALKING THROUGH THE DOORS TO BARTON SPRINGS POOL.

EVERY FAMILY GATHERING BY THE POOLSIDE WILL BE TOUCHED BY JOAN'S SPIRIT GUIDING US TOWARDS A BRIGHTER, MORE JUST FUTURE.

FOR AUSTIN, JOAN MEANS CABELA'S ACTIONS, OR THE SEEDS THAT CONTINUE TO GERMINATE AND SHAPE AUSTIN'S FUTURE REMA RENAMING THE BATHHOUSE AFTER HER.

IS IT MERELY A CELEBRATION OF HER COURAGE? IT'S

[00:25:01]

A DECLARATION OF OUR COLLECTIVE DEDICATION TO A MORE INCLUSIVE, ACCESSIBLE TOMORROW.

HER STORY AND THE BATHHOUSES RENAMING INTERSECT TO CRAFT A NARRATIVE THAT EXTENDS BEYOND HER HISTORY.

A NARRATIVE OF PROGRESS, INCLUSIVITY, AND THE TRANSFORMATIVE POWER OF A YOUNG GIRL'S ACTIONS TO WEAVE A TAPESTRY OF COMMUNITY THROUGH THE DOORS OF THE BATHHOUSE.

A GATEWAY OF INCLUSIVITY STANDS OPEN A TESTAMENT THAT ACCESSIBILITY IS NOT JUST A CONCEPT, IT'S AN EMBODIMENT OF IDEALS.

WHERE ONCE THE BATHHOUSE SYMBOLIZE EXCLUSION AND NOW SYMBOLIZES ACCESSIBILITY, WELCOMING EVERYONE RESPECTIVE OF THEIR BACKGROUND, JOAN'S LEGACY BECOMES INTERTWINED WITH ESSENCE OF THE PLACE THAT BECKONS FORTH A NEW ERA WHERE THE BARRIERS OF THE PAST GIVE WAY TO THE POSSIBILITIES OF THE PRESENT AND THE FUTURE.

AS THE DOORS SWING OPEN, THEY SWING OPEN TO ALL A PLACE WHERE EQUITY AND UNITY THRIVE.

JOAN'S LEGACY EXTENDS BEYOND THE PRESENT CASTING ITS INFLUENCE ON TOMORROW'S YET TO UNFOLD.

HERE, INDIVIDUALS FROM DIVERSE WALKS OF LIFE WILL CONVENE, CONNECT, AND SHAPE A FUTURE ROOTED IN ACCESS, ACCEPTANCE, AND SHARED HUMANITY.

JOAN MEANS CABELA'S STORY WILL CONTINUE TO REMIND US THAT ONE PERSON'S UNWAVERING COURAGE, AN ABILITY TO HARNESS THE POWER OF HER COMMUNITY, HAS THE POWER TO IGNITE CHANGE THAT REVERBERATES THROUGH TIME INSPIRING US TO STAND UP FOR JUSTICE AND FORGE A BETTER WORLD FOR ALL.

THANK YOU.

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE PRESENT THAT WOULD LIKE TO ADDRESS THE PARKS BOARD THAT HAS NOT ALREADY DONE? SO WE HAVE ONE MORE SPEAKER FOR GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT.

SPEAKER, WOULD YOU SAY YOUR NAME AT THE BEGINNING AND THEN SEE ME? HI, I'M TERRY ADAMS. UM, I WOULD LIKE TO SAY IT WAS NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN, BUT I CAN'T SAY THAT IN GOOD CONSCIENCE RIGHT NOW.

A FEW MEETINGS BACK, I WATCHED THE CHAIR OF THE PARKS BOARD MANEUVER TO RECEIVE THAT HONOR.

AND THEN THE NEXT MEETING I WATCHED YOU COMPLETELY IGNORE.

HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, OVER A HUNDRED SPEAKERS SHOWED UP TO EXPRESS THEIR OPPOSITION TO THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN.

YOU SUBSTITUTED YOUR JUDGMENT FOR THE COMMUNITY.

YOU CANNOT DO THAT AND SIT ON A BOARD THAT REPRESENTS THE COMMUNITY.

I WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND THAT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE REQUIRES ACCOUNTABILITY.

THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE PARKS BOARD, NOT THE THREE THAT VOTED NO, BUT THE OTHER MEMBERS, YOU DID NOT LOOK AT THE COMMUNITY WHEN YOU VOTED, YOU LOOKED AT THE CHAIR.

SO I WANT TO ENCOURAGE ALL OF YOU WHO VOTED YES, PLEASE EXERCISE INDEPENDENT THOUGHT, PLEASE EXERCISE YOUR INDEPENDENT WILL.

DON'T BE ONE OF THE KIDS THAT JUMPS OFF THE CLIFF WITH ALL THEIR FRIENDS.

AND MR. VILLALOBOS, IF YOU ARE GOING TO OCCUPY THIS SEAT FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS, YOU ARE GOING TO NEED TO ACKNOWLEDGE IF YOU HAVE BEEN ACTIVATED.

BECAUSE IF YOU ARE A KIND OF ACTIVIST, THAT NEEDS TO BE TRANSPARENTLY STATED.

THANK YOU.

CAN YOU, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT YOU MEANT BY THAT LAST PART? WHAT? CAN YOU, CAN YOU, CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEANT BY THAT LAST PART? SURE.

UM, SO I'M A KIND OF ACTIVIST, I WANT PUBLIC PARKS IN PUBLIC HANDS.

YOU HAVE BEEN REPEATING THE TALKING POINTS OF THE NONPROFITS THAT WANT TO CONTROL AREAS OF OUR PUBLIC PARKS.

SO IF YOU ARE THE KIND OF PARKS ACTIVISTS THAT WANT TO TRANSFER SOME PARTS OF OUR PARKS TO NONPROFIT CONTROL, THEN I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO BE TRANSPARENT ABOUT THAT INSTEAD OF REPEATING, YOU KNOW, JUST PHRASES, BUZZ WORDS, TALKING POINTS.

OKAY.

DO YOU KNOW WHY I GOT ON THE PARKS BOARD? DO I KNOW WHY YOU GOT ON THE PARKS BOARD? I'M ASSUMING THAT'S NOT A TRICK QUESTION.

THAT'S JUST A SIMPLE YES OR NO.

THAT HOW WOULD I KNOW THAT? SO YOU DON'T, LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY I GOT ON THE PARKS BOARD.

I GOT ON THE PARKS BOARD BECAUSE THERE WAS A NEED IN MY COMMUNITY.

MY COMMUNITY HAS BEEN HISTORICALLY UNDERREPRESENTED AS IT PERTAINS TO ACCESS TO OPEN SPACES AND SPECIFICALLY AS IT PERTAINS TO PRESTIGIOUS OPEN SPACES THAT HAPPEN TO BE WEST OF 35.

SO I CAME ON THE

[00:30:01]

PARKS BOARD IN ORDER TO INCREASE, UH, ACCESS AND TO HAVE REPRESENTATION FROM MY COMMUNITY.

SO THAT IS THE REASON WHY I GOT ON THE PARKS BOARD.

I DON'T THINK THAT NECESSARILY, UH, YOUR PERCEPTION, UH, OF ME IS ACCURATE.

YOU AND I HAVE NEVER HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE A CONVERSATION ABOUT IT.

BUT IF WE DO EVER HAVE THE CONVERSATION, IF WE EVER DO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE THAT CONVERSATION, I WILL GLADLY EXPOUND ON THOSE, ON, ON THAT.

DOES THAT, DOES, DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS AND YOU HAVE SHOWN BY YOUR ACTIONS THAT YOU ARE NOT REPRESENTING THE COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE.

AND WHEN YOU SAY THE COMMUNITY, WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT? I MEAN, THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SHOWN UP AND HAVE SPOKEN PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER AUSTIN, NOT JUST THE WEST SIDE.

I WAS THERE SO I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

I THINK WE CAN HAVE A DEEPER DISCUSSION THAT IS PRODUCTIVE ABOUT THE REPRESENTATION THAT I'M LOOKING FOR.

AND THE, UH, WAY TO MOVE FORWARD ON THIS IS, I DON'T NECESSARILY THINK THAT YOU AND I ARE SO, UH, AFAR APART.

UM, BUT I DO THINK THAT THERE IS A WAY TO PROGRESS FORWARD, UM, AS IT PERTAINS TO HOW TO VAST BE STEWARDS OF PARKS.

I HOPE SO.

MR. ADAM, CAN WE SHIFT THIS OUT? I WONDER IF I COULD ADD ONE SENTENCE.

SURE.

OKAY.

IN LIGHT OF THE ZILKER VISION PLAN AND ALL THAT BRUHAHA, AND IN LIGHT OF HOW MUCH IT COST THE CITY IN SPECIAL PERKS, WAIVING OF FEES AND USE OF PARKS EMPLOYEES, I WISH SOMEONE WOULD SERIOUSLY CONSIDER MOVING A C L AND SOUTH BY OUT OF THE PARK.

THEY DON'T BELONG THERE.

THEY BELONG IN A CONCERT VENUE AWAY FROM THE PARK.

'CAUSE IT CAUSES MULTIPLE PROBLEMS FOR PEOPLE USING THE PARK AND PEOPLE DRIVING THROUGH IT TIES UP THAT WHOLE PART OF TOWN FOR WEEKS ON END.

AND I REALLY WOULD LIKE FOR SOMEONE TO CONSIDER NOT RENEWING THE CONTRACT FOR A C L AND SOUTH BY HAVING THEM MOVE TO C THREE OR THE Q TWO SOCCER STADIUM WOULD REALLY IMPROVE THE PARKS TREMENDOUSLY.

THANK YOU.

UM, IS THAT IT, MR. BECK? THAT'S IT FOR GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT.

OKAY.

WE'RE GOING TO GO

[APPROVAL OF MINUTES]

TO APPROVAL OF MINUTES.

UM, EVERYONE HAS A COPY OF THE MINUTES.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? I DON'T, IT'S NOT A SUGGESTION.

JUST A, A TYPO ON 11 UNDER WORKING GROUP UPDATES.

UM, A T ADDED TO BARTON.

WHAT WAS IT? IT'S, UM, EXCUSE ME.

I DO, I WILL SAY THAT I KNOW THAT WE HAVE MEMBERS OF THE AUDIENCE THAT ARE MOVING, THAT ARE LEAVING.

I'M GONNA ASK THAT THE I'M I WORKING GROUP UPDATES BE TAKEN UP NEXT.

'CAUSE I DO THINK IT'S GONNA TOUCH ON A LOT OF THE THINGS THAT THEY MENTIONED AND TALKED ABOUT.

CHAIR.

THIS IS, THIS IS, UM, HOLLY REED.

UH, I WAS GOING TO ALSO SAY TO THE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC WHO SPOKE ABOUT THE SHUTTLE AND TRANSPORTATION IN ZIPPER PARK, UM, THAT WE DO HAVE A SHUTTLE WORKING GROUP AND WOULD CERTAINLY APPRECIATE THEIR INPUT AND ENCOURAGE THEM TO CONTACT US.

UM, BOARD MEMBER HAGMAN, CHAIR VILLALOBOS, MYSELF AND BOARD MEMBER BACKER ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON THE ZILKER PARK SHUTTLE WORKING GROUP.

YEAH.

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.

YEAH, I JUST WANNA MAKE THAT COMMENT.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY OTHER, UH, CHANGES, UH, TO THE JULY FOUR 24TH 2023 AGENDA? UH, MEETING MEETING MINUTES IF I DON'T HEAR ANY.

DOES ANYONE WANNA MAKE A, DOES SOMEONE WANNA MAKE A MOTION TO APPROVE THE JULY, 2024 JULY 24TH, 2023 MEETING MINUTES?

[00:35:01]

UH, YES.

I'LL MAKE A MOTION TO APPROVE.

THERE'S A MOTION FROM BOARD MEMBER BECKER.

IS THERE A SECOND? ALL SET? THERE'S A SECOND FROM, UH, BOARD MEMBER BAAN.

ALL THOSE IN FAVOR? PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND.

PASS THIS UNANIMOUSLY, UH, BOARD MEMBERS AT THIS TIME WITHOUT ANY, UM, WELL, WE HAVE TO DO AGENDA SPECIFIC ITEMS FIRST, SPECIFIC AGENDA, SPECIFIC COMMUNICATION FIRST.

I DON'T BELIEVE WE HAVE ANY, UH, AGENDA SPECIFIC PUBLIC COMMENT FOR THIS MEETING.

OKAY.

SO BOARD MEMBERS WITHOUT ANY OBJECTION.

I'M GONNA MOVE TO WORKING GROUP UPDATES.

UH, AGENDA ITEM SIX THROUGH 11.

IS THERE ANYONE OPPOSED? SEEING NONE.

OKAY, WE'RE GONNA GO WITH THE FIRST AGENDA ITEM,

[6. Update from South Central Waterfront Advisory Board. (Bazan)]

WHICH IS A SIX UPDATE FROM SOUTH CENTRAL WATERFRONT ADVISORY BOARD.

BOARD MEMBER BAAN.

THANK YOU.

UM, AT THAT MEETING, WE RECEIVED A BRIEFING ON PROJECT CONNECT, UM, BY PETER MULLEN.

AND THEN, UM, WE SPENT THE, THE REST OF THE TIME GETTING UPDATES FROM THE WORKING GROUPS.

AND THAT ESSENTIALLY COVERS THE MEETING.

THANK YOU.

UH,

[7. Update from Downtown Commission. (Franklin)]

AGENDA ITEM NUMBER SEVEN, UPDATE FROM DOWNTOWN COMMISSION BOARD MEMBER FRANKLIN.

THIS MONTH'S MEETING WAS, UH, CANCELED AND THEY'LL BE PICKING UP IN SEPTEMBER DUE TO A TRUNCATED AGENDA FOR AUGUST.

THANK YOU FOR THAT UPDATE.

UH,

[8. Update from Joint Sustainability Committee. (Bazan, Becker)]

AGENDA ITEM NUMBER EIGHT, UPDATE FROM JOINT SUSTAINABILITY COMMITTEE, EITHER BOARD MEMBER BAAN OR BOARD MEMBER BECKER.

UM, SO WE DISCUSSED, UH, THE WORKING GROUP DRAFTS ON PRIORITY POLICY AND, UM, PROGRAM RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE AUSTIN CLIMATE EQUITY PLAN IMPLEMENTATION.

AND THEN, UH, PASSED A RECOMMENDATION TO COUNCIL ON COMPOSTING AND RECYCLING SERVICES AT MULTIFAMILY RESIDENTIAL PROPERTIES.

THANK YOU.

ALRIGHT.

[9. Update from Zilker Park Vision Plan Working Group. (Taylor)]

AND FOR, UH, NUMBER NINE, UPDATE FROM ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN WORKING GROUP BOARD MEMBER TAYLOR ISN'T HERE.

UM, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT, UH, I WAS LOOKING AT THE BYLAWS AND GIVEN THE UPDATES THAT HAVE HAPPENED SINCE MAYBE OUR LAST BOARD MEETING, I DON'T REMEMBER SINCE WHEN EVERYTHING'S A JUMBLE NOW, UM, I DON'T THINK THERE'S NECESSARILY A NECESSITY FOR A ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN WORKING GROUP ANYMORE.

UM, I DO THINK THAT MOVING FORWARD, THE THERE DOES NEED TO BE A WORKING GROUP CREATED TO TACKLE Z ZILKER PARK AND OTHER METROPOLITAN PARKS.

HOWEVER, I THINK IN ITS CURRENT ITERATION, THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN WORKING GROUP IS DEFUNCT.

AND I DO BELIEVE THAT BY JUST FUNCTION OF THE BYLAWS, UM, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN, UM, TERMINATED AT THE APRIL MEETING.

DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? WHAT I'M SAYING IS, THIS IS TWO STEPS.

ONE, THE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN WORKING GROUP, AS LISTED IN NUMBER NINE, SHOULD NO LONGER EXIST.

BUT INSTEAD, WE SHOULD NOW BE CREATING A NEW WORKING GROUP TO EVALUATE WHAT ZILKER PARK LOOKS LIKE.

UM, TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION WHAT PROPONENT OPPONENTS REWILDING, YOU KNOW, UH, PEOPLE WANTED TO SEE IN THIS THING.

SO I'M NOT SAYING WE'RE NOT GONNA, THAT WE'RE STOPPING THE TALK, THAT WE'RE STOPPING THE CONVERSATION ON ZUCKER PARK.

I JUST THINK THAT THE CONVERSATION ON THE VISION PLAN ITSELF, UM, AS IT EXISTED, NEEDS TO STOP GIVEN ALL THE ACTIONS THAT HAVE TAKEN PLACE.

UH, I THINK THE IDEA OF SETTING UP A NEW WORKING GROUP TO EXPLORE THAT IS AN EXCELLENT ONE.

SO, AT THIS TIME, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS ABOUT THAT? OR DID I, I KNOW IT WAS A LITTLE BIT CONFUSING.

IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A LITTLE BIT CONFUSING.

CHAIR.

WHAT WOULD THE NAME OF THIS WORKING GROUP BE CALLED? UM, SO I THINK THAT ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO, UM, I WANTED TO GET IT DONE BY THIS BOARD.

UH, IF I'M LOOKING LIKE I'M LOOKING AT YOU, HOLLY.

SO, , UM, SORRY.

I JUST SOMETIMES, LIKE I FEEL AWKWARD LOOKING AT A SCREEN.

UM, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I WANTED TO DO WAS, UH, COME UP WITH, UH, PARAMETERS, IDEAS OF WHAT THIS NEW WORKING GROUP WOULD TACKLE.

I THINK WORKING GROUPS WORK BETTER WHENEVER THEY HAVE OBJECTIVES THAT THEY HAVE TO ATTAIN.

UM, HOWEVER, I DON'T THINK THAT THAT, UH, I WAS ABLE, I DON'T THINK I WAS NOT ABLE TO DO THAT BY THIS MEETING.

UM, I KNOW THAT SOME OF THE PEOPLE THAT I'VE, WE'VE BEEN IN, I'VE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH INCLUDE, UH, COMMUNITY MEMBERS LIKE ROBIN RATHER.

UM, AND, UH, I THINK THAT BY THE SEPTEMBER BOARD MEETING, MY HOPE IS THAT WE DO HAVE, UH, GUIDELINES, PARAMETERS, UH, IN PLACE IN ORDER TO HELP GUIDE US AS TO WHAT ONE, THE WORKING GROUP IS GONNA BE NAMED.

TWO, WHAT THE OBJECTIVE OF THE WORKING GROUP'S GONNA BE.

UM, AND THREE, KIND OF FIGURING OUT HOW WE MOVE FORWARD, UM, GIVEN EVERYTHING THAT'S HAPPENED, UM, IN THE PAST FEW MONTHS AND WEEKS.

DOES

[00:40:01]

THAT MAKE SENSE? YES, IT DOES.

AND AND I REALLY APPRECIATE US SPEAKER GAIL RHODES.

UM, NEW NARRATIVE THAT SHE BROUGHT FORTH THIS EVENING ABOUT, UH, UH, ZILKER PARK MOVING INTO THE FUTURE.

AND MAYBE WE CAN INCORPORATE SOME OF THOSE IDEAS DEFINITELY AS A WORKING, DEFINITELY.

SO, DOES THAT ALL MAKE SENSE? BOARD MEMBERS? SO AT THIS TIME, I'M GONNA MAKE A MOTION TO DISSOLVE THESE ZILKER PARK VISION PLAN WORKING GROUP.

ALL THOSE IN FAVOR, PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND.

YOU WANT ME TO SECOND IT? OH, SORRY.

IS THERE A SECOND? WHO SAID THAT? OH, JEN.

JULIE HAYES.

FORMER MEMBER HAYES.

OKAY, THERE'S A SECOND.

UH, ALL THOSE IN FAVOR, PLEASE RAISE YOUR HAND.

ALRIGHT, UNANIMOUS.

SO DOES EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS, UH, THE GOAL TOWARDS THE SEPTEMBER MEETING IS TO COME UP WITH A NEW WORKING GROUP AND SET UP PARAMETERS OF WHAT THAT LOOKS LIKE, TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION WHAT ALL MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY HAVE, UH, TOLD US, UM, AND HAVE GIVEN US FEEDBACK ON.

DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? SO NOTHING'S GONNA BE DONE AT THIS NEXT MEETING.

WE'LL TAKE THAT UP AT THE NEXT MEETING.

UM, UPDATE, UH, ANY, UH, AGENDA

[10. Update from Zilker Shuttle Working Group. (Villalobos, Reed, Hugman)]

ITEM NUMBER 10, UPDATE FROM ZILKER SHUTTLE WORKING GROUP, UH, BOARD MEMBER REED? YES.

UM, THANK YOU CHAIR.

I RECEIVED, UH, THE STAFF UPDATE ON CENTRALIZED PARKING SYSTEM RESOLUTION THAT, UH, DIRECTOR MCNEELY HAD TOLD US ABOUT AT THE LAST PARKS BOARD MEETING.

AND I THINK, UM, FOLLOWING ALONG WITH THIS AND MEETING, UH, WITH JASON REDFERN, WHO IS THE PARKING ENTERPRISE MANAGER, UM, WILL BE VERY USEFUL IN COMING UP WITH SOME IDEAS FOR THE SHUTTLE.

ALSO, THE SHUTTLE WORKING GROUP IS HOPEFULLY GOING TO HAVE SCHEDULE SOME MEETINGS WITH CAP METRO AND AUSTIN TRANSPORTATION AND PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

UM, AND I DON'T KNOW IF ANY OF THE OTHERS HAVE ANY UPDATES ON THE SHUTTLE WORKING GROUP.

I'LL JUST ADD THAT, UM, WE'RE NOT QUITE SURE IF THE COUNCIL HAS CONSIDERED THE, UH, RECOMMENDATION THAT WE PASSED AT OUR LAST BOARD MEETING REGARDING THE INTERNAL ZILKER SHUTTLE.

THANK YOU.

DOES ANY OTHER BOARD MEMBER, HAGMAN, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING YOU WANNA ADD OR SHE THAT WE'RE GOOD TO GO ON IT? I THINK WE'RE GOOD FOR NOW.

I'M JUST WAITING TO HEAR IF COUNSEL'S GONNA SPEND THE MONEY ON THOSE SHUTTLES, SO.

ALRIGHT, THANK YOU.

NOW WE'RE GONNA GO TO NUMBER 11.

UPDATE FROM,

[11. Update from Baron Springs Bathhouse Working Group. (Villalobos, Bazan)]

UH, BARTEND SPRINGS, BATHHOUSE WORKING GROUP.

UM, SO BOARD MEMBER BZA AND I ARE ON THAT GROUP.

UM, WE ALSO HAVE RECRUITED, UM, THE PERSON, THE PERSON THAT WAS REALLY EXCITED TO HAVE GOTTEN TO BE PART OF THE WORKING GROUP, UM, IS DR.

ED GO, TED GORDON, UH, WHO WORKS AT UT AS A PROFESSOR.

FOR THOSE BOARD MEMBERS THAT DON'T KNOW, UM, DR.

TED GORDON IS THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FOR THE CONTEXTUALIZATION AND COMMEMORATION INITIATIVE AT UT.

THAT HAPPENS TO BE A WOR A MOUTHFUL.

UM, HE'S ALSO THE, UH, DIRECTOR OF THE AFRICAN DIASPORA STUDY THAT UT AS WELL.

UM, AND HE HAS A LOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH CONTEXTUALIZING HISTORY, PARTICULARLY, UH, AS IT PERTAINS TO RACIAL HISTORY.

UM, SO I'M VERY, VERY EXCITED THAT HE WAS WILLING, UM, AND ABLE TO COME ON BOARD, UH, THIS WORKING GROUP.

AND I THINK THAT'S ONE OF THE GREAT THINGS ABOUT WORKING GROUPS IS, IS THAT WORKING GROUPS AREN'T JUST LIMITED TO BOARD MEMBERS.

WE CAN INCORPORATE MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY, UH, WHO BRING A VERY VALUABLE EXPERTISE, UM, TO A, A, A VAL, A VERY VALUABLE PERSPECTIVE INTO THE FOLD, SO THAT WAY WE CAN, UH, TRY TO ADVANCE SOMETHING AS BEST AS WE CAN.

UM, THE OTHER PERSON THAT I WAS VERY EXCITED TO GET, UH, ON BOARD AND WILLING TO SERVE ON THIS IS, UH, VELVA PRICE.

UM, SHE'S CURRENTLY THE DISTRICT CLERK.

UH, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, SHE'S THE BOARD MEMBER OF K D I.

UM, FOR WHICH OF YOU, IF Y'ALL DON'T KNOW, IT'S, UH, ONE OF, IT'S THE BIGGEST AFRICAN AMERICAN RADIO STATION IN AUSTIN.

UM, BUT SHE HAS JUST A LOT OF COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS, UM, WITH THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY AND WITH THOSE COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE BEEN HISTORICALLY UNDERREPRESENTED.

UM, SO I WAS VERY EXCITED TO GET HER ON BOARD.

UM, LIKE I SAID, BOARD MEMBER , UH, IS ALSO ON IT.

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I, UH, THAT WE'VE DONE IS WE'VE HAD THREE MEETINGS ALREADY ON, ON THIS WORKING GROUP.

UM, AND SOME OF THE NAMES THAT HAVE BEEN FLOATED AROUND, UH, IN REGARDS TO WHO WE SHOULD NAME THE BATHHOUSE AFTER, IS OBVIOUSLY JOAN MEANS COBEL IS ONE OF THEM.

YOU KNOW, HER NAME GOES WITHOUT SAYING ALWAYS IS AT THE FOREFRONT WHENEVER WE'RE TALKING ABOUT BARTON SPRINGS DESEGREGATION.

[00:45:01]

UM, YOU KNOW, THE VALUES THAT WE WANT TO MAKE SURE, UH, WE'RE EM EMBODYING ANY TIME WE TALK ABOUT, UH, INTEGRATION EG.

UH, THE FIGHT AGAINST SEGREGATION.

UM, OTHER NAMES THAT OBVIOUSLY HAVE BEEN THROWN AROUND AS WELL AS WE'VE BEEN LEARNING FROM HISTORIANS, UH, AND PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE HAVE BEEN GARY PEREZ AND SANDRA KIRK AS WELL.

UM, IT'S VERY INTERESTING.

UH, ONE OF THE MOST INTERESTING PERSPECTIVES THAT I THINK DR.

GORDON HAS BROUGHT TO THE TABLE IS IN REGARDS TO NAMING FACILITIES.

UM, AND OBVIOUSLY, YOU KNOW, I'M NOT HERE TO, UH, UH, ONE OF THE, LEMME BACK UP.

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT HE'S, THAT HE'S TALKED ABOUT IS, UM, AND THAT HAVE, I THINK HAS RESONATED WITH ME A LITTLE BIT, WHICH HAS CAUSED ME TO STRUGGLE A LITTLE BIT WITH MAKING A STRONG AND SOUND RECOMMENDATION, IS THAT HE BELIEVES THAT SOMETIMES BY NAMING FACILITIES AFTER A PERSON DEEMPHASIZES THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF OTHERS WHO MAY HAVE NOT BEEN THE MAIN VOICE IN A SYSTEM, BUT WHO THEMSELVES WERE PART OF THAT PUZZLE THAT ULTIMATELY LED TO THE END RESULT.

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T, YOU KNOW, YOU CAN'T COMPLETE A PUZZLE WITH ALL THE PUZZLE PIECES AND EVERYONE, UM, YOU KNOW, EVERY, EVERYONE HAD AN IMPORTANT VOICE.

UM, THE OTHER THING THAT HE, THAT, THAT HE SUGGESTED TO US TO PONDER WAS WHETHER, UH, NAMING A FACILITY AFTER SOMEONE IS, UH, BEST BECAUSE SOMETIMES WE COME RUN INTO SITUATIONS WHERE WE'RE LIKE, OH, LET'S NAME A FACILITY AFTER.

I DON'T, I DON'T, I DON'T KNOW, UH, YOU KNOW, 10 YEARS AGO, YOU KNOW, HARVEY WEINSTEIN WAS THE RAGE, BUT NOW WE KNOW THAT HE'S NOT THE BEST PERSON AND WE PROBABLY REGRET PRAISING HIM AS MUCH AS HE DID.

SO HE, HE BRINGS THAT TO THE FOLD.

UM, SO WE'RE HEARING ABOUT THAT AND WE'RE ALSO HEARING A LOT OF PERSPECTIVES FROM THE INDIGENOUS CULTURES AS WELL.

UM, WHO INHABITED THE AREA, PARTICULARLY THE TONKA WALL, UM, AND THE, IS IT COMANCHE, THE COMANCHE, THE COMANCHE? UM, SO WE'RE HEARING A LOT OF ABOUT THIS, AND ONE OF THE REASONS THAT OBVIOUSLY, UM, I WANNA MAKE SURE THAT THIS WHOLE, THAT I, I, I REALLY WANNA QUALIFY THIS BECAUSE I WANNA SAY, I KNOW THAT MR. COBB, UH, SAID THAT HE SUBMITTED AN APPLICATION, UM, FOR THE BATHHOUSE TO BE NAMED AFTER JOAN MEANS KABEL.

UM, I AM BY NO MEANS SAYING THAT I'M OPPOSED TO THAT, OR I, I THINK THAT'S A BAD IDEA.

UM, I JUST WANTED TO LET THE, IN FACT, I THINK EVERYTHING THAT I'VE LEARNED ABOUT HER MAKES ME ADMIRE HER EVEN MORE.

UM, BUT ONE OF THE THINGS I WANNA MAKE SURE IS, IS THAT I WANT, PART OF WHAT I WANTED TO DO WITH THIS WORKING GROUP IS I WANTED TO HAVE THE DISCUSSION BE LED BY PEOPLE WHO COME FROM THIS COMMUNITY AND WHO OFFER THESE PERSPECTIVES.

INSTEAD OF TELLING THEM THEIR HISTORY, I WANT THEM TO TELL ME THEIR HISTORY AND HOW THEY VIEW IT.

AND THAT'S ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I WANTED TO BRING, UH, PEOPLE FROM THOSE, FROM THOSE GROUPS BE REPRESENTED IN, IN, IN, IN THIS WORKING GROUP.

AND I THINK WE'VE HOPEFULLY ACHIEVED THAT TO SOME EXTENT.

SO I'M NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT THE NEXT STEPS ARE IN REGARDS TO THE WORKING, UH, GROUP.

UM, IN REGARDS TO, YOU KNOW, NOW WE HAVE TO FACTOR IN THIS APPLICATION.

I'M NOT SAYING IT'S A BAD, AGAIN, I WANNA REITERATE IT.

I'M NOT SAYING IT'S A BAD APPLICATION AT ALL.

I'M NOT COMMENTING ON IT AT ALL.

BUT I DO THINK THAT WE'RE ALSO GONNA HAVE TO TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION, UM, TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION, UM, SOME OF THE OTHER NAMES THAT WE HAVE BEEN PROPOSED.

UM, AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN COME TO A CONSENSUS AS TO WHAT IT IS.

'CAUSE THE LAST THING I THINK ANYONE IN THE WORKING GROUP WANTS IS FOR THERE TO BE TWO COMPETING IDEAS THAT ARE BOTH ON THEIR OWN WORTHY AND VALUABLE.

UM, WE WOULD RATHER HAVE, HOPEFULLY, COME TO ONE UNIFIED VOICE AS TO WHAT THAT MEANS, UM, OR WHAT THE BAD HOUSE SHOULD BE NAMED AFTER.

THAT BEING SAID, OUR NEXT MEETING WE'RE HEARING FROM THE INDIGENOUS CULTURE INSTITUTE, UM, UM, THEY PARTICULARLY HAVE, UH, STRONG TIES TO THE CA WALTON PEOPLE, UM, WHO INHABITED THIS AREA AND, UM, WHO VIEW BARTON SPRINGS AS A VERY SACRED PART OF THEIR, UH, CULTURE.

UM, ONE THING THAT I, I THINK BOARD MEMBER, I DON'T KNOW IF BOARD MEMBER BAAN KNEW THIS, BUT THE BARTON SPRINGS IS PART OF A, LIKE A SERIES OF SPRINGS, UH, FOUR, THE FOUR MAIN ONES BEING MARTIN SAN KAMAL, SAN MARCOS, AND SAN ANTONIO, THAT THEY VIEWED AS A VERY, LIKE A, A SPIRITUAL BEING, UM, THAT WAS VERY IMPORTANT TO THEM.

SO, UH, I'M VERY EXCITED TO HEAR ABOUT THAT FROM THEM.

AND, UM, I'LL ALSO SAY ONE OF THE THINGS THAT ALSO HAS BEEN THROWN AROUND IS NAMING, UH, THE BATHHOUSE AFTER A INDIGENOUS WORD THAT, UH, MET AND IS VALUABLE TO THE PEOPLE OF, UH, UH, WHO INHABITED THE AREA BEFORE THE SETTLERS DID.

UM, I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S THE ROUTE.

I DON'T KNOW IF THAT'S THE DIRECTION WE'RE GONNA TAKE.

LIKE I SAID, WE'VE

[00:50:01]

THROWN OUT NAMES, WE'VE THROWN OUT SEVERAL NAMES.

UM, SO RIGHT, RIGHT NOW WE'RE IN THE PHASE OF BRAINSTORMING.

I DON'T KNOW IF A BOARD MEMBER BAAN HAS ANYTHING ELSE TO ADD TO THIS AS WELL.

YEAH, I JUST WANTED TO ADD THAT THE, THAT THE NAMES ARE COMING FROM THE COMMUNITY INPUT.

SO PEOPLE WHO'VE SPOKEN OVER, OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS, WE'VE DEFINITELY NOTED THAT.

AND ALL OF THOSE NAMES HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED AND ARE STILL ON THE TABLE.

UM, AGAIN, AS WE TALK AS, UM, MR. VELO LOPEZ SAID, WE'VE ALSO TALKED ABOUT AN ENTITY.

AND I THINK SOME OF THE THINGS THAT WE'RE, WE'RE KEEPING IN MIND IS, UM, WE'VE HAD A COUPLE OF OTHER GUEST SPEAKERS AS WELL.

UM, THE WOMAN WHO WORKED ON LIVING LIVING SCREEN, KAREN COKER, KAREN COKER.

UM, AND, YOU KNOW, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT SHE SAID THAT I KEEP COMING BACK TO IS THAT THE HUMAN HISTORY IS A SLIVER OF THE HISTORY OF THE PLACE.

UM, SO WE ARE JUST WEIGHING ALL OF THESE THINGS OUT AND, UM, I, I THINK AT THE END OF THE DAY, JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW THAT IF YOU'VE SPOKEN, WE'VE HEARD YOU AND THOSE NOTES HAVE BEEN TAKEN BACK TO THE WORKING GROUP.

UM, AND WE ARE, WE ARE ALREADY SET TO MEET AGAIN.

AND SO, UM, JUST APPRECIATE Y'ALL'S CONTINUED CONVERSATION AND INPUT WITH THAT.

THE OTHER PART OF THE WORKING, UH, THE OTHER OBJECTIVE OF THE WORKING GROUP WAS TO EVALUATE THE, SO, UH, EVALUATE THE WAY THAT RACIAL HISTORY WAS, UH, IS TAUGHT AT THE BEVERLY SHEFFIELD EDUCATION CENTER.

UM, ONE THING I DIDN'T KNOW WAS THAT IT'S MANDATED THAT THE BEVERLY SHEFFIELD EDUCATION CENTER BE PRIMARILY ABOUT THE AQUIFER, THE SALAMANDER SPRINGS WATER, JUST BECAUSE OF IT BEING A, UH, THE SPRING ITSELF BEING A FEDERALLY PROTECTED SPRING.

UM, SO, UH, GETTING, UH, ONE OF THE, UH, LEARNING ABOUT, UH, ALL THE GREAT WORK ACTUALLY THAT THE CITY HAS DONE TO, IN REGARDS TO TALKING ABOUT THE HISTORY OF MARTIN SPRINGS FROM INDIGENOUS CULTURES TO THE, TO THE SEGREGATE TO THE SEGREGATION AND DESEGREGATION OF, OF IT.

UM, OBVIOUSLY, UH, JOHN COBELL IS A HUGE PART OF THAT.

UM, SO BEING ABLE TO HEAR AND SEE ALL THE WORK THAT THEY'VE DONE TO TRY TO APPROPRIATELY CONTEXTUALIZE IT AND TELL IT IN THE MOST FACTUAL OBJECTIVE WAY POSSIBLE HAS BEEN VERY, UH, UH, HAS BEEN VERY GOOD TO HEAR THAT, THAT, THAT, THAT WE, THAT WE HAVE VERY GOOD HISTORIANS AND PEOPLE WORKING ON THIS PROJECT THAT, UM, HAVE A VERY GOOD POINT OF VIEW IN REGARDS TO HOW THEY TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS.

I WANTED TO ADD ONE MORE THING THAT, THAT WAS EXCITING ON THE, ON THE HISTORY SIDE, IS THAT WE DO HAVE, AS WE'RE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THIS, WE'VE HAD HISTORIANS COME AND SAY THEY'VE LOOKED BACK AT THEIR NOTES AND HAVE SEEN SOMETHING THEY DIDN'T SEE BEFORE, OR WE'RE ABLE TO MAKE A CONNECTION WITH SOMEBODY AND HEAR ANOTHER PART OF THE STORY.

UM, AND SO, SO THOSE THINGS, ALTHOUGH THEY'RE, THEY'RE SECONDARY, ARE REALLY EXCITING FOR THE HISTORICAL ASPECT AND THE PART OF THE EDUCATION CENTER.

UM, YOU KNOW, AND THE PIECES THAT'LL BE BE FOR THAT.

AS, AS PRA SAID, THERE'S THE, THE SCIENCE PART AND THEN THERE'S THE VARIOUS STORIES THAT WE'LL BE ABLE TO TELL AND HAVE, UM, HAVE THOSE COME AND BE SHARED WITH THE COMMUNITY AS WELL.

SO THAT'S, THAT'S JUST AN EXCITING THING THAT WE'VE BEEN ABLE TO SEE SOME OF THIS HISTORY, LIKE A APPEAR, I GUESS.

YEAH.

AND LAST THING I'LL SAY IS I KNOW THAT I SPOKE WITH MR. COBB AT THE BEGINNING, WELL BEFORE THIS MEETING STARTED, UM, AND I'VE INVITED HIM TO JUST COME, UH, UH, SPEAK, UH, BE PART OF OUR NEXT MEETING, UM, SO THAT WAY HE CAN TALK TO US ABOUT HIS APPLICATION AS WELL.

BECAUSE LIKE I SAID, I'M NOT, THIS IS NOT, I'M NOT, I DON'T WANT IT TO GET, I DON'T WANT IT TO SEEM LIKE I'M SAYING ANYTHING BAD ABOUT 'CAUSE I'M ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I JUST WANNA MAKE SURE THAT WE GO INTO ALL OF THIS AS, UH, AS UNANIMOUS AS WE CAN.

'CAUSE I, I THINK THAT'S WHAT THIS, BECAUSE PROJECT MERITS AS CONSENSUS AND, UM, EVERY A, A NAME THAT WE CAN, EVERY, EVERYONE CAN BE PROUD OF AND THAT EVERYONE CAN SUPPORT ANY QUESTIONS FROM ANY BOARD MEMBERS.

ALRIGHT, WE'RE GONNA MOVE ON TO, UH, AGENDA ITEM NUMBER TWO,

[2. Staff briefing on status of the Barton Springs Pool Pecan Tree. Presenter(s)]

WHICH IS A STAFF BRIEFING ON THE STATUS OF BARTON SPRINGS POOL, PECAN TREE.

I DUNNO, WHAT, DO WE WANNA TAKE A RESEARCH REAL QUICK BEFORE WE GOOD TO GO.

GOOD EVENING.

BOARD MEMBERS, KIMBERLY MCNE MCNEELY, SERVING AS THE PARKS AND RECREATION

[00:55:01]

DIRECTOR.

AND I HAVE MY COLLEAGUE JOSHUA ERICKSON, WHO IS HERE, UH, ON BEHALF OF THE FORESTRY DIVISION, UH, WHO IS THE FOREMOST EXPERT ON OUR STAFF, UH, RELATED TO, UM, TO FORESTRY ISSUES AND ITEMS. AND SO HE IS HERE JUST IN CASE.

THERE ARE SOME TECHNICAL QUESTIONS THAT I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ANSWER.

SO WE'RE HERE TO TALK ABOUT FLOW.

FLOW IS A TREE THAT HAD BEEN NAMED, UH, AT BARTON SPRINGS BECAUSE OF ITS ICONIC NATURE, IT HAS BEEN LEANING OVER THE, AND I MEAN THAT IN A POSITIVE WAY, NOT IN A NEGATIVE WAY.

IT HAS BEEN PART OF, UM, OF BARTON SPRINGS SINCE 1920.

IT IS CURRENTLY SUPPORTED BY CABLES AND A PERMANENT STEEL STRUCTURE BECAUSE OF, UM, IT, ITS NEEDS FOR US TO, BECAUSE WE HAVE CARED ABOUT IT SO MUCH AND THE NEED TO BE ABLE TO TRY AND KEEP IT, UM, IN ITS, ITS CURRENT LOCATION AND AS STABLE AS POSSIBLE AND KEEP OUR COMMUNITY SAFE.

THE TRUNK CAVITY IS PARTIALLY FILLED WITH CONCRETE.

UH, AND THAT WOULD HAPPEN SOMETIME AROUND 1958.

AND, UH, THAT IS NOT AN INDUSTRY PRACTICE OR AN INDUSTRY BEST PRACTICE ANYMORE.

IF YOU HAVE SOME TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT THAT, THAT'S WHY JOSHUA WILL BE ABLE TO HELP.

UM, WE HAVE FENCING AROUND THE CRITICAL ROOT ZONE TO REDUCE SOIL COMPACTION, AND WE ACTUALLY PLANTED A SECOND PECAN TREE A LITTLE BIT UPHILL FROM FLOW TO REPLACE THE CANOPY IF INDEED FLOW DECLINED TO A POINT, UH, THAT WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SAVE THAT PARTICULAR TREE.

SO WE TRIED TO PLAN AHEAD AND BE PROACTIVE IN KNOWING, UM, ALL THE WORK THAT WE HAVE DONE PREVIOUSLY TO TRY AND KEEP IT, UH, ESTABLISHED AND, AND IN PLACE THAT THERE MIGHT COME A TIME WHEN THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN.

SO THAT'S, THEREFORE WE PLANTED THAT SECOND TREE.

UM, THERE IS A DIAGNOSIS, UH, FROM, UH, AUSTIN, NO, NOT FROM AUSTIN, FROM, UH, TEXAS A AND M AND TEXAS A AND M LET US KNOW THAT THERE IS A BRITTLE CEDAR SEA CINDER FUNGUS THAT HAS INFECTED THIS PARTICULAR TREE.

I'M NOT EVEN GONNA TRY TO SAY IT'S SCIENTIFIC NAME, BUT I'M SURE JOSHUA KNOWS HOW TO SAY IT.

UM, WHEN WE FOUND OUT THAT WE RECEIVED THOSE RESULTS, RIGHT, THERE WAS, THERE WAS, UM, AN OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO HAVE VISUALLY SEE THOSE, SEE SOMETHING WAS NOT RIGHT WITH THE TREE.

AND SO THEREFORE WE WERE ABLE TO, UH, HAVE THOSE LABS TAKEN AND NOT TESTED.

PLEASE KNOW THAT ON OUR WEBPAGE THERE IS A PROJECT PAGE OR A PAGE THAT TELLS YOU ABOUT FLOW AND THE ACTUAL LAB TESTS ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE IF YOU WANTED TO READ THEM YOURSELVES.

UM, IN RESPONSE TO THAT.

SO WE KNOW THAT WE KNOW THAT THE TREE HAS THIS FUNGUS.

AND SO IN RESPONSE TO THAT, WE, IT SAYS RIGHT HERE THAT WE CONTACTED THREE INDEPENDENT, UM, CERTIFIED ARBORISTS, BUT WE ACTUALLY CONTACTED AT LEAST FOUR.

AT LEAST FOUR, AND WE HAVE A FIFTH INDIVIDUAL THAT WE ARE, WE HAVE A CALL INTO THAT WE ARE HOPING WILL RESPOND TO US.

AND OUR IDEA HERE IS THAT WE WANT TO UNDERSTAND FROM OTHER ARBORISTS, OTHER THAN OURSELVES, WHAT IS IT THAT THEY WOULD, UH, RECOMMEND HAPPEN TO THIS TREE OR WHAT ARE SOME OF THE REMEDIES OR OPTIONS OR AVAILABLE IN INTERVENTIONS, IF ANY EXIST? UM, FOR THIS TREE, OUR UNDERSTANDING IS THAT THERE'S NO REAL EFFECTIVE TREATMENT FOR BRITTLE CINDER FINK FUNGUS.

AND THAT MEANS THAT EVENTUALLY, UH, THE TREE GETS TO A POINT THAT IT'S NO LONGER STABLE.

UH, AND, BUT WE WANT TO HEAR FROM OTHERS, UM, IF THEY HAVE A SIMILAR VIEWPOINT AND IF THEIR INTERVENTIONS ARE SOMETHING DIFFERENT OR SOMETHING, UH, CREATIVE THAT WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO IMPLEMENT.

SO KNOWING THAT IT, IT HAS SOME INSTABILITY TO IT, UH, AND THAT THIS FUNGUS, UH, IS A AVAIL, IS THERE, EVEN THOUGH THE TREE LOOKS HEALTHY, WE'VE ADD ADDITIONAL SUPPORT ROPES.

SO, UH, THAT HAD BEEN INSTALLED AND WE ALSO PUT OUT SOME BUOYS IN THE, YOU CAN KIND OF SEE THEM, THOSE RED, THEY'RE ACTUALLY RESCUE TUBES, BUT WE HAD BUOYS AND NOW WE ADDED RESCUE TUBES TO MAKE SURE THAT THE AREA WAS DEFINED SO THAT, UM, WE'RE KEEPING THE, THE COMMUNITY AND THE PATRONS OF THE POOL AS SAFE AS POSSIBLE SHOULD THAT TREE BECOME UNSTABLE.

AND OUR NEXT STEPS IS THAT WE'RE AWAITING THOSE RECOMMENDATIONS OR THOSE, UH, IDEAS OF WHAT THE POSSIBLE INTERVENTIONS COULD BE OR IF THERE IS A DIFFERENT RECOMMENDATION FROM THE, THE, UH, INDEPENDENT CERTIFIED ARBORISTS.

AND AGAIN, IT SAYS THREE, BUT PLEASE KNOW THERE'S AT LEAST FOUR AND MAYBE A FIFTH ON THE WAY.

WE WILL TAKE A LOOK AT THOSE RECOMMENDATIONS AND THEN WE WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO REPORT THOSE RECOMMENDATIONS BACK OUT TO, UH, THE COMMUNITY.

OBVIOUSLY, WE'LL PUT THAT ON THE, ON THE, UH, PROJECT PAGE THAT WE HAVE ON THE WEBSITE.

AND WE WOULD LIKE TO, IN PART OF THAT PROCESS IS TO BE ABLE TO HAVE SOME COMMUNITY FEEDBACK.

WE FELT AS THOUGH IT WOULD BE DISINGENUOUS TODAY TO BE ABLE TO TAKE COMMUNITY FEEDBACK ABOUT FLOW BECAUSE ALL WE KNOW IS THAT FLOW HAS THIS DISEASE.

WE DON'T

[01:00:01]

KNOW ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT WHAT OTHER ENTITIES MIGHT, UM, SUGGEST THAT WE ARE ABLE TO DO WITH FLOW.

AND SO THEREFORE WE WANTED TO BE, GIVE A COMPLETE SET OF INFORMATION, UM, TO BE ABLE TO HAVE CONVERSATIONS WITH THE COMMUNITY.

WE ARE ABSOLUTELY WORKING TO, UM, MINIMIZE THE POTENTIAL FOR THE FUNGUS TO SPREAD.

AND IT'S MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT IS VERY COMMON.

UM, HOWEVER, UH, THE FORESTRY TEAM HAS TAKEN PRECAUTIONS TO MAKE SURE THAT OTHER TREES, ESPECIALLY THE ONE THAT'S RIGHT UP, UM, RIGHT DIRECTLY ABOVE FLOW IS, IS AS HEALTHY AS IT COULD POSSIBLY BE.

WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT WE SAY IF THERE IS THE NEED TO REMOVE FLOW, THAT WE'LL ABSOLUTELY WANT TO EX UH, FIGURE OUT A WAY TO HONOR, UH, FLOW AND HONOR.

UH, ITS LONG HISTORY WITH BARTON SPRINGS AND TO MAKE SURE THAT FOLKS WHO CARED A LOT ABOUT FLOW ARE ABLE TO, UM, FOR LACK OF A BETTER TERM, TAKE A PIECE OF FLOW WITH THEM.

UH, YOU MIGHT REMEMBER WE DID HAVE A SITUATION WITH THE TREATY OAK AND WE WERE ABLE TO, AGAIN, THAT HAD IT.

UM, IT'S UNFORTUNATE.

AND, AND WE WERE ABLE TO HONOR, UH, THE TREATY OAK BY HAVING, UH, MEMENTOS THAT PEOPLE WERE ABLE TO, UH, HOLD ONTO TO REMEMBER THE TREATY OAK.

AND SO IF FLOW WERE TO HAVE A SIMILAR FATE, WE WOULD WANNA MAKE SURE THAT WE WORKED WITH THE COMMUNITY TO FIGURE OUT HOW DO WE HONOR FLOW, AND HOW DO PEOPLE, UM, MAKE SURE THAT THEY HAVE A MEMORY OF THAT PARTICULAR TREE.

SO WITH THAT SAID, THAT WAS A VERY QUICK BRIEFING AND WE'RE HERE FOR QUESTIONS MOSTLY.

UH, JOSHUA IS HERE IN CASE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TECHNICAL.

I HAVE A QUESTION.

WHO DID, UH, YOU SAID YOU GOT INDEPENDENT ARBORIST, IS THAT CORRECT? DID I HEAR THAT CORRECTLY? YEAH.

OKAY.

UM, HOW DID Y'ALL FIND THE INDEPENDENT ARBORIST? WE STARTED WITH, UH, ONE OF THE, THE ARBORIST THAT IS ASSIGNED TO THE, THAT ZONE.

WE HAVE, UH, SEVERAL CONTRACTORS THAT WE HAVE A MASTER AGREEMENT WITH.

UH, THOSE ARE, THOSE ARBORISTS ARE BROKEN DOWN INTO SECTORS OF THE CITY.

UH, AND SO WE TOOK THE ARBORIST THAT OVER, UH, THAT WORKS IN THAT SECTOR OF AUSTIN.

UH, WE REACHED OUT TO THAT COMPANY AND ASKED THEM TO PROVIDE A REPORT.

TYPICALLY, IF WE HAD WORK THAT WE WERE,